Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
 Author
emgee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

My first predates the computer age. At aged 21 I built a huge Russian army in 1.72 scale using anything I could get hold of. I had (still have) over 70 T.34s 76 or 85 and scratch built Su 76s from Chaffe bases, SU 152s from KV wheel bases, etc. I converted US Cavalry to Russian and built Katushya rockets from RAF refelling kits. Guns had to be British or German My mate was German and their gear was a lot easier to find. Just to get a game together took a year and playing on that scale was a nightmare using rulers and dice and lots of coffee. We had two huge mobile homes joined to get the space. I think once 52 hours of almost continuous play (we did indeed use stuff to keep us awake!) resulted in about one minute of 'real' time. Later moved to the small 1.300 white metal version. Easier to scale but just as time consuming to play. When I came across CCIII I nearly died as it was what I dreamed about all those years before. Kids don't know how easy they have it nowadays!

redrocco

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Squad leader and later Advanced squad leader
my first computer wargame was V for Victory: Gold-Juno-Sword by 360/Atomic followed several years later by Talonsoft's Eastfront

ablackhole

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Empire on my 8mhz 8088 PC

I still have Empire Deluxe for Windows.

baliki

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote

My first game was a stupid little game called sticks and stones.A board set in prehistoric times.the next was squad leader.(someone posted earlier they thought it came out in 78 or 79) It was actually 77.I still have have it.and of course all of the addon moduals for it like cresendo of doom and G.I. anvil of victory and ASL and all the addons for that.For those of you do not know the rulebook for ASL was a 3 ring binder.So as rules were ammeded that page could be taken out and the updated rule put in its Place.Ingenious really.At that same time i was also playing Great battles of the civil war by SPI who was bought out by TSR and they made 2 more games in the series My first game for the comp was a civil war game (Cant remember the name) on a 8086 processer.

Not to get off topic but I'm convinced that close combat is squad leader for the comp.I remember seeing an advertizement in "The General" magazine in the late 80's or early 90's for squad leader for the comp.It showed a screen shot of a Pz4 in defence mode.It had the exact blue cresent that cc uses to show defence. And remember reading something about that avalon hill and atomic were working on it together but there was some kind of falling out between the 2 companies and somehow atomic got the right to produce it.,And cc1 was the end result

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Avalon Hill's Afrika Korps boardgame. When I was 13...someone taught me how to play and ever since have been a big strategy wargame buff.

What will the Revolution Change? - Youth Brigade

abake

Rep: 1.3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:44 am Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I remember is CC2. I'm sure I played a few of those old fighter plane and helicopter games, but I can't even remember what they were about.
But when I got my hands on CC2 I was hooked!
Still am, but I don't have where to play it anymore...

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:27 am Post subject: Reply with quote

My first wargames were on C-64 - I remember some turn based games - probably set in Ardennes or something like that and a RT wargame - Guadalcanal.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

MF_Church

Rep: 26

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

To Abake: U can play cc2 at BattleHQ. The link is here at this site... somewhere.

Ahhhh. SPI. Simulation Publication Inc. !

It was a monthly magazine with a GAME! in it. I loved it. Prob. why cuz my attention span so short. Except for the monthly sub. for WW2ONLINE! ;p

First offline computer game was based on a great paperback book. "TeamYankee"! Smile

First online computer game... A Bridge Too Far! or Close Combat 2 on the Zone. Blessed or what! Very Happy I also loved the Sega Saturn ww2 game called "IronStorm". Still have both! hardware & software!

P.S. I think CC2 was based on a movie... ;p

diggin.robat

Rep: 39.7
votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly hard to admit: Warhammer Fantasy Battle 3rd Ed. But it enabled me to continue playing with little toy figures and brought me into contact with games with >6 sided dices...
CC1 was my introduction, but CC2 changed everything, never touched a dice since then.

GW modding team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

myguineapig

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

First war game i have ever played was Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far when i was about 10 year old Very Happy

Popov

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:03 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, chess, I guess... ;] And on the computer -
Amiga's "Harpoon" and "Warlords". Damn, these were two fine games, I kid you not....

Sweeper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

1st War game would have to be chess. 1st chit and map war game: OGRE. 1st computer war game: War of the Lance from SSI

Question Authority! (It keeps out leaders honest)
View user's profile Send private message GameRanger Account Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Drakken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Dune 2 forever Smile some russian fans even managed to do some mods for it Smile

And 1st game on CD was C&C... i remember it was New Year gift from my father... CD-ROM and CD with C&C Smile

And... Panzer General 1 for sure Smile

p.s. also remember old game "Iron cross", but cant find it Sad

Boia chi molla

ogrando

Rep: 51.1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:55 am Post subject: Reply with quote

CC3 and the same days i saw "Save private Ryan"...
...and after i interested in simulation, story, tech, relatively the WW2.

Mopolopy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:18 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum... chess, Abalone, Risk, Monopoly (Laughing) then on computer: Dune (1 by Cryo not the ugly 2 by Westwood Smile), closely followed by Age of Empires 1 BUT preceded by CloseCombat 2 (trial version, in fact)

And bottom of the list : Hearts of Iron 2 Doomsday

MjrMadMike

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:15 pm Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

I playied on a friends computer cc1. Sadly, it had to go another 2,3 years till i had my pc

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:30 am Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

I started playing PC wargames around 1991.

Patton Strikes Back 1990

This game was Real Time.

https://youtu.be/oIPT6KL83OY

Harpoon 1989 Modern Naval and Air Sim

https://youtu.be/K1yo3ZBCQLc

Populous 1989
This was one of the first RTS games.

https://youtu.be/foKdBTzpP84

Centurion: Defender of Rome 1990

Prepare for Battle! get a load of this Screenshot

Command HQ 1991
Great Game!

https://youtu.be/ENj9krQj6Kw

Knights of the Sky

Aces of the Pacific/Europe

Close Combat 2 A Bridge Too Far 1997

Close Combat III The Russian Front 1998

A few post Close Combat Addictions....

Ghost Recon 2001

World War II Online 2001

Operation Flashpoint 2001

Call of Duty 2003

Close Combat's most infamous SOB

Last edited by US_Brake on Wed May 06, 2015 3:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

RD_DeathDealer

Rep: 4.3
votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:21 am Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

SQUAD LEADER

Followed by Cross of Iron, Crescendo of Doom, and G.I. Anvil of Victory for the total experience.

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:10 pm Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

I think the first wargame I have played a lot was Legions of Death for Commodore C-64.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

speedtalker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:01 am Post subject: Re: What was your first wargame? Reply with quote

First ever wargame was the Apache sim "Gunship" on C64 and later on PC. More of a flightsim than a proper wargame, really. Then F14 Fleet Defender (real time flight sim, and a great one at it). Then CC IV, (played alot during a tour of duty in Kosovo) and then I was hooked! Been playing CC ever since, only break was during a tour of duty in Afghanistan, when the only game old and small enough to work on the armys old laptops was "Age of Empires".

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Jump to: