Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
flick

Rep: 17.6

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:59 pm Post subject: Congrats on the AI Reply with quote

I've had more than half-a-dozen last stands, by my paratroopers against hopeless odd's. Most of the time they have beaten off the enemy by sustained MG34 fire, and some well placed grenades. Great fun!

Thanks for making the AI agressive, it's nothing compared to a human player, but we all know that.

Just one question, this mod reminds me of the battle of surabya for some reason, why?

Aetius

Rep: 89.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played the battle of Surabaya yet, i believe only a demo version was released.

I have seen a lot of screenshots of the mod, what CC4 Crete and Surabaya probably have incommon is mostly infantry fighting with very little armor or vehicles.

Aetius

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:05 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup...I agree with Aetius about the comparison...well put.
Also maybe because the Allied side is mostly made up of British and Commonwealth troops?
Anyway...having a real blast with the Kreta mod...I've been switching back and forth playing Kreta and SDKDK these past few weeks...yeah!
Again...you've created a truly fine mod indeed, Aetius! Bravo and thanks!

flick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:25 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the lack of armour means that you really have to be careful about positioning and fields of fire.

Aetius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind words guys, i'm really curious to play your Surabaya mod squadleader_id, screenshots look amazing.

I've made vetmods for the CC4 Kreta mod for harder gameplay against the AI, larger teams for the opponent, smaller teams for the human player and adjusted force pools.

The AI is largly influenced by the location of the VL's, in the future i will try to adjust these for each vetmod (based upon experience) and incorporate the VL's in the vetmod plugins.

Aetius

flick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found that, the AI attacked in numbers and speed, like in WAR and the surabya mod. Which is a good thing!

In most mods, I don't have 15 men attack my MG post in one group.

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Aetius, the VetMod is very tough...grrr!
But I do find that mortars and artillery AI are too punishing...I'm losing too many FJ troops! Sad

Aetius

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:23 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi squadleader_id,

I deliberately made mortars and arty tougher so you have to spread your forces more and not rush the map with all teams bunched together.

Aetius

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Aetius,

Agreed...but even with spread out teams...2-3 concentrated mortar fire will destroy most of them within minutes...just when these teams are just starting to get into positions to engage the enemy. So unless you can find and destroy/maim those pesky Allied medium and heavy mortar sections...they're going to haunt you and score those sure kills.

Artillery barrage should be punishing...since it can only be called once per battle...but tougher mortar teams with high rates of fire and plenty of mortar rounds?...ouch!

BTW, thanks for the compliments on the Battle of Surabaya screenshots...if you have some free time give the BoS45 demo a try.

nuggaprovst

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:08 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Aetius wrote:
Thanks for your kind words guys, i'm really curious to play your Surabaya mod squadleader_id, screenshots look amazing.

I've made vetmods for the CC4 Kreta mod for harder gameplay against the AI, larger teams for the opponent, smaller teams for the human player and adjusted force pools.

The AI is largly influenced by the location of the VL's, in the future i will try to adjust these for each vetmod (based upon experience) and incorporate the VL's in the vetmod plugins.

Aetius
Quote:
awesome

Jammer

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:10 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, in total agreement with the comments here.

I've been playing as the Allies over the last week and enjoying this mod immensely. When I noticed that work was being done on this mod, I was very excited as the Crete campaign had a massive effect on how it changed allied and axis tactics & developments during WW2.

Especially like the acquisition of Forward Observers which gives the Allies a very good advantage in the battles. Also, in my time of playing the Close Combat series I never really valued, until now, the benefit of a well placed Vickers team in the absence of machine gun clad armour. These teams are clearing up in the medals chart !!!

A very good job well done Aetius, great playable mod, thank you very, very much. Smile

flick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang long do the paratroopers have to hold on, until the ground troops land?

Aetius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:32 am Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Ground troops" where airlifted into maleme airfield on the 22nd, they will arrive gradually.

Most of the fighting in the timeframe of this mod will be done by paratroopers.

The idea behing the tough allied mortars and arty observers is to make is as tough as possible for the germans in the first few days, the allied reinforcements (including mortars and arty observers) will deminish and drop in quality over time.

Aetius

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:51 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Aetius wrote:
The "Ground troops" where airlifted into maleme airfield on the 22nd, they will arrive gradually.

Most of the fighting in the timeframe of this mod will be done by paratroopers.

The idea behing the tough allied mortars and arty observers is to make is as tough as possible for the germans in the first few days, the allied reinforcements (including mortars and arty observers) will deminish and drop in quality over time.

Aetius

Yep...after finally starting an Op over the weekend and struggling through the first 2 days...I agree with you design decision, Aetius.
Good stuff playing as Germans (with VetMod)...trying to be on the offensive but outnumbered...after barely taking some VLs (each of them usually involving a hard fight)...taking heavy casualties...then clench your teeth and hope the survivors can hold on and repel enemy counterattacks. Often when the assault breaks down or suffers too many casualties...I have to order my FJs to retreat to safety to avoid complete annihilation.
Ooh...and to see FJ flammenwerfer burning up those pesky NZ troops...satisfying to say the least Smile

Jammer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:14 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, playing as Germans on first few days of the battle I find that I have to keep moving from one VL to another then going back to capture it again to try to get the allies in the open for quick group kills.

...and I've never had to hold on to a VL with a one or two man squad armed only with Lugers either, man it's tough....but fulfilling Very Happy

P.S Squadleader, I've managed to setup & configure all the mods I wanted now, WaR, GJS & Kreta. One very happy customer, although the wife isn't happy with me !!!

flick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

This mod shows the greatness of the MG34, which tends to be overlooked when you have tanks and half-tracks storming about.

Many is the time, that a MG34 has made the difference between victory and sucess.

Jammer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Flick, what gives then as the MG34 was replaced by the MG42?

I've never really understood the idea apart from production benefits, was that enough? Strange given the Germans persistence during WW2 to experiment with multiple designs in weaponry rather than the allies strength in numbers theory.

Info appreciated, cheers.

flick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, it was cheaper and had less parts, that was enough to change it. But you allready knew that.

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:31 pm Post subject: Re: Congrats on the AI Reply with quote

Yeah I found the AI performed outsanding in this mod...especially if you play as Germans against allies AI.  The Germans have lack of ammo and weapons and have to face those light tanks with just a few grenades or what not.  I later found the New Zealander Maori (native) troops to be nearly indestructible and the engineer squads also to be extremely tough to defeat.

The AI vehicles had a few aggressive attacks that impressed me, but then after I knocked-out a couple they stopped advancing for the rest of the campaign.

What will the Revolution Change? - Youth Brigade

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:52 pm Post subject: Re: Congrats on the AI Reply with quote

mg34/42 - cheaper and faster to make and also used a lot less raw materials the Germany was short of.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> CC4 Kreta, Maleme-Chania sector

Jump to: