Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
SVTsnipe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:56 pm Post subject: PTRD team strategy? Reply with quote

Hey, I'm a newbie, been only playing CC3 for a couple of months. Is there an effective way to use the PTRD/ATR teams or are they just worthless? Historically I belive the PTRD rifles were effetive against Mark III's and IV's, and could do other minor damage to bigger tanks, esp tracks. It seems that in CC3 the best I can do with an ATR team is to "damage" a small tankette as well as a car/halftrack, or knock one out after at least a dozen shots. Just shooting a halftrack with a Dshk is seems to be much more effective! Mad
P.S. I'm using Real Red, not sure if it has any effect on the ATR teams though.

SVTsnipe aka talkischeap

Troger

Rep: 17.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:49 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never really choose ATR or PTRD units, for the fact they have never really worked. My best suggestion would to ambush a tank and wait till it gets about 14 meters in.. Go for side or back hits so you can immbolize.. Frontal i dont think it will do much unless it keeps shooting and shooting, but you'll probably be seen.....

Try ambushing getting them in close, but in that case its mroe effective to go with molotov troops....

gl troger

Troger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:51 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, i dont think the ATR weapons were made for blowing things up, it was more for disabling or killing the crew i believe.

Also try the panzerjager mod by leur, should be up on this site within the week.....

Panzerjager mod increases AT Capabitlity for infantry, should help the ATR.

after reading some historical things on the ATR and PTRD it told me they were only used for light armour. So HT's and the earliest of soviet tanks could be destoryed. By 1942 the ATR was complelety out of front-line use...

So if you figting the first year of the war, you should be able to use it with some success

SVTsnipe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, ok, the reason I mentioned Mark III's/IV's is because I looked at a copy of an official 1942(?) manual for a PTRD rifle and it gave instructions on how to hurt a Mark III I think, well perhaps at 14m you can mess up its tracks or something, althouhg in usually in CC3 if my ptrd guy is about 14 m away he either gets killed right away or after the first shot...but i guess that depends on where he's hiding, etc.

SVTsnipe aka talkischeap

Troger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea it would be best to hide it in a wooded area or urban area. I dont think you need to wait till 14 meters in but it would be best to be under 30 meters, even though its range is 60 meters. Ambush's are the key. The pzIII that was 1942 onwards, but for the one that was retired form front-line service was the german PzBuchse ATR..... the PTRD was used more into 1942 into 43 and could penetrate 25mm of armour.....

troger

Tribaltank

Rep: 1.2
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys those teams are pretty much useless against tanks, they immobilise at best but since they are very cheap you can use them as cheap forward observers and, more important as very good snipers against infantry!
They will whipe out small infantry teams easily if placed in good ambush positions. But to be fair, only buy these guys if you have nothing else left to buy and are stuck with a couple of otherwise useless points.

Tribaltank

Arg0n

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:42 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I just wanted to say that the PTRD and PTRS were used till the end of the war because germans used a lot of armored cars and armored personel carriers and these rifles could penetrate their armor. I once managed to knock out a panther with PTRS when i fired from the fourth floor because of weak top armor- a problem to all tanks, so use them on a higher position to get better results.
Have a nice day! Arg0n.

Tula

Rep: 9

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it quite ammusing and fun to use the Simsonov ATRs Very Happy
It is yes, a challage but then thats half the fun. I always keep at least
one on the roster.

Support the ATR rifle team with another team in ambush. Draw alot of fire on the vechicle to get them to button up, then sneak around and get a good solid top or rear shot. Urban areas work best especially if you can lead a tank down a narrow path.

I definitly would not call them a useless team, you just have to employ them in such a way that they are effective. Key to using them is the same
for any team, use them only when they are at advantage and right for the job. Never leave them to fend for themselves they will die fast.

KG_Cloghaun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

IMO, the ATR team that does not fit a game like CC, when all you have are 15 units slots at best. In particular, the Russian PTRD was historically & ideally used in mass in order to achieve maximum effect. A typical Russian Rifle Battalion would come with nearly 2 dozen PTRD teams and would operate as a single entity.

These ATR teams were fairly effective against the lighter AFV's mentioned in this thread.

KG_Cloghaun
Kampfgruppe, Commanding

Kampfgruppe - A Wargaming clan since 1998

Tula

Rep: 9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote

In CC3 the battlefield is basicly a much scaled down version of reality.
In this case a mere team or two would be historicly accurate.

PTRD and PTRS Atr, basicly were littering the battlefields in the east.
These weapons were commonly used not only for Anti tank uses but also
Anti material roles.

Here is an interesting link regarding how the rifles were employed and used.
This booklet fully shows how to employ the gun to it's best use, Worked well on the Eastern front and also works very well in the game.

http://www.battlefield.ru/library/bookshelf/weapons/weapons9.html

Happy hunting!

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 3: The Russian Front

Jump to: