Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1212
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Author
Sapa

Rep: 76.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:49 pm Post subject: Give me 5 reasons to buy WaR? Reply with quote

Payment for me in Sweden to buy Close Combat Wacht am Rhein by digital download:

29.99 Euros will be 38 Us Dollars, 23,84 Brittish pounds, 295 Swedish Kr + 25 %.

Is this worth it? For about 350 Swedish Kr i could to Germany and by 7 X 30 = 210 cans of 33 cl of Carlsberg beers but of course they will be gone and the game will stay.

I hope that Shane who made the 64 maps and the unknown person who made the vehicles will get their share of the money??

I am sure of that this is a great game for me but the cost Sad well i am not sure about it...

Mats

Flamethrower

Rep: 11.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:42 pm Post subject: Re: Give me 5 reasons to buy WaR? Reply with quote

Sapa wrote:
Payment for me in Sweden to buy Close Combat Wacht am Rhein by digital download:

29.99 Euros will be 38 Us Dollars, 23,84 Brittish pounds, 295 Swedish Kr + 25 %.

Is this worth it? For about 350 Swedish Kr i could to Germany and by 7 X 30 = 210 cans of 33 cl of Carlsberg beers but of course they will be gone and the game will stay.

I hope that Shane who made the 64 maps and the unknown person who made the vehicles will get their share of the money??

I am sure of that this is a great game for me but the cost Sad well i am not sure about it...

Mats

1. Amazing maps - Shane at his best (JimRM2 did some gems too)
2. You are a great modder and it is a modder's dream by comparison to previous versions - looking forward to what you can do with it - Italy?
3. A conservative estimate of playing the GC (against what is reported to be a "better" AI) could be 40+ hours of gametime so that works out to less than a dollar an hour - great entertainment value for wargamers
4. I've played it at length and it is way fun
5. Definitely more fun than a snootful of beer

yuma

Rep: 11.6

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to hear about it coming down to the cost of the game, but in todays economy its understandable. For me it is a MUST have and even though the money could probably be spent better elsewhere...my order is in and its now a daily wait for the mail to arrive! Plus that trois ponts map is a thing of beauty and worth the price of admission by itself! As are all of shanes and jims maps for WAR......

CSO_Linebacker

Rep: 5.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

yuma wrote:
I hate to hear about it coming down to the cost of the game, but in todays economy its understandable. For me it is a MUST have and even though the money could probably be spent better elsewhere...my order is in and its now a daily wait for the mail to arrive! Plus that trois ponts map is a thing of beauty and worth the price of admission by itself! As are all of shanes and jims maps for WAR......

Good call yuma, The new Trois Ponts is gorgeous. If you think that is a beauty, take a look at Troisvierges...another all new beauty. Jim and Shane did a magnificent job with new maps and re-inventing the old ones.

'If it does not have a gun, it cannot be fun'

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:29 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hard to give five reasons.

When you are actually playing the game, in a battle, theres not that much difference. I will agree with those who says its the best retail version of Close Combat to date, but still using the same "technology" from the year 2000.

Playing H2H you wont even experience whatever the AI has to offer. The AI can still be massivley trounced, the only way it can beat you is with hordes of tanks.

I know alot of work was put into some changes to make it more modding friendly. Those changes are all under the hood and only for the people able to mod. A very niche crowd in an already niche crowd.

There are sound and graphic changes that are nice, but the same is said for mods.

The 64 maps is nice. Four turns per day is nice. Was it neccasery? I don't think so because very few people complete a 25 day, 44 map GC with two turns per day.

I bought WaR to keep CCS as up to date as possible on whats going on and to promote the CC Series.

Now I do thank S3t and Matrix for releasing this game. I know a ton of work was put in by many people around here and that is also commendable. It carries on the series, this site, and everyones interests.

The root of my pessimism, or optimism, whatever the best word is, is that I have waiting for eight years now for the next greatest Close Combat, and what is being released is mostly the same thing from eight years ago. Although thier hands are tied, and although this is our only chance, the blame IMO must go to whoever is holding the torch, deserving or not!

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Last edited by mooxe on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sapa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for the answers! I must confess..it is my wife who arguments about buying the game.

Now i could say if i buy it i will not drink the beers who i would buy for the cost of it! :ok2

Mats

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think so because very few people complete a 25 day, 44 map GC with two turns per day.

You could play the 15 day or 12 day campaigns, even more fun with the compressed time element.

1. 64 maps - always wanted to succeed with a pincer movement
2. Improved AI
3. Balanced and working Battlegroup and Forcepool system
4. Bug fixes

and as mooxe said

Quote:
I will agree with those who says its the best retail version of Close Combat to date
It's great to play the best version of my favourite game.

Sapa, I hear a chant for the Azzuri Italy, Italy, Italy.........
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

ZAPPI4

Rep: 33.3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a multiplayer dedicated space to play?

Tout est possible ... il faut juste connaitre quand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Sapa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

He He i was thinking about Typhoon...battle of Moscow Smile

First half of the campaign with German advantage and then releasing the Sibirian wolfes in the counterattack..

must get the game first Crying or Very sad

Mats

Flamethrower

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

mooxe wrote:
I will agree with those who says its the best retail version of Close Combat to date

that kernel is a bit buried in the rest of your post which tailored to the (our) quest for the CC "Holy Grail"....but as a hardcore CCer and leader of the CC community that statement comes as high praise indeed

Flamethrower

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

schrecken wrote:
Sapa, I hear a chant for the Azzuri Italy, Italy, Italy.........

Italy Italy Italy!

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:59 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mats, if you get the game let me know, i've got a few ideas too

Sapa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:22 am Post subject: Reply with quote

southern_land wrote:
Hey mats, if you get the game let me know, i've got a few ideas too

Thankyou Shane!! Razz I can feel the power from the south of the globe reaching the cold north Wink

Mats

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:58 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, Sapa and SL! Looking forward to a new mod from you guys.
One thing though...looking at the stratmap text files...working out those X,Y coordinates for a new stratmap is going to be a bitch! Sad
As for graphics...unless Stratedit is updated...it will be a lot of work to create new Stratmap graphics with more than 44 maps.

Vman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should probably whip out the old credit card and give my support to the developers - mostly in hopes of one day seeing a CC6.

AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

First impression is v positive

flick

Rep: 17.6

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it run on 128 RAM?

Stop laughing!

CSO_Linebacker

Rep: 5.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

squadleader wrote:
One thing though...looking at the stratmap text files...working out those X,Y coordinates for a new stratmap is going to be a bitch! Sad
As for graphics...unless Stratedit is updated...it will be a lot of work to create new Stratmap graphics with more than 44 maps.

once you get the hang of it, it really isn't too bad. Jim and I had the WaR stratmap up and running in about a week. Unless the word 'center' is involved in the coordinate description (ie, Map Center), then the x,y coordinate is referring to the top left pixel of an image box.

If I get the time, I will work on putting together a guide of the steps that Jim and I went through

'If it does not have a gun, it cannot be fun'

RD_Oddball

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

CSO_Linebacker wrote:
squadleader wrote:

once you get the hang of it, it really isn't too bad. Jim and I had the WaR stratmap up and running in about a week. Unless the word 'center' is involved in the coordinate description (ie, Map Center), then the x,y coordinate is referring to the top left pixel of an image box.

If I get the time, I will work on putting together a guide of the steps that Jim and I went through

I have to agree with Neil that it's not that big a deal. As a matter of fact we did it twice! LOL Not with in that week tho. The first time was a week at 133% larger than what it is now then again at it's current size. The second time I used a spreadsheet to shrink the co-ordinates and it came out pretty close. Only minor tweaking.

Neil if you get the time to do that tut, let me know if you want my two cents. Will be glad to throw in what I can recall about it.

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Looking forward to studying the Stratmap making guide.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Wacht am Rhein
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: