Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
Nomada_Firefox

Rep: 32.9
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:51 pm Post subject: No 3D soldier houses vehices etc. Reply with quote

Admin (stalky) info: I have splited thease post that are very intresting and is all about CC in 3D, I here split em into a this own thread. Orginaly they came from here: http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5546

zcharles wrote:
As always i bought War for 30$. But this is not a new game, only a nice mod.
What we really need is:
-3D tanks with a true illumination and true shadows; it whould help to understand the map h meters; it whould be very very eaasy for a developer to build 3D vehicles!!!!!!!!! But they don't have time for this, apparently.

What do you know about 3D models? nothing as I see. I have been working on things as these the past months. And it is not easy or fast.

People see 3D games and they think that you can make them easy. If it is easier, why do not we see a 3D game from another company as Close Combat? I have played many others and their style of game are different.
I remember very well GICombat and Squad Assault, they were games with good 3D models but they were not fun playing. I play sometimes Theater of War and it is less funny than a Close Combat. Why do you think that people want a 3D Close Combat game? I´m sure that most of the people want play a 2D Close Combat where all can mod it without problems and it runs on a old computer.
About the other things. I believe that you have not played WAR or you have played it without a open mind from the first moment because it is very different to other CC games and it correct all the bad things from CC5 by example.
And if it is a mod, why not I made it many time ago?

"Nada escapa a mis dominios".
Clan Nomada Web Site
FirefoxCCMods Web Site
(Only www.FirefoxCCMods.com is a English web site).

Kojusoki

Rep: 22.7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT even try to make CC in 3D!!!! In my opinion, a good Close Combat is a 2D Close Combat. I have no difficulties in reading the map - (rmb and you see the the current height) Hiding over a table? Come on... maybe hiding under the bad with a sniper rifle;)

CC is good as it is now. If it is moved to 3d, it will beacome a more... how to say it... avaible for masses. And being avaible for masses will change the game the way I am very afraid of.

Lets take Civilization - they made it into 3d and it is more or less OK, but trully I prefered an old 2d graphics. This kind of games, I belive, doesnt have to be extra super beautifull with 3d animations ala Crysis. They must be Close Combat...

Lets take Dominions 3 - this game has...an even ugly graphics. But this game has a soul. To be honest, in such games graphics is just a nice addon. What keep me playing this games is the concept, and the "soul" of the game.

Of course it would be perfect to have a perfect game with perfect concept, fully preapared, without bugs (yes matrix, without bugs...), with low sys reqirments etc. But lets be realistic

They made WaR and in this 2d it even doesnt work properly on my graphic card:) So dont even touch a new thing:)

drGreen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:07 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like 3d try Theatre of War

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:15 pm Post subject: Re: WaR?? Only the usual poor game Reply with quote

Nomada_Firefox wrote:
I have played many others and their style of game are different.
I remember very well GICombat and Squad Assault, they were games with good 3D models but they were not fun playing.

Same here. Actually, it adds things like camera management. I tried playing squad assault and CM3 and I had too much problems with FoV and perspective to enjoy it.

On the other hand CC could use some new 2D things like destroyable building walls, collapsing buildings (these were done in 2D X-Com series long time ago), etc.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

Nomada_Firefox

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(these were done in 2D X-Com series long time ago)

Do you think that X-Com Apocalipsis graphics are better than CC WAR graphics?

I see on my obligation as CC player remember you that on CC WAR when you destroy a building on a battle from a operation or campaign, when you play again this same map, you see this building destroyed. I think that people forget it and they do not think that there are not too games making this. Graphics on CC are dynamic.

Clan Nomada Web Site
FirefoxCCMods Web Site

lemon42

Rep: 4.8

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe that true 3D would help a lot. Don't be mislead by stupid 3D sims/games.

A true world still could use a view angle similiar to the known one. But buildings etc would have the real properties and would make it easier for collision detection as well as LOS.

But to say it's easy is a total understatement because all would have to be done new. It starts with the maps itself because now they are 2D and made into semi 3D by a greyscale layer (if I'm right here).
Trees, bushes, hedgerows etc must be constructed.
Soldier and equipment must be constructed in 3D and to make it worse animation must be done too.
Next the whole physics for the bullets, mortars and guns must be calculated in 3D instead of the semi 3D of the CC series.
Damage must be created.
And further the AI which isn't great must be able to navigate in 3D.

It's popssible to do all of this and to maintain a classic CC feeling because if done right the major difference would only be seen by zooming in and out and maybe be able to have different views/angles.

But it's a total new engine which would be not compatible to any existing mod or map. I hope for CC 6 but I don't believe that for such a small amount of people the work will be done.

I have bought and played Panzer Command: Kharkov but compared to the CC graphics and motion I don't like it.

But who knows what they are developing Wink

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread...

Leave the maps in 2D...absolutely!! Or 3D but with the patented CC 2D top down view intact.
3D with all the cam angles for a tactical (war)game is just too confusing...and in most modern RTS games the zoom out level is too limited...so you have to see the action up close (to show off the cool 3D models Very Happy).
Upgrade the effects (the current CC effects are dated) and maybe add realtime weather effects like snow, rain, night (night battles, yeah!). Add effects like vehicles/tanks leaving tracks.

Vehicles/Tanks should be 3D though (or based on 3D models)...so you can have realistic effects for vehicle movement and vehicle position (crested on a hill, tilting on it's side etc). If the tanks are 3D models...blown up vehicles can be animated and dramatic (turrets blowing off, tracks blowing off)...not just Boom->Explosion_Graphics->Smoking_Tank effects we have now Wink

As for soldiers...I don't think we need 3D soldiers...just make the animations smoother and richer...more 'poses' for our beloved soldier sprites if you will Smile

Destroyable building walls and collapsing buildings sound good.
Sure CC has this already...but move on from using simple sprites for damages.

Even with a 2D top down map...you can add modern effects to make the game presentation better and not look dated. And maybe combine them with 3D vehicles and collapsing buildings.

One thing though...a 3D view of the battle should be cool for playing battle replays.

Therion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

squadleader wrote:
Vehicles/Tanks should be 3D though (or based on 3D models)...so you can have realistic effects for vehicle movement and vehicle position (crested on a hill, tilting on it's side etc). If the tanks are 3D models...blown up vehicles can be animated and dramatic (turrets blowing off, tracks blowing off)...not just Boom->Explosion_Graphics->Smoking_Tank effects we have now Wink

Tanks don't need to be 3D for turrets blowing off - Armored Brigade has turrets blowing off without 3D models.

As for 3D tanks themselves - maybe voxels would be good for that? They are much easier to mod than polygons and 2D.
Also, lets remember that tanks in CC are small.

squadleader wrote:
Destroyable building walls and collapsing buildings sound good.
Sure CC has this already...but move on from using simple sprites for damages.

CC doesn't have this.
The building damage is very primitive - it just places one debris element in the hit tile. So for example a 1000 lb bomb hitting a building does the same damage as one HE autocannon shell.
Worse, you can't make holes in building walls - you could fire tank shells, RPGs, etc. on building walls, but despite that the debris element was created, it would still count as a wall.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Worse, you can't make holes in building walls - you could fire tank shells, RPGs, etc. on building walls, but despite that the debris element was created, it would still count as a wall.

No, that is not correct.

If a wall rubbles to brick rubble you can shoot through it.

In CCMT your troops could then run through the hole created

(I use CCMT because wall were impassable)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Therion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

It never happened while I played. It always ended up unpassable and blocking LoS.

Returning to the destruction of buildings - it would be nice if blast rating could damage the terrain too.

philjat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

"Returning to the destruction of buildings - it would be nice if blast rating could damage the terrain too"

+1

platoon_michael

Rep: 47.6
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Firefox,
I don't think the image you provided gives any support to the conversation about having 3D graphics for CC.
To be more specific the picture looks like crap.

Therion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote:

+1

AT_Stalky

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Can some here who play other games but CC, with 3D vehicles provide some screen shots of them from inside game?
Has panzer general 3D?
Plz

Edit Spelling

Last edited by AT_Stalky on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

zcharles

Rep: 15.1
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm. Hi there! I started this! But someone seems not to have well understood what i mean; i don't want 3D maps, i'd like to have a NEW cc, not another CC4 mod or (soon) cc5 mod.
Isn't it much better for ex the sound of many mods? It makes a better atmosphere making the game more "realistic" to the player. It would be the same with the graphics.
Do you remember the graphic upgrade cc3->cc4? We moved from a cartoon graphic to a film graphic. Cc4->cc5 made just some light work with the shooting guns, nothing else.
Nomanda you are one of the best modders for shure, but don't you think that with the right budget you could create a team that could make things like vehicles with the right angle of light, moving wather (possible in 2D), trees moving with explosions and wind (in 2D!), soldiers 30 times more animated (call some artist and pay him 2 days of work!!! all in 2D!!!) with correct weapons ecc... and maybe night fighting (in 2D!!). You know i'm a very little modder, but i'm a modder; i don't know how to program in 3d because i don't have time for it, but i kow something about informatics (not as much as you know, shure!) and i made small mods of other games too. For this reason i know that all this is possible, the problem is that CC has the monopoly over ours minds, the people of this site, that will alwais be CC fans! And they develop cc6 with low budget, because they know that we well for shure but it! And infact, it's so.
As i wrote, i repeat; cc is the best game of this planet, but i'm wery unhappy because i feel taken for a ride by the developers. Thanks.

Nomada_Firefox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote:
Hi Firefox,

Can you make some better? probably not.

Quote:
Nomanda you are one of the best modders for shure, but don't you think that with the right budget you could create a team that could make things like vehicles with the right angle of light, moving wather (possible in 2D), trees moving with explosions and wind (in 2D!), soldiers 30 times more animated (call some artist and pay him 2 days of work!!! all in 2D!!!) with correct weapons ecc... and maybe night fighting (in 2D!!).

Probably but it take time and it cost money. Do you know how many cost the program for to make this soldiers? 3Dmax 3000$.

I would not like a 3D CC and I think that the CCWAR is very good, it is fun and we can mod it easily without expensive programs. I have many of them but other people can not access to them.

Clan Nomada Web Site
FirefoxCCMods Web Site

Therion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomada_Firefox wrote:
platoon_michael wrote:
Hi Firefox,

It's not about your skills. It's about how 3D graphics look worse than CCMT. Especially the ground which looks like green puke.

Nomada_Firefox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Therion wrote:
Nomada_Firefox wrote:
platoon_michael wrote:
Hi Firefox,

It's not about your skills. It's about how 3D graphics look worse than CCMT. Especially the ground which looks like green puke.

First time than somebody speak about CCMT on this thread.

Yes bad terrain. Rolling Eyes

Take a look from this same perspective on CCMT and next tell me about it.

Clan Nomada Web Site
FirefoxCCMods Web Site

Therion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The ground texture looks like a green slime.

Nomada_Firefox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Therion wrote:
The ground texture looks like a green slime.

Now, you should to think how you would see the ground from a CC from the same 3D perspective. It would not be better.

Clan Nomada Web Site
FirefoxCCMods Web Site

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Wacht am Rhein
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: