Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
 Author
mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:15 am Post subject: What are you reading? Reply with quote

After Christmas I started my reading crusades again. I have always had an interest in the German side of the war so I picked up four books. The 1st one I am reading is, "It Never Snows In September." It is a Somewhat strategic, more so tactical, and primarily 1st person account from the Germans in Operation Market Garden. I am about 2/3's done and its really great. I was hooked after the preface. Graphic accounts of the horrible fighting are presented in genuine detail. The second book is, "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer. It is an autobiography of a German soldier on the East Front. Third book is, "Sniper On The Eastern Front", by Albrecht Wacker. They are about the memiors of Sepp Allerberger. It looks interesting. Last book is one many are familair with, "Panzer Commander." I read the preface and it was very interesting. Cant wait to read this book.

Last edited by mooxe on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:19 pm; edited 6 times in total

ANZAC_Tack

Rep: 22.3
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:37 am Post subject: at the moment Reply with quote

"TOBRUK" released this year by a sydney journalist who wrote kokoda, good mix of australian soldiers diaries, general morehouse and letters from rommell and stories from italian soldiers"barbarians from the colinies"as they called the aussies.

first half of book follows soldiers training,accounts, many humarous"british soldiers would see a MP when drinking, and hoof it, aussies would say, hay we outnumber them, lets hook in to em!" just begun second half, the hasty retreat over hundrens of miles to the 'aussie alimo,with a good ending' amazing how these 'bushmans artillery('cooks,drivers and infantrymen using captured italian guns/anti tank guns)putting old 47mm ATGs on sandbags and bricks,as they had no mounts! firing and picking up the barrell to fire again! killing a german general!(a GHW (sorry to pissed to get up and check names) something attached oversear who went into scout)

next is 'the great war'.
love xmas presents these days!Burp...oh and the beer presents are sadly gone...

espree de corp

God4Saken

Rep: 0.7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day all. For Tack, I've started reading Les Carlyon's "The Great War", which I got for Xmas (Along with obligatory socks/underwear and (Thank God!) some booze. So far it is absolutely excellent and highly recommended. For those of you unaware of Aussie author Carlyon's works, this is his second major book, following on the heels of "Gallipoli". Both are non-fiction books that deal with the Australian Army in WW1, with "The Great War" focussing on the battlefields of the Western Front. It's as thick as a Chinese phonebook, and I find it hard to put down, but it is compelling reading (Even though I should be studying).

My favourite part so far is how Carlyon describes this Aussie soldier in the trenches in France who went out, got drunk but lost his way on returning to his trench. Winding up at a British trench, he told them that he couldn't return late without some sort of excuse, otherwise he'd be AWOL. So he went over to the German lines, threatened to throw a grenade into their bunker unless one of them agreed to surrender to him. One of the Germans did, but the Aussie was too tired/drunk to carry all his gear, back to his trench. So he made his German POW carry it all, even his rifle, although he remarked to the British soldiers on his return, that he'd take the rifle off the POW as the got nearer to the Aussie positions "As it might look bad".

"Gallipoli" was also just as great, both should be required reading by everybody here at CloseCombatSeries.

ZAPPI4

Rep: 33.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:40 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

mooxe wrote:
... The second book is, "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer. It is an autobiography of a German soldier on the East Front. ( A very excellent book, u ll feel in the RUssian snow uncer bombing and partisant in this book... It's very very nice detailed and really nice writted ...) Third book is, "Sniper On The Eastern Front", by Albrecht Wacker. They are about the memiors of Sepp Allerberger. It looks interesting. Last book is one many are familair with, "Panzer Commander." I read the preface and it was very interesting. Cant wait to read this book.

Actually i'm reading a book named " Les bienveillantes" 1/2 read and it's a good book ... Story of a SD officier during the WW2 on many front ... It's not the better i read, i prefered " Le soldat oublié" forgotten soldier.... But it's even a good book but really if u readed the forgotten soldier u'll get nothing more by reading Les bienveillantes, except maybe the personnal feeling of this SD officer.....

Tout est possible ... il faut juste connaitre quand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Pzt_Kevin_dtn

Rep: 10.9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just finishing up The Battle of Okinawa by George Feifer. Talk about intense and bloody battle.

For Christmas I got:
Not Ordinary Men by John Colvin - Based on the battle of Kohima (India)
Gate of Fire by Steven Pressfield - based on battle of Thermopylae (480 BC)

Not sure which one I'll start next.

I'd like to find a good book based on:
- WWII Allied Campaign on Italy. I know Rick Atkinson is writing one but its not finished yet. Atkinson won a Pulitzer Prize for penning a good book titled Army at Dawn based on the Allied North African campaign 1942-1943.
- I'm also interested in delving into the Napoleanic Wars - any suggested reading (besides Tolstoy)?
- I think I might go and get Cornelius Ryan's works as well even though I've seen the movies a ton of times (Longest Day, A Bridge Too Far)

Yes I'll admit it, I'm also looking forward to the last Harry Potter book. There I said it and am not ashamed of it. Wink

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Technics of industrial fishery lol

Uberdave

Rep: 26.9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

'Frontsoldaten' by Stephen G. Fritz.

GS_v_Witzleben

Rep: 25.1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

"Erinnerungen eines Soldaten" Heinz Guderian

kind of biography

regards

GS_v_Witzleben aka _irgendwas

Polemarchos

Rep: 27.3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinhard Gehlen - The Service (great Intelligence info)

Partisan Warfare L.V. Richards ( good)

Antony Beevor - Crete (am a little disappointed)

Aspects on Asymmetric Warfare - Nomos Scientific Study Group

I never stop reading those three, cause they are endlessly long:
Command Magazine - Hitler's Army Evolution and Structure of German Forces 1933-1945 ( 40 Essays about everything!) Everybody needs that

Percy E. Schramm: War Diary Wehrmacht 1940-1945 8 Books (1500 pages each)

Helmut Heiber & David M Glantz : Hitler and his Generals
All surviving stenographic record of the military conferences of OKW from 1942-1945 - Awesome book for research bought it in the US for just 18$
( i think it may be controversial possessing the last two in Germany, but i dont care since i use them for scientific inquiry)

p.s. Gates of Fire is an very good book!!!! have fun reading it pal... Afterwards
read herodot's histories to get a full picture of the battle

To brave men few words are as good as many

AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:44 pm Post subject: yeh Reply with quote

Inside Hitler's Headquarters 1939-45, W. Warlimont - xlnt...

C.A Ehrensvärds books, and after his death his diarys is awalible.
XLNT - XLNT - XLNT..
Compare his wrighting in books "nice - but edgy" to his wrighting in his diary, his own deep inner thoughts, and train of thoughts. .. .. . ..

And yes, Helmut Heiber & David M Glantz : Hitler and his Generals its a xlnt book, i agree..

B. von Lossbergs book from 1948 is intretsing to, many plans he was into is in it. hard to get hold of though...

Stalk

Pzt_Mac

Rep: 3.4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

'Running with Scissors' - freaky deaky shit.

'The Principles of War' - which I am continuously reading.

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 98.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

God4Saken wrote:
G'day all. For Tack, I've started reading Les Carlyon's "The Great War", which I got for Xmas (Along with obligatory socks/underwear and (Thank God!) some booze.

I was in Borders at Chadstone with a gift certificate in my hand a few weeks ago. I nearly picked up this book - I wish I had now. I guess I'll buy it myself.

Blackstump

Rep: 24.5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Urban's Rifle's (6 years with Wellingtons sharp shooters )

"percute et percute velociter"

maedhrosfr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:50 am Post subject: Reply with quote

"jusqu'au bout de la resistance", its a book about concentration camp, 50 persons describe their "live" in this hell. a good book.

ANZAC_Tack

Rep: 22.3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:13 am Post subject: how did i know... Reply with quote

Polemarchos.. i knew u would post about a dozen books! but we do it for fun! lol, no i know you do also ;o)

but where are the funny quotes, brief cretiques? 1500 pages dosent sound very fun to me...

i read about 30 mins a nite, sometimes i get a marathon day, like yesterday, 1 1/2 hrs at the pool, then 1 hour last night. love holidays, i can go a book every 3/4 days, aint it grand! but my new job has gone 'pernament' and there is overtime to the end of MAY! 6 days a week, maybe some 12 hr days...oh the pain, but oh the overtime$$$

espree de corp

yukongold

Rep: 7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The second book is, "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer. It is an autobiography of a German soldier on the East Front.

Mooxe, The Forgotten Soldier is an excellent read. It has had a fair bit of criticism as to whether it is ficticious or acually based on Sajer's experiences. I have had a copy for some twenty years and have read it several times. My personal view is that there is no way Sajer could have described the events without having experienced them.........not so much in terms historic accuracy, rather, in his personal reflections. I would be interested in hearing your view after you have read it.

Read more about the debate.........

http://members.shaw.ca/grossdeutschland/sajer.htm

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

The Forgotten Soldier... well it was my first memoir book written by non-high officer, usually they were Chiefs of Staff, Commanders of Army Groups,etc.
It has shocked me actually...especially the part of their attack on soviet trenches and then soviet counter offence...well u prolly remember when he had returned with Mosin rifle instead of Kar in the end.

In no way to be used as historical reference tho it does content very interesting subjective vision on the events happened.

But well, i don't like memoirs since the time i've got access to some first hand/archive accounts.

Some examples:

1.Guderian writes that he met T-34 in september 1941 for the first time.
Actually in July 1941 T-34 were already in Kummersdorf for tests...I can post some photos of captured T-34 in June Wink.

2.One german tanker(who was infantryman, then tried to become FJ) had met tons of T-34-85 during Kursk offensive, he even describes how 85mm shell pen.ed frontal armour of his Stu.PzIV and killed everyone but him Wink.
Anyway don\t remember his name, had his memoirs as e-version. Gave link to kamf, maby he still has it...
In reality production of the T-34-85 has started in December 1943...

Not to tell about tons of memoirs that state that they were engaged by or were engaging IS-3, and some even write about KO 1-2 Smile.

Huh, while iam in mood i gonna post one AAR of first(documented) battle of IS tanks Smile.

Polemarchos

Rep: 27.3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:54 am Post subject: Re: how did i know... Reply with quote

ANZAC_Tack wrote:
Polemarchos.. i knew u would post about a dozen books! but we do it for fun! lol, no i know you do also ;o)

but where are the funny quotes, brief cretiques? 1500 pages dosent sound very fun to me...

i read about 30 mins a nite, sometimes i get a marathon day, like yesterday, 1 1/2 hrs at the pool, then 1 hour last night. love holidays, i can go a book every 3/4 days, aint it grand! but my new job has gone 'pernament' and there is overtime to the end of MAY! 6 days a week, maybe some 12 hr days...oh the pain, but oh the overtime$$$

well actually the war diary is a kind of chronologic encyclopedia for orders and aar of the german army... letters are very tiny and it is indeed not easy to read...

mainly i check up stuff for my own interest or to help some people with historic data in future mods when i find the appropriate order...sometimes even exact data about mgs or AT is given, smoetimes nothing...

dont have a scanner here now but for example the books feature order of battle of the whole german army gropus s in 6 moths intervalls, which alone is fun reading... Also oil supply rates, replacements, organisation and similar stuff is given.

I wouldnt advise anybody buying them cause they are expensive unless ypu really need them for research... Since i analyse yugoslav partisan movement it was usefull to get the german evaluation of each operation conducted against partisans to check how they transformed tactics in the course of the war. The War driary for real is nothing you read linear, you search for segmets e.g which and how many division where threre and what supply did they have by official records minus 20% friction of war and are near to the truth. It is a reading back and forth with references to other handbooks everywhere.

Ps. Anecdote especially for Anzac-Tack : In the book AT-Stalky also praised about the hitler-OKW conversations you can get the exact amout of rifles and mgs the indian legion was given by the germans, something quite interessting for friends of mod feturing exotic units.

Also over 2000 pages Hitler nearly never uses the word Russians, he refers to them as "he", so it becomes a little strage reading. Ofcourse the conversations during high crisis times are read as if they are a bestseller thriller, so get rather this one..

ps.2. damn overtime, hopefully you get repayed as desired.

To brave men few words are as good as many

chocoleibniz

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Sajer's The Forgotten Soldier really is excellent. The author has such a descriptive, passionate style that he really takes you into the trenches with him.

The three bits I remember vividly:

1. The description of the artillery barrage. He stresses, then stresses, then stresses again, the sheer terror and indescribable sensations brought about by heavy shelling. I recently lived through the Israeli attack on Beirut and the first thing I thought was: 'Sajer, hey, I now feel more about what you were saying!!!'

2. The bit when they get some supplies in the German base after trekking for a while, and one of them breaks the silence with a hearty 'Oorah Rodina!' prompting great laughter. I laughed out loud with the landser.

3. The bit when they find a billet in some bakery and the description of the top bunk which was situated above the oven!! The sheer ecstacy after trudging through the snow!

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Sajer's book sounds great. I am happy its almost 500 pages. I am almost done It Never Snows In September.... One thing I wont forget is the description a German gave from the ground of the 1st drop of Polish AB troops. He goes on to say how the Luftwaffe swarmed a Polish glilder formation. One of the fighters tore into a glider, and as it was breaking apart in mid air, he could see a jeep, some heavy weaponry and soldiers just falling out of it. Its hard to describe what I think when I read that. I guess its just pure hell and mayhem to be in that situation.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page : 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to: