Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:36 am Post subject: 00:00 Crashing... some more insight Reply with quote

GameSpy, MSN, Zone or BHQ have nothing to do with your ingame connection once your connected to your opponent. The crashing does not involve those service providors.

Close Combat uses DirectX DirectPlay to establish a TCP/IP connection to another person over the net.

I have not tested this but heres the theory.

Back in the day when CC5 1st came out there was no talk about the 00:00 crashing. I think it all started when the new DirectX versions started appearing. So whats happening now is people playing CC5 are using different versions of DirectPlay. Here is my version.

DirectPlay8 TCP/IP Service Provider - Registry: OK, File: dpnet.dll (5.03.2600.2180) (this is from a directx9 install, this is the latest)

Another clue is this....

DirectX uses the cc5.icd file to get the info it needs.

Close Combat 5 (DX7) - Registry: OK, ExeFile: CC5.ICD (2000.08.0009.0001)

cc5.icd was made for Dx7. This could explain why nobody was complaining about crashing back then since Dx7 was the latest Dx. Everyone probably had it installed because it came on the CD and asks you to install it. Everyone had the same version youd think.

To find out what version of the files you have go to START, RUN and type DXDIAG. Once its done loading go into the network tab and you will find all the info there.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Pzt_Wruff

Rep: 17.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:11 am Post subject: DirectX 9.0 Reply with quote

Yes. I think you're on to something here.
As you and I were just discussing in Gamespy, it seems that older versions of DirectX are the culprit for persistent CC game crashes.
I'm running DirectX 9.0b. Mooxe is running 9.0c. These are newer versions of DirectX. I rarely have a problem with CC crashes these days. I remember a few years ago they were commonplace and there were constant complaints throughout the CC community about crashes. I don't hear about it much anymore.
Those that still have trouble with CC crashes should update their DirectX.
Version 9.0c (the latest version) is here. It's free.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx

Wruff

Troger

Rep: 17.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ha...

Just read this right after my 00:00 crash while playing GJS. I am running 9.0c, lambi is running 9.0b (unsure).... Hasn't happen in a while .....

Troger

Pzt_Wruff

Rep: 17.4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:02 am Post subject: Re: DirectX 9.0 Reply with quote

Pzt_Wruff wrote:

Those that still have trouble with CC crashes should update their DirectX.
Version 9.0c (the latest version) is here. It's free.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx

__Creeper__

Rep: 54.4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:39 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

MOOXE and the rest, I really wish you were on to something, but I dont think you are, Iv been takeing information from peaple for a long time, and nothing adds up, and Iv gotten peaple to go out of their way before to get the same directx as me, and it didnt solve a thing.

another reason it probably aint to do with directx versions, is that I know of 2 players who were completly immune to the crash, Anzac_Blackstump, have played many many games hosted by him, he has never once crashed, but when I hosted with him, we crashed a couple times, now he always hosts, heheh. he tells me that he never had the "end of battle" crashes with anyone else either, so this guy is immune.

the other is AT_JB_Mac this guy is a veteren player, probably longer than Iv played, on his older system he never crashed, he told me so, and also I played alot of games with him and he never crashed, but get this, he got a new computer a few weeks ago, and I seen him on gamespy complaining about crashing when the battles end 30-40% of the time, heheh, I told him welcome to my world.

point is, how could these 2 players play for so long against so many diffrent peaple and never crash, surely it cant be related to differing versions of directx, you cant have the same version as everyone Confused also, why does it crash when I host with blackstump, but never when he hosts against me or anybody.

if you can get JB_MAC to sit down with you for a while and really get into his 2 diffrent computer systems, you might be able to figure out what the problem is, cuz he has one computer that is immune, and one that isnt.

you know, proccess of elimination sort of thing.

Edit: im considering asking AT_JB_Mac to sell me his old system. could you imagine CCV without crash Very Happy

98 se
amd k62
500mhz
327mb ram

thats what hes on, but that doesnt give you much to work with, need more info on this immune system of his

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Hes using windows 98se.. what version of directx?

DirectX is what lets you play multiplayer so you cant dismiss this theory that easy. Different versions can cause conflicts. Normally if its the game engines fault it will display an error message.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

poli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone tried using compatbility? I have had a few o.oo crashes myself- and im running CCV on XP- perhaps running it as 98??

"What is your major malfunction ?????"

__Creeper__

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you can find out from jb mac or blackstump what version of directx they are usieng, i think blackstump is useing 8, I asked him before, and he said direct x 0X800 whatever that is, directx 8 I assume that means, but Iv had it, and crashed

CSO_Colonel_Olorin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:58 am Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm running direct x 9c and never had any crash that wasn't associated with having direct draw left turned on when i hosted.or map files being screwed up due to over modding hehe

__Creeper__

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:41 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I have directx 9c installed and I still get the crash, nothing has changed,

the guy above mentioned haveing direct draw left running, what is direct draw?

EricR4B

Rep: 17.5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:24 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my tuppence:

I've suffered the 00.00 crash (and the 'morale on' one too), but incidents seem to increase when my opponent changed PC and started using WinXP. I was always using XP without too much problem; but when he also got XP the lag and crashes really went up considerably. So much so that we effectively gave up our GC as the evenings became too painfull to endure.

I seem to be better off now with an ADSL connection, so I'm hoping to pick up the GC again soon.

So maybe the issues are with DX and/or WinXP?

Kutsteel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:52 pm Post subject: 00:00 Reply with quote

connectivity
firewalls
FILE SWAP
some people tell me the game does not save as host if I go back to network screen B4 them. yet I will have the file saved.
I use winXP home
2.8ghz intel P4
1000 meg cable modem
Norton AV
windows firewall
I get a rare crash (today I got one)
but I also had a period where I crashed constantly on one certain map of my GJS campaign. went thru 7 players until Mooxe(who has best latency to me) played and got me past it. that map never crashed again
most may be crashing due to file swap incomplete and one comp is moving onto next step

__Creeper__

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

well i dont know much about that, but Iv played alot with blackstump and there is about 400 ping between us, hes on dial up, and some days we cant even play each other for the lag.

still never a crash, ever.

hes on an old pc, just like JB mac was up untill recently (the guy who didnt crash untill he got a new pc)

Blackstump

Rep: 24.5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:51 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

im running directx 8.0 and windows system me. if that helps anybody.still no 00.00 crashes as ive told creeper the only one i ever had was when i changed my mouse driver after installing a wirless mouse. changed it straight bac as i didnt like !!

"percute et percute velociter"

Cpt_JB_Mac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote

well creeper i sell the old k62 if the offer is right, hehe!

on the k62 i was always upgrading dirX when a newer version came out. it never seemed to affect anything, one way or the other. but...reg would crash once in a while. get this tho, gjs would never crash. on my new amd64 3000 both crash about 40% of the time.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy

Jump to: