Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1219
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:48 pm Post subject: WaR Stratmap recreates the Fog of war. Reply with quote

Who has served in WWII?

How many got to use an interactive stratmap?

How many had to say damn, I can't drive 300 Panzers down this rutted forest road?

Didn't start this thread but it's taken on a life of it's own

Last edited by schrecken on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:29 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on the strat map.Even with the two print outs I have (yours and the one that came with the game) it's hard to figure out.
Even when just moving from one unit to the next unit looking on what to move where becomes confusing.
And if you decide to take a look at the actual playing map when you go back to the strat map it doesnt put you back at the last location you were.(looks to me like it defaults to what will be the next battle) instead.
I hope to try and do a new strat map someday.
What I really wish for would be to have the original .tga with no grey shading,this would allow me to do a different strat map and keep with the original theame.
I just still cant believe the dimenions of the Normandy.tga

mooxe

Rep: 221.7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:46 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

schrecken wrote:
Have you made an "Improved" GC with the depots as you suggest.

I'd be intersted in giving it a go.

Or are you just moanining again, snicker snicker...

How on earth did the 31 "missing" connections barely even get mentioned by the beta testers. If you are going to have two maps joined with a common border one could only assume they are connected, unless the map shows some sort of natural barrier like a mountain or river (as in GJS). The strategic map is probably the most overlooked area of that rerelease.

To play CC single player the GC is how you spend most time playing it. The GC is basically the adventure, the story line, the plot or whatever you call it. You have to pay attention to detail on it or people will never finish a GC. I bet that most people get frustrated with the WaR GC as I am and probably just give up knowing that they would of won anyways vs the AI. Anyways... we can continue and split the thread or just accept the mistakes made.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:45 am Post subject: Reply with quote

mooxe wrote:
Its a very frustrating GC because of how the stratmap is layed out. You have to advance South but leave units all over the North West US Depots. ...

Adolf H wrote:
Its a very frustrating GC because of how the continent ist layed out. You have to advance into Russia but leave units all over Europe in case the Allies invade. I blame matrix ...

hahahahahahahahahahaha there are times i really crack me up ahahahahahahahahahaha

schrecken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:43 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some one mentioned that it's called "covering your flanks"... maybe it's not part of modern Canadian Defence force doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

mooxe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:30 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now make a joke about how theres 31 missing connections please.

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:48 am Post subject: Reply with quote

missing implies they were supposed to be there, absent means those lazy bloody belgiums couldn't be bothered to make their country flat with a road grid

the links are absent because those who designed the strat map thought about it and sought acheive more than a hex based wargame. yahh for their success.

badda bing, badda bang, prize bicth tell me what I won. Next question please?

MossOrleni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:42 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, we no longer use the in-game stratmap except to execute the movement phase. Moves and fire support are done via an excel map I attached (I posted an earlier version over at Matrix).
As you can see, the purpose is not fancy graphics Rolling Eyes , but to quickly identify chokepoints and effective game distances between tactical maps. Yes, there's a grid Smile , but its purpose is to quickly show distances from the German initial deployment area. (You would need at least 6 turns to reach the farthest maps). I agree that it makes the whole strategic phase a bit 'scientific', but at least you can link your tactical battles to a larger plan. Together with knowledge of the exit locations and entry deployment zones, IMHO this is essential to play a decent GC.

On the 'number of depots' issue: funny, but after completing one GC and currently playing another, one of the major conclusions we reached is that there actually too few Allied depots. The main reason is that once a German Panther BG reaches an Allied depot, it's over and out on that map for the Allied player. 8 Panther BGs and 9 Allied depots means the German player can seal off nearly the whole stratmap, which is effectively game over in a GC (count in KG Hansen for the 9th BG).

Cheers,

Moss

Stratmap.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  392.89 KB
 Viewed:  7785 Time(s)

Stratmap.jpg

schrecken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:27 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok now make a joke about how theres 31 missing connections please.

Number one would be that between your foot and mouth.

mooxe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote

southern_land wrote:
missing implies they were supposed to be there, absent means those lazy bloody belgiums couldn't be bothered to make their country flat with a road grid

the links are absent because those who designed the strat map thought about it and sought acheive more than a hex based wargame. yahh for their success.

badda bing, badda bang, prize bicth tell me what I won. Next question please?

Ohh right, but the stratmap does look flat! Lets design the map with choke points then use a map that doesnt show them. Ok some examples of roads connecting maps that actually do not connect... Champlon-Nadrin, Wallerode-Recht, Meyerode-Malmedy, St-Hubert-Vaux Les Rosiers-Martelage, Hosingen-Dasburg and there are more.... In some places there is no connection between maps with a thick forest, but on others where maps show a thick forest there is a connection. Champs and Senonchamps share a huge wide open field, yet no connection.

Many of the other connections can be fixed by straightening out the borders so they dont show misleading connections. Maybe even show geography that would indicate no movement allowed... You know like has been done before... These are just tips for the new CC5 rerelease stratmap since WaR wont be changing.

So which excuse gets pulled out now? Historical connections, budget, if you dont like it play something else, mod it yourself, we didnt put much thought into it.. all of the above....

Lets just summarize. The stratmap is confusing and misleading. Having it zoomed in so close makes it even more confusing. Really now, how can you not accept this?

schrecken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I accept that you are confused

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

The one glaring thing that comes to mind when viewing the strat map is why doesnt it look more like the BoB like the original CCIV strat map but instead looks more like a sack?

It does however almost look like it does provide both the option of the small solution and then the Fuhers original plan to the German player.

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:51 am Post subject: Re: WaR Stratmap recreates the Fog of war. Reply with quote

After playing one GC as Allies and now playing one as the Germans
I dont really mind the connections anymore as it does create one heck of a mess for the Germans to break out in the North and around St Vith.
Moving around Bastogne does kinda suck a little though.

But it is confusing when looking at the mini-map
In some areas in the North and around the upper center the mini map makes it look like you have holes in your defense.

Due in part of the size of each town.

UO0068.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  150.6 KB
 Viewed:  7606 Time(s)

UO0068.jpg

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:03 am Post subject: Re: WaR Stratmap recreates the Fog of war. Reply with quote

bump

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Wacht am Rhein

Jump to: