About the first screenshots
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog

#1: About the first screenshots Author: GerwinLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:05 pm
    —
Today I was surprised to see a new Close Combat game, at least screenshots of it.
32-bit vs 8-bit graphics?  I was in the impression that CC was at least 16-bit to begin with.
Testing a COI screenshot shows me that it contains more then 256 colors (8-bit), so it has to be 16-bit at least.

Generally not to impressed with how the 32-bit tactical game looks. Seems a bit blurry, the suggestion of heights and shapes is just so so..

...Wish someone else had to source code of this series.
Last week saw an unnofficial and anonymous patch for the games Thief / Thief II / System Shock II.
Very impressive work on that upgrade for these older games (1999/2000).

#2: Re: About the first screenshots Author: mooxe PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:12 pm
    —
I was not impressed either. It could be because I am so used to looking at the original graphics that the 32bit graphics look out of place. Or it could be just like you say... blurry. The dead soldiers do look superimposed on the map, and once again no angle view of the buildings or vehicles.

#3: Re: About the first screenshots Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:05 pm
    —
Ditto,

I knew they would never get the vehicles to mesh properly with the underlying terrain.

Also, for some reason the soldiers looked out of scale with the tanks, and I can never really tell if the the tanks are not in scale
with the roads or buildings.

I was under the impression that all the scales (soldiers, map, buildings, etc.) were going to be the same.

Anyway, I looked back and forth and I like the 16 bit textures better as well. But overall 32 should be better, and maybe some additional examples will come out soon.

#4: Re: About the first screenshots Author: dj PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:25 am
    —
As I recall reading on the Slitherine forums, those screenshots were suppose to be for the early TESTING.

Please do not tell me that is the actual screenshot of real game play.  I hope I remembered correctly...that would be a pity that the latest game is waaaaaay worse than CC2 going back to the 90's.

I have some faith in Slitherine though...certainly more competent than the pitiful shoestring budget Matrix spent.  Or maybe Matrix did not spend any real money and just used part-time developers splitting their time with other games.  Also since allegedly Slitherine is managing the production, not the Matrix people...so there is some hope.

#5: Re: About the first screenshots Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:40 am
    —
You guys are wrong, it looks really good.
And new features are just awesome Smile.

#6: Re: About the first screenshots Author: Sapa PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:38 pm
    —
I will wait this time until the patching is done before i buy it...

#7: Re: About the first screenshots Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:30 pm
    —
Quote:
I will wait this time until the patching is done before i buy it...

you are right I believe still I think it will worth buying since the release or maybe pre-order Smile

#8: Re: About the first screenshots Author: GerwinLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:01 pm
    —
I was thinking, it looks good enough, as it does not really matter much. Of much greater importance is wheter the the graphics can be modded more easily.
I still use an older Cross of Iron (2009.9.4.1) as the base for all my Close Combat gaming. It would be nice if the Panthers in the fog game could be considered a solid base to convert mods to. But then it should not contain any show stoppers, such as the girly soldier problem of later COI versions.

#9: Re: About the first screenshots Author: Stwa PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:13 am
    —
Me thinks Gerwin is dead on.

PITF needs to be the new base going forward for 2d games, and I am thinking it might be set up in the campaign style of CC4/CC5.

Guys that like COI or CCMT are not going to like that.

However, if they include a good battle editor, and the ability to add new maps (i.e. not replace maps), then I will be a buyer for sure.

That being said, I wonder if the game will render obsolete all the maps that have come before (the 16 bit versions). Perhaps older maps can be simply converted?

If true, there just won't be a lot of 32 bit 2d map development going on apart from what Slitherene makes, so maybe it is just a moot point.

#10: Re: About the first screenshots Author: GerwinLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:38 pm
    —
Yes I don't expect to see the CC3 linear campaigns, in fact the screenshots already show the strategic map.
But if it is done right it should be enjoyable even for a CC3 player like me.
Allthough when I tried LSA some things were just odd, The logic and the looks of the LSA battle group setup screen was not quite there yet.

PS. I my previous post I wrote about an earlier version of COI not having the girly soldier problem, I read that somewhere. But it is not true of course.
But now I did manage to play COI with the original CC3.exe v3.0b from the year 2000. It requires the new campaigns and ops to shift places a little,
but then it works fine. That fixed things. Surprisingly COI with the 2011 patch works with the exact same game data as the original from 2000.

In COI the campaigns and ops are also fixed inside the game, very strange. I can only imagine that they did that to force them to appear
in the list in the order they desired, instead of alphabetical.

#11: Re: About the first screenshots Author: 0202243 PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:07 pm
    —
first teaser of the game, it' s not much
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1HmaAh7iVw&feature=g-u-u

but it is something  Laughing

#12: Re: About the first screenshots Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:37 pm
    —
At least we know a date.....NOVEMBER 2012

#13: Re: About the first screenshots Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:09 pm
    —
Teaser video remind anyone of The Pacific?

Geez..........

#14: Re: About the first screenshots Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:34 am
    —
Yea, except the The Pacific trailers were in color.  Laughing

#15: Re: About the first screenshots Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:35 am
    —
More emphasis on fog in that video too.... I can't wait to see the fog effect hahaha........

#16: Re: About the first screenshots Author: dj PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:37 am
    —
I can see some Fog on the half-baked screenshots.  Is the GA date really next month?

#17: Re: About the first screenshots Author: dj PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:06 pm
    —
Screenshots have been updated on Slitherine's website.  Looks better now as they near GA date:

http://slitherine.com/games/cc_pitf

#18: Re: About the first screenshots Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:38 pm
    —

Link

Link

#19: Re: About the first screenshots Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:51 pm
    —
In Slitherine's webpage it says that the release is 31/12/2012 and I only see three screenshots, are there any more?

#20: Re: About the first screenshots Author: MF_Church PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:14 pm
    —
Sorry, been away from here but popped in today !    (so busy / PREoccupied) *  :|

Wow.. November!

Time flies !

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
Page 1 of 2