Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Author
schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:23 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Strategy3tactics are all community members.

the games are developed by S3T not Matrix
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

ANZAC_Tack

Rep: 22.3
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:11 am Post subject: why bother, Reply with quote

WaR is basically CCV made into CCIV, so why waste time remaking CCV, mods for WaR will soon make WaR CCV was,(but a lot better),most if not all the ccv bugs are gone,just change strat and bingo, CCV.

it would have to have some pretty dam good new features for me to buy it.

but i would then call it CCVI

espree de corp

Kojusoki

Rep: 22.7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:09 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I shouldnt tell it, but for me it would be ok if only they would make:
-a good multiplayer platform.
-REALLY stable multiplayer game

And maybe, as a "nice feature" for all those complaing:) that there are no improvemnts:
-3D FOR DEPLOyING only (im not sure, but I belive it is not such a big deal to create an easy 3d engine showing the map). Cerating a 3d game would kill the spirit, but making deploment in 3d would help a lot.

-you can skip AI for me as it will never be even a bit human

CSO_Sbufkle

Rep: 32.2
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:31 pm Post subject: Re: why bother, Reply with quote

ANZAC_Tack wrote:
WaR is basically CCV made into CCIV, so why waste time remaking CCV, mods for WaR will soon make WaR CCV was,(but a lot better),most if not all the ccv bugs are gone,just change strat and bingo, CCV.

it would have to have some pretty dam good new features for me to buy it.

but i would then call it CCVI

Makes more money this way.. thats why the time is beign put in without overhauling it to poorer fascal gain...

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:24 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Kujoski, there used to be 3D zoom out maps for CC5. I used them for years but lost them over time. Website I got them from is gone to. It was quite useful for determining LOS.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

schrecken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:36 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some CCIV 3d maps archived away somewhere too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

ZombieZamboni

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:49 pm Post subject: Re: why bother, Reply with quote

CSO_Sbufkle wrote:

Makes more money this way.. thats why the time is beign put in without overhauling it to poorer fascal gain...

beign fascal.....what? you can't spell the words being or fiscal? ....likely too much knowledge of business cramming your brain to allow room for the English language

so has Atomic called you yet to take over as CEO?

maybe they don't know who you....really....are

mooxe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:55 pm Post subject: Re: Close Combat 5 Re-Release Debate Reply with quote

Call me crazy if you want.... I decided to answer my own rhetorical questions nearly two years later...

mooxe wrote:
CSO Simtek & Matrix Games are currently planning to re-release Close Combat 5.

I have been thinking alot lately on this event. I would like to share my opinions on it with everyone who reads here, in the hopes of generating some debate.

Overall I do not see any advantage for the Close Combat Community in re-releasing this game. There are a number of reasons for this, I will list them off. I will speak as if the re-release is official. The word bug is used to describe an imperfection, defect or incompatibility.

- Matrix Games and CSO Simtek will be fixing a number of bugs. Fixing these bugs will make our current version incompatible with the new version since the EXE and DLL files will be changed. This forces us to upgrade if we want to play people on the new version. Basically re-releasing CC5 as a version incompatible with the original version means trying to create a new community of players from nothing. Can this be done with a seven year old game? CC5 5.01 has either been selling or pirated for the past seven years. There is a huge pool of players out there right now that can all play each other. Why are they starting from scratch by releasing a version thats not compatible with the 1000's out there?

I realize now that the new rerelease of CC will not create a new player base.

mooxe wrote:

- It has been stated by a few people that re-releasing gets the name Close Combat back out in there. But what exactly will that do? If you were one of those people, explain your theory. Close Combat is still Close Combat, 2D top down RTS, seven years old and only two player. People do not play a game simply because they are reminded its out there and see it at Matrix Games. They play because of what the game has to offer. Re-releasing CC5 doesnt offer what we all want these days. Even with the bugs fixed.

It will do what CoI, CCMT and WaR did.

mooxe wrote:

- One of the biggest problems is not being fixed. The firewall issue. When the re-release finally comes, just like in the CoI forums there will be a ton of firewall related posts and frustrated customers.

Still true.

mooxe wrote:

- The mods all have to be converted. This is being done with CC3 to CoI. I suppose it can be done for the new version. Its very time consuming. This also creates two versions of mods for each "side" of the CC5 community.

Its very likely that some mods are being converted. There will not be another side created.

mooxe wrote:

- Lets look at CoI. Granted its early, but there seems to be no action. Only techsupport posts, complaint posts and the occaisional AAR. BHQ usually empty also. CC2 regularly has more users in it. I will venture to predict CoI will do nothing long term for the CC community. The main bugs were not fixed (firewall), and theres no CoI website.

Still true.

mooxe wrote:

- Gamespy constantly gets new players right now. We have sustained about the same levels in Gamespy for years now. The only tapering of numbers we have seen started around the beginning of 2004. Since then there have been a steady amount of new players replacing the retired players.

I am logging in this week from Afghanistan after about six months of absense and still see a steady number. The rerelease if it was to be compatible would not make any real effect with the number of online players.

mooxe wrote:

- Matrix Games released CoI for $49.99 USD (boxed version). Assuming they market CC5 as a patched re-release and not a new game with its own new name, is this realistic to pay that much for a patched game?

We can assume it will be patched and have extras as did CoI. It is not worth the price when compared alongside of mainstream games, but this is now a niche market where price isnt much of an issue.

mooxe wrote:

Assume there was no re-release. Contemplate whether or not you will continue to play CC5 5.01 in its current state. Ask yourself these questions.

Will I stop or continue playing CC5 5.01 if......

...they dont fix the 00:00 crash?
...they dont fix the force selection screen peek?
...they dont fix the reinforcement bug?
...they dont fix the supply problems?
...they dont fix the hosts advantage?

From my experience with the community, the majority of people did not stop playing CC5 because of these bugs and the other small ones. They quit because its old, graphically outdated, only two player, too many firewall problems and some incompatibility problems. Also, many new games out there gave them the features they wanted. At the very least, why are none of the real problems being fixed?

Remains unanswered, upon release we shall see if people make a permanent switch. Firewall probs will not be fixed though.

mooxe wrote:

The last questions...

- Will re-releasing CC5 create and sustain a new player base online and offline that can be part of our community?

No

mooxe wrote:

- What exactly is the motivation to re-release CC5 and what thought has been put into its impact upon this section of the CC community?

A niche market has been found, and will be exploited.

Theres no debate anymore, its definetly coming. Its impact will be the same as all the previous impacts. However, its being marketed to a niche community and will sell which equals enough success for whoever is counting.

schrecken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:48 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The impact of any release (of any game) can't be forseen.

What can be forseen is improvements in what I consider the best game on the market.

If you like other games better... go and play them.. it's simple.

If you like CC and want to play the version with the most up to date features and bug fixes then your choice is clear.

If you like CC and want to be involved in it's evolving future , your choice is clear.

If you want to hang around moaning about a game that doesn't exist (the successor to CC), then keep doing that.

Is it worth all the effort of maintaining a website/Forum etc of a game you no longer like or play?

Astonvallio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:46 am Post subject: Re: Close Combat 5 Re-Release Debate Reply with quote

mooxe wrote:

Theres no debate anymore, its definetly coming . Its impact will be the same as all the previous impacts. However, its being marketed to a niche community and will sell which equals enough success for whoever is counting.

Is there any expiry date?

mooxe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:41 am Post subject: Reply with quote

schrecken wrote:
The impact of any release (of any game) can't be forseen.

What can be forseen is improvements in what I consider the best game on the market.

If you like other games better... go and play them.. it's simple.

If you like CC and want to play the version with the most up to date features and bug fixes then your choice is clear.

If you like CC and want to be involved in it's evolving future , your choice is clear.

If you want to hang around moaning about a game that doesn't exist (the successor to CC), then keep doing that.

Is it worth all the effort of maintaining a website/Forum etc of a game you no longer like or play?

I actually do still play and like it. Currently I am trying to bash through a WaR GC vs AI in record time.

lemon42

Rep: 4.8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:43 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like the game. It has still some unique things which can't be found in other games.

But a re-release of CC5 would be welcome if we would have some perspective of what is planned/scheduled. A fixed CC5 next and then a real new build one with an engine that real gives new options ? Clouds/rain ? Some terrain profile feature ? Ability to load troops into small carriers and unload them ? Para troopers which will land first to get some more atmosphere (must not be something fancy. Select where you want to deploy your units and when you hit begin they will be on paras and landing (5 - 20 seconds lost in the first move for a newly landed BG).
Planes can be shoot at and can be destroyed ?
Maybe the ability to build sandbag barriers when a BG is in one tile for 2 moves without opponent contact?
Much better online client ?

There's a lot which could be done and which would give real some new. While the current re-releases are fine and they support and try to get rid of the bugs, it would be also great to have real new features Smile

Jace10

Rep: 1.5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I have often wished for a more modular version of close combat. I think it would be great if you could add and swap battle groups as you wish, then people could make and play there favorites against the AI or other human players.

You would have to re-do the way the game reads files for unit graphics etc, but if you could put all the data and graphics necessary for one BG into a single directory it would work. Each weapon, soldier, Team, vehicle etc would be listed in data files + weapon graphics, unit badges, uniform colours, leader pic, BG and Req images etc etc.

Its a lot of reorganisation but it would mean you could fight any battle group on any map. The notion that WaR is a leap forward in modability is laughable, but this might be. You would also have to redo map selection and maybe make it easier to import maps, design own campaigns etc.

As it stands the current Mods being released as new products are just new front screens and a few new maps. I don't see Girlie soldiers and see-through buildings as an improvement in my gameplaying experience.. So back to CCV for me...

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat The Longest Day
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Jump to: