Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1222
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
mikwarleo

Rep: 38.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:56 pm Post subject: World War One Mod Reply with quote

I was watching a doco on WWI the other day and it dawned on me that there are no WWI mods for CC5. I'm wondering if any have been attempted? Maybe the other CC games cover WWI (I'm only familiar with CC5)...

I'm sure someone has considered it somewhere but I for one would really like to see a WWI mod.

Anyone else out there who'd like to see a WWI CC5 mod?

20min games | Replace Commander | Disband Rule | CC5 Strat Guide

Heeresarmee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm *imagines huge tanks with 6 gunturrets spraying hails of lead in threnches and the Red Baron strafing French soldiers in the mud* Yeah i`m in! Very Happy

But seriously, it would be something else huh? Trenchwarfare. First a huge artyshelling, then ordering your men into murdering machinegunfire and the enemies counter barrage to use bayonets and knives (if they make it that far) cleaning out the enemy trench.

andima

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:43 pm Post subject: WWI on CC5 Reply with quote

I am doing a Gallipoli CC5 mod.
30 maps to finish.
I hope to release the mod next year

Andima

Pzt_Wruff

Rep: 17.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The CC5 engine would work really great for WWI warfare imho.

a quality WWI mod would be sweet.

mikwarleo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:39 am Post subject: Re: WWI on CC5 Reply with quote

Yeah, the trenches, those big dinky tanks, old MGs, BI plane airstrikes, would be great.

andima wrote:
I am doing a Gallipoli CC5 mod.

looking forward to it.

ANZAC_Tack

Rep: 22.3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:52 am Post subject: i enjoyed cc3 ww1 mod Reply with quote

has female and male british tanks, many smaller, bug ass 18lb guns,all the rest, had hellish barrages.

espree de corp

rufus

Rep: 50.4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

a ww1 mod would be great.perhaps an early war mod,before trench warfare took over and there was a war of manouver. or verdun, a fight for the forts were the germans tryd to bleed the french army white or maybe the german spring offensives of 1918 or perhaps the infamous somme battles of 1916,theres lots of potential for ww1 mods. looking forward to your gallipoli mod andima good luck with it.

GS_v_Richthofen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

A WW1 mod would be great. Its new territory for CC5 Smile
Most teams have 10 Soldiers ,In game Airstrikes like in Berlin Mod Very Happy Very Happy
By the way, it would be cool when you can use Artillery more than one time.
Everywhere Explosions on the Battlefield while storming enemy trenches Rolling Eyes
Is this possible ?

von_crum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:46 pm Post subject: WW1 Mod Reply with quote

Check this site out
http://www.closecombat.org/cambrai/
Its hard to tell whether this mod is still in progress or not.
It looks like it has great potential

ANZAC_Tack

Rep: 22.3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:33 am Post subject: it was in cc3 Reply with quote

try the cc3 mod, it has most of what you all ask, but in ccv it would be way cooler!

it had indirect artillery fire(basically a single soldier/officer, with whurf rockets explosions, sounding like 18lb artillery, most devestating, it was in 4rd bursts(4 gun battery) with i think 4 or 6 salvo's.would kill anything, even the big german tank.

thinkWF9.1(like gjs a bit)or commonwealth summer sub mod actually. also had flak 88 air burst, no good on armour, but hellish on inf.

CS(commonwealth summer) also had indirect naval barrage(again whurf with no actual truck, just a soldier) could kill king tigers.

espree de corp

diggin.robat

Rep: 39.7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi grogs,

Well, this thread is alread some months old, but I wanted to let you know, what had happend to our WWI modding so far.

For about one year we started a second attempt at making the first WWI mod for CC5. We, were the remains of the original GWmod-team Tim, Sapper_Damon and me. We started with CC2 a while back and made the CC3mod too. I planned a V2.0 for CC3 but it never left HD in its unfinished state. We decided to head over to CC5 and my idea was to display a part of the 1917 offensive at Cambrai where tanks for the first time played a major role. Also was it a battle were german stormtroopers were used in great numbers in the succesful counteroffensive. In that way it was not a usual WWI battle but offers a somewhat outbalance gameplay.
Our team was joined by wellknown Sbufkle, Yukon Gold, Col_Olorin and Corsair. Sbufkle set up a homepage at whischour Progress could be seen. Corsair, living next to the real battlefield supplied us with numbereour fotos of the country side, exactly 89 years later to the date. We had outlines of the 44 maps to make from original battle and trench maps and a raw scetch of the strat map. I supplied informations and sketches of the trench patterns and pillboxes and bunkers, wartime fotos as well as making the OOB.

With the retirement of Sbufkle the page went down and at the moment we tr to reorganize us. I can´t say if and when we can get on again, due to ususal time shortenesses to me and other team members. I for my case would like to finish this mod one.
In so far I´m personnally looking forward to see Andima´s Gallipoli seeing the light of day as the first WWI-mod for CC5.

cheers

diggin.robat
www.greatwargames.com

GW modding team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

mikwarleo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:00 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd LOVE to see the finished product. Good luck getting some time together for it. Can I suggest if you need help starting a fresh thread calling for volunteers?

diggin.robat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,
before I would restart another try on CC5 Cambrai 1917 oer even CC3 GW v.2. I have to settle some RL things down. I know, this does not sounds like a promise, though. But there is anoter light on the horizon: Good old GWL_Sapper_D, a veteran of CC Great War editing and mapmaking has just been seen back in the trenches an he talked about finishing his CC3 AIF-Mod (in the making since 2002). It will cover the AIF´s campaings in France and Belgium in 1916-1918. Maybe we can expect news on that next year. Otherwise have a look at http://www.closecombat.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13754

cheers

diggin´

GW modding team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Pzt_dragoon47

Rep: 0.3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:36 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to have forward observers in a squad? That, with a high reload rate can keep up the arty barrages and also in-game airsupport would be nice like in BoB.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

diggin.robat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be no problem. I think there is a CC3 or CC5 mod out with an arty observer in a command team. After all it is nothing more then a indirect (or direct as some prefer) salvo weapon. In CC3 GW I made them too cumbersome to move around with long setup times, heavy weapon weigth, a min. range of 100m and min. base accuracy. This should prevent them from being used as supermen.

GW modding team

Digs

Rep: 56.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Two other mod ideas...

The American Civil War? (1861–1865)

The War of 1812? (1812-1815)

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Digs wrote:
The American Civil War? (1861–1865)

There is already a sub-forum for this at the CSO.

Digs wrote:
The War of 1812? (1812-1815)

Interesting suggestion. In theory Close Combat has the game engine for the age of breech loading.

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote

hi!
other idea......
spanish-american war in 1898(Cuba)

cheers

heia Safari!!

diggin.robat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since CC2 I was never convinced of the CC-engines abiity to display "horse and musket"- period properly. It begins with the number of men (sprites) involved and the soldiers behavior. In those times, speaking of 18th century, followed by napoleonic age until roundabout mid of american civil war and also european conflicts like the prussian wars of unifications (1864, 1866, 1870-71) and others, battles were fought literarily with "the infantry men´s chest" with the musket or rifle being seldom more then a one shot "firing pike". Men were needed in their thousands on a battle field of medium CC-size. The soldiers were always trained to fight in lines, solid formations requiring a good deal of training and discipline to produce a maximum of fire in which individual targeting was discouraged in favor of the psychological effect of volleys at company, battalion and brigade. Using the bayonet was an important matter with single shot muzzle or later breech loaders, but mostly by psychology since real close combat (sic!) seldomly took place. Going in with charged bayonett was only commanded when the foe was nearly beaten by fire and then mostly broke in front of a determined charge. Letting the soldiers lying down in fornt of intensive enemy gunfire was firstly executed by Wellington in Spain and Waterloo and was only inofficialy the rule in the american civial war. Even the prussians guards were mown down kneeling "at the ready" at Spicherer Höhen or Gravelotte Saint Privat, but still were able to storm the french postions. Using cover and going down for it had to be even relearned by the british army at the Boar Wars with much blood.
Close Combat, for my opinion, is only good for fire squad based infantry tactics which were only developed on the muddy and bloody entrenched fields of WWI. Entirely missing is the option to form any kinf of linear formations in CC. Basing on squad sized combat elements is not working to display this in any way.
You can think of the TV- series "Sharpe Rifles" and their guerllia like tactics as light infantry men in a non linear warefare (and think of their memorable adventures, lot of spanish wine and women too). That level of musketry warfare could be displayed with CC but could get boring after a while, at least because cavalry, which played an important part in that age, is dearly missing.

Spanish-american war is something possible for CC, I suppose even with the lack of showing skirmish lines. CC is at best at the age of magazine rifles and the growing tactical awareness of using cover in face of an increased firepower by small arms.

mytupence

GW modding team

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Modding Workshop

Jump to: