Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1212
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
ww2lover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:47 pm Post subject: CC5 civil war mod? Reply with quote

hey all, sorry to bother, been a huge CC fan for quite some time, but never been able to find a civil war game worth anything, and was wondering if someone could create a civil war mod for me, i am willing to pay, just want a unit mod, something simple,

Sapa

Rep: 76.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:37 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, but i dont think that the CC engine is suitable for this kind of war. I recommend you to play Cossacks 1. Smile

Mats

ww2lover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:00 am Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe it would...star wars is a way bigger mod then a simple unit replacement mod.

Sapa

Rep: 76.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:35 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars?? Confused I thought you asked about the US civil war....

Mats

Searry

Rep: 3.2
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Civil war mod says a lot. There have been hundreds of civil wars in human history...

dgfred

Rep: 63.1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Sapa wrote:
Great, but i dont think that the CC engine is suitable for this kind of war. I recommend you to play Cossacks 1. Smile

Mats

Or give Take Command: Second Manassas a try Wink . I'm almost sure
you will like it!

Sports Freak/ CC Commander/ Panzerblitz Commander

ww2lover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote

first off, i was used star wars as a example....since the "cc engine cant handle it" but..as to what civil war...i mean american civil war...things like..change mg's into gatling guns, mortars into cannons. leave maps as is, small downloadable unit coversions maybe some smoke graphics and a sound addon
delete some units to save download space and time for just a simple unit conversion mod
some ideas
change some tanks into horse riflemen
Sharps rifle- The Sharps rifle (also known as the Berdan Sharps rifle) was a falling block rifle used during and after the American Civil War.This was much easier to operate from horseback than individual percussion caps.
Springfield Model 1861- The Springfield Model 1861 was the most widely used shoulder arm during the Civil War. It was favored for its range, accuracy, and reliability. The barrel was 40 inches long, firing a .58 calibre Minie ball
Pattern 1853 Enfield- The Enfield 1853 Rifled Musket was used by both the North and the South in the American Civil War, and was the second most widely used infantry weapon in the war, surpassed only by the Springfield Model 1861 Rifled Musket. The Confederates imported more Enfields during the course of the war than any other small arm,
Tarpley carbine- A southern breech-loader which was not widely produced, in part to mechanical flaws.
* Spencer repeating rifle

The Spencer repeating rifle was a manually operated lever-action, repeating rifle fed from a tube magazine with cartridges. It was adopted by the Union Army,
It is a little known fact that the Civil War did have crude hand grenades equipped with a plunger that would detonate the device upon impact of the target. The North relied on experimental Ketchum Grenades, with a tail to ensure the nose would strike the target and start the fuse. The Confederacy used spherical hand grenades that weighed about six pounds, sometimes with a paper fuse. They also used Rains and Adams grenades, which were similar to the Ketchum in appearance and mechanism
The sound and smell of the brutal cannon barrages at the Battle of Fredericksburg must have been overwhelming.Artillery of New Orleans on that commanding spot above Fredericksburg or with the 4th U.S. Artillery
A Model 1841 12-pdr gun, for example, had a 4.62 inch bore. The Model 1841 howitzers of the same bore size were therefore called "12pdrs" even though their hollow shells usually weighed less (though, depending on how they were packed, could weigh more) than 12 pounds. In short, by the time of the war, "pounder" actually referred to bore size rather than to projectile weight.
Model 1841 6-pdr Gun
The 6-pdr was a popgun. Used extensively during the Mexican War, it was made obsolete by the increased range of the available infantry weapons as much as by the coming of better artillery.
Though fairly mobile at 900 pounds, it's softball-sized shot was entirely too small to do much damage and it could easily be outranged, especially once rifled guns came into play. Most sources give it a range of about 1500 yards, but this is being generous. No doubt the gun could throw a shot that far but, at that distance, it's small round projectile could hardly be accurate and would be easy for troops to avoid.
These guns existed in large numbers at the outbreak of hostilities, however, and were pressed into service by both sides. Both sides also got rid of them as quickly as possible.

Model 1841 12-pdr Gun
Packing a solid punch and having a respectable 1600-1700 yard effective range, the 12-pdr was a much better weapon than its little brother. But its weight (1800 lbs) was a liability, just about at the top limit for the requirements of mobility in the field.

Model 1841 12-pdr Howitzer
This was by far the most effective field piece of the war for use at any range under 400 yards. Its large shells gave it firepower, while its light weight (less than 800 lbs) made it highly mobile and easy to position, even by hand.
Because of its mobility, the piece was readily adaptable for close infantry support. Nine of them were supposed to have followed the infantry in Pickett's Charge so as to protect its flanks and render whatever service they could in front. However some confusion of orders and effective Federal artillery fire during the pre-charge cannonade resulted in the nine pieces being unavailable. It is interesting to speculate what difference they might have made had they accompanied Pickett's troops. The 12-pdr howitzer's great weakness was its effective range, which is not much over 1,000 yards, well under that of even the 6-pdr gun. It made the piece an easy target for other artillery.

Model 1841 24-pdr Howitzer
When positioned in field fortifications, these were extremely useful pieces of ordnance because of their powerful 5.82 inch shells. Their 1400 pound weight made them a bit unwieldy in the field, and their 1300-1400 yard effective range put them at a disadvantage to other pieces. Nevertheless, infantrymen could not have relished the idea of charging a battery of 24-pdr howitzers.
E. Porter Alexander, General Longstreet's de facto Chief of Artillery for much of the war, called them "my favorite guns." (Alexander, p. 182) On occasion, he even had them mounted on skids and used as mortars.

Model 1857 Light12-pdr Gun Howitzer
Undoubtedly the best known field piece of the war, the "Napoleon" was a kind of hybrid in that it could do everything the other four smoothbores could do. It had more firepower than the 6-pdr gun, weighed 600 pounds less than the old 12-pdr gun, was every bit as sturdy as the bigger 24-pdr howitzer, and could fire shot or shell, with effect, to 1700 yards.
Model 1861 2.9-inch and Model 1863 3-inch Parrott Rifles
Captain Robert P. Parrott resigned from the army in 1836 to take over as superintendent of the West Point Foundry in Cold Spring, New York. He had long been interested in the problems of cast iron artillery and tried various experiments to overcome those problems. Apparently concluding that it was not possible to improve the metal itself, Parrott decided to create a stronger piece by reinforcing the cast iron with a band of wrought iron shrunk around the breech, the point of greatest pressure during firing. This was critical because rifles, with their tight-fitting projectiles, generated much greater internal pressures than did smoothbores.
The idea was not new, nor did Parrott claim it as his own. But he did devise a better method of manufacturing banded guns.
Torpedoes,we call them mines today, but in the Civil War they were just as deadly regardless of what they were called

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:38 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few glaring thing...
- Civil War era soldiers don't duck and crawl on their bellies when under fire Very Happy
This can't be modded (you can't even mod Japanese banzai charges 100% correctly with the CC engine).
- The max number of soldiers per infantry team AFAIK is (only) 10 men.
- CC soldiers just won't form line formations like civil war era soldiers...they tend to seek cover when moving or deploying.

I believe there was a discussion about a civil war mod over at CSO...but of course with the CC engine...you can only simulate (to a degree) skirmishes/scout battles. Full blown civil war battles are just not suited for the CC engine.

ww2lover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:26 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

since im willing to pay i guess the flaws dont matter, im not asking for some whole makeover or new tactics..just a simple "UNIT CONVERSION MOD"

Searry

Rep: 3.2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the engine doesn't really fit to the American Civil War.

CSO_Sbufkle

Rep: 32.2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I began, at earnest, a CC3 Civil war mod.. but lets talk three major flaws in all CC engines which make this not 100% historically viable.

1: soldiers dont advance in lines as they did in civill war.

2: Cavalry was big factor in CW. If you try to replace tanks with horses, they explode when shot (funny really) and youll hear 'bailing out!!"

3: Cannons which were so much a part of the CW, rip through infantry and buildings, they dont blow them up.. no fire, just rubble and guts

I joined up with a civivl War forum and wanted to get a historical list of NON CAVALRY battles to make a 'CW No-Cav' mod.. but didnt get to many battles thrown at me by CW buffs. I figured I just woudl live with cannons being explosive

I choose to model CC3 because with the Great War mod you have at least weapons CLOSE to the WR period which includes bug guns that could be toned down even more to be somewhat realistic. I also tested the HMG in the GW mod and thought it was a good 'Gatling Gun'.

I dotn mind taking historical accuracy off modding, but the fact is the majority of CCers do kind of think the other way.

A psudo Civil wart mod could be done, weapons modified, hell mellee coudl be changed to sword ect ect, you could have the Uniforms match, historical battlefields and a nice interface put you in the mood. But if yuor looking to create CC5 with a major strat map and no cavalry, it then dives into the realm of fantasy more than reality and liekly to tune alot of people away.

Somewhere in my disks i have a set of GUI screens for a CC3 Civil war mod....

flick

Rep: 17.6

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

So, no.

CSO_Sbufkle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

For CCV no.. for CC3 yes to a small degree.. the idea of a 44 map strat map with no cav would be silly. for the CW buff.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:00 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like advancing in lines would be the only problem... maybe a wavering Line Wink

2 and 3 are moddable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

CSO_Sbufkle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:27 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

schrecken wrote:
Looks like advancing in lines would be the only problem... maybe a wavering Line Wink

2 and 3 are moddable.

Enlighten us all if thats the only problem how your realisitically put cavalry into the game? (Horse is loading... aming...spinning, cant find path, bailing out...)

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a steampunk Civil War, then? With steam armored cars instead of cavalry and steam ironclads instead of tanks?

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the engine is good for infantry-only skirmishing?

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy

Jump to: