Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Aetius

Rep: 89.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:04 pm Post subject: CCIV Kreta (Maleme-Chania sector) v1.0 mod Released Reply with quote

The CCIV Kreta (Maleme-Chania sector) v1.0 mod has been released.

The mod and mappack are available for download in the CC4 download section (thanks to the CCseries admins for hosting it)

History

The Battle of Crete was a battle during World War II on the Greek island of Crete. The battle began on the morning of 20 May 1941, when Germany launched an airborne invasion of Crete under the code-name Operation Mercury mainly to protect the oil fields of Ploesti from allied bombing raids from airfields on Crete and deny the royal navy a naval base on Crete.
The defensive force on Crete constisted of a mixture of Greek, New Zealand, Australian, and British forces known as Creforce.

After one day of fighting, the Germans had suffered appalling casualties and none of their objectives had been achieved. The next day, through miscommunication and the failure of Allied commanders to grasp the situation, Maleme airfield in western Crete fell to the Germans, enabling them to fly in reinforcements and overwhelm the Allied forces.

The Battle of Crete was unprecedented in three respects: it was the first-ever mainly airborne invasion; it was the first time the Allies made significant use of intelligence from the deciphered German Enigma code; and it was the first time invading German troops encountered mass resistance from a civilian population. In light of the heavy casualties suffered by the parachutists, Adolf Hitler forbade further large scale airborne operations. However, the Allies were impressed by the potential of paratroopers, and started to build their own airborne divisions.

Description

The CC4 Kreta mod idea began when the CC5 Kreta mod was iced.
I didn't want the work we already done go to waste, so I decided to continue the Crete mod but convert it to CC4 and only cover the Maleme-Chania sector.

Now everyone wonders why CC4?

Because TT's VetBoB mod made me look at CC4 differently and thought it was underestimated and had great modding potential.
Although you can't select your forces from the force pool, the CC4 force pool is dynamic where you can start with a weak battlegroup giving more powerfull reinforcements over time, something that is impossible in CC5.

This mod mostly involves infantry fighting, Creforce only had a few tanks and vehicles and the Germans didn't have any armor or vehicles in the mod's timeframe.

Use the standard installation for H2H play and the vetmods for play against the AI.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Please read the readme file for installation!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maps

Because I have no map-making skills I decided (with permission of the map makers Moloch and Dom) to cut the already made maps for the CC5 Crete mod down in size to 43 maps for this mod.

thanks to

-FFL Cheesecake: Original mod idea and research.
-Yukongold: terrain, elements file, mapcoding, millions of other things and support.
-Pvt Michael: Pioneering stratmapdesign in CC4 and making the hlp files.
-Moloch: Stratmap image.
-FFL Jag: Mapcoding and French CC4 version patch.
-Pvt Grunt: Mapcoding
-Andima: Mapcoding
-Moloch and Dom for making the very beautiful maps and giving permission to use them.
-StasiuX: No CD patch (A huge thanks to him, it’s a lot less of a hassle if you can play CC4 without the CD).
-Final Drive: Unit names
-Sgt_Wilson, Cpl_Filth, Konrad, Zeppo, The Blood and Mafi: CC editing tools, without these very talented programmers CC modding would be impossible.
-Modding community: for letting me use data and graphics, see readme file for credits.
-CCseries for hosting it

I Hope you will like playing the mod.

I'll start another thread where everybody can report bugs or mistakes.

Greetz

Aetius

flick

Rep: 17.6

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Woop!

*breaks out dusty copy of BOB*

platoon_michael

Rep: 47.6
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Congratulations Aetius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 1st full blown mod for CCIV to be made public.

I got in several battles this weekend and not only does it look good but it plays GREAT too.
There will be many hours spent enjoying this one.
Thank-You very much for your time spent working on this.
It will be nice to play with the old girl again.
I loved VETBoB but to be honest I played that puppy to death.

Again Congratulations,

Your the man.

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I couldn't wait...and downloaded manually from the FTP (I hope you don't mind) and have been enjoying this mod for a few weeks now!
Great stuff! And you're spot on about choosing CCIV for Kreta...the fixed forcepools suits this mod...and the AI's putting up a good fight so far.
Congrats and thanks for your hard work, Aetius!!!
Looking forward to more CCIV mods from you Smile

flick

Rep: 17.6

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I went to the CCIV downloads, and could not find any maps.

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=283

Also, do I need a different CFGv13 like with CCV mods?

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the mod wasnt loaded yet at CCS as well.

You "WILL" need a new plugin manager.It's called CfgIV27

mooxe

Rep: 221.1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:12 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently uploading it. My upload speed is that of dialup so it will take some days.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 98.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:11 am Post subject: Reply with quote

mooxe wrote:
I am currently uploading it. My upload speed is that of dialup so it will take some days.

Welcome to the internet 3rd world - makes Rogers cable look good!

Well done Werner for finishing the mod, I will download a fresh copy when it's available. I still have an older version before the debug.

Again - Thank You - The Aetius name joins the modding ranks :drink2

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Aetius!

Downloaded it will get a few games this weekend....

Rek

Rep: 6.4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:14 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

great job!!!

i really enjoy this mod Wink

PD: someday could we saw this mod for CC5?? Rolling Eyes

yukongold

Rep: 7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:54 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Aetius on seeing your mod through to completion. I'm so glad to see that it is being well received - and rightfully so. Well done!

Cheers

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:32 am Post subject: Re: CCIV Kreta (Maleme-Chania sector) v1.0 mod Released Reply with quote

Hello Aetius,

Long time no see.
Are there any updates to the Kreta mod since it's original release?

Thanks

Bungarra

Rep: 137.3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:44 am Post subject: Re: CCIV Kreta (Maleme-Chania sector) v1.0 mod Released Reply with quote

Indeed the fighting on Crete was quite bitter

At Heraklion of the 2000 German paratroopers dropped over 1450 were killed

During the battle of Crete the New Zealanders made no less than 25 bayonet charges, the Australians almost as many.

In one instance the 2/7th Australian battalion launched a general charge, Maori soldiers joined in and ran at least 600 mtrs, a remarkably long distance for a bayonet charge. In the melee, the Germans lost 121 killed & as many wounded. The survivors retreated 3 klms. The carnage was so great that German Officers later accused the Australians of bayonetting the survivors to death. A special commision was later set up to investigate the alledged attrocities after which the Anzacs were cleared of the charges.

Of the 30,000 soldiers on Crete, only 11,000 were left stranded. The Navy though suffered badly though from constant air attack, 9 ships were sunk, 7 irrepairably damaged and 2000 sailors lost.

The effort to hold Crete cost Creforce about 15,800 men of whom 1742 were killed & 2200 wounded. The rest were taken prisoner.
The Germans captured 3,102 Australians, 2180 New Zealanders and 6576 British troops.

The German High Command was shocked by its casualties, all of who were highly trained men. About 6000 were killed or drowned and another 11,000 were wounded. The High Commands next intended target was Malta but it did not want a repeat of losses incurred in Crete. So Malta though heavily bombarded from the air remained a British possesion throughout the war.

The Australians withdrew to Egypt to regroup and fight the Vichy French in the successful Syrian campaign.

The Germans focused on their next campaign "Barbarossa"

You know if you don't live it.... You can't give it.

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:30 pm Post subject: Re: CCIV Kreta (Maleme-Chania sector) v1.0 mod Released Reply with quote

Interesting summary.  This is an awesome mod...Kudos to Aetius.  Yes Crete really changed strategy and basically ended all airborne operations for the Luftwaffe infanterie.  The most violent and disturbing photos I have ever seen was the aftermath of fighting in Crete.  Not surprised to hear about all the bayonet fighting after seeing the photos.

What will the Revolution Change? - Youth Brigade

Bungarra

Rep: 137.3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:52 pm Post subject: Re: CCIV Kreta (Maleme-Chania sector) v1.0 mod Released Reply with quote

Here is a link to the New Zealand History web site with a photo gallery of the battle of Crete

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/media_gallery/tid/56

You know if you don't live it.... You can't give it.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> CC4 Kreta, Maleme-Chania sector

Jump to: