Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1210
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
zapataz38

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:21 pm Post subject: successfully running CC5 inside vmware on linux Reply with quote

I successfully run CC5 inside vmware and playing H2H. I'm using a machine running linux ubuntu, it was the only simple solution I found to play CC5 without using dual boot. Sometimes it crashes at the end of a battle, it runs better when hosting a game on a true windows machine but it allow me to play Smile

Anybody have experiences with the same software or a similar one ?

FYI vmware is a free PC virtual machine or emulator, for more information use your favorite search engine Smile

ZapataZ

Sorry for my poor english

machinehead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:03 am Post subject: Wine 0.9.27 Works Reply with quote

I have got CC5 to work under Wine 0.9.27 with Fedora Core 6.

To make it work you do have to install it on a windows system and copy the files accross and add the reg setting in. The main thing is that CC5 must start in a virtal desktop.

Details are at the winehq web site

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very, very good news.

Close Combat is one of the few reasons I haven't dumped Microsoft altogether.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:18 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run CC3 under vmware win98.

The host PC was running win2000... so not Linux.

This is very good news though as I tried a few years ago to run CC3/5 under wine / Linux , loaded OK but I couldn't get it to start the game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

falkoga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:37 pm Post subject: cc5 in ubuntu Reply with quote

very nice to hear! am also thinking of switching but cc ties me to windows.

CSO_Talorgan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but VMWare server is now available in the repositories, for Ubuntu 7.10 at least (and 8.04 can only be days away from release). It can be had using the Synaptic Package Manager:

System > Administration > Synaptic package manager

Do a search for VMWare and the server should show up in the right-hand pane.

Tick all the boxes (don't know if that's right, I just did it).

Press "Apply" and the software is installed just as if "Add/Remove..." had been used.

There is a difference though because a registration number is called for. When you reach the dialogue box requesting this, press the "Help" button and you'll be whisked off to VMWare's website. You have to fill in a questionnaire thing, presumably so that VMWare can understand its potential customers better, but are presented with the free registration number at the end. Copy and paste this into the package manager box and the application installs happily.

Access VMWare server off the Applications menu and opt to create a new virtual machine.

Then you have to dig out your Windows XP disc.

Crying or Very sad

My heart sank at this point. I guess after footering around with Wine I fondly imagined that this would not be required. I guess I am now discovering the difference between on the one hand, an emulator, and on the other, virtualisation software.

The perils of the uninitiated in the world of I.T.!

However, I did continue.

You load XP just as you would on a computer (!) In my case this took bloody ages because I do all my Linux experiments on a wreck I found in the office skip, rather than the usual flying machine!

Then you load Close Combat as you would normally.

This is what it looks like:

That's Close Combat IV on Windows XP Home on VMWare server on a GNOME desktop on Kubuntu 7.10!

I have given the GNOME desktop a red colour to help you distinguish what is going on.

Obviously Close Combat is effectively playing inside a window on the Ubuntu desktop.

... and the battle wends its way to its usual conclusion with Talorgan being humped by the AI!

Laughing

This next shot might be of interest because it illustrates a fuller view. Note the two wee tabs top left. There is a truly full screen view without these tabs but I was not able to take a screen shot of it.

Finally though, disappointment:

Despite the tactical success in making this work, it is a strategic dead end, at least for those of us seeking to escape from the clutches of the Evil Empire. The yellow arrow points to the activation keys, the very dagger-at-your-throat which sent me down the Linux road.

Not sure what to try next.

They may have updated Wine. Its failure was a disappointment.

Cadega seems to work

http://games.cedega.com/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=3054

... but they were looking for a monthly subscription last time I looked, which seemed to defeat the whole purpose.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:34 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

What about win98.. no activation required and should be plenty of copies lying around, unused.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

CSO_Talorgan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Fnaar!

I'm trying to develope habits for the future. Having used Windows for the last 10 + years a degree of weaning is required. There is always a learning curve with new software. It's a good idea to get up it before you either *have to* make the unfamiliar work (and probably in an unpleasant frenzied panic) or pull out your cheque book.

Take a look at all the problems people are having with Vista on this very forum.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy

Jump to: