Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:22 pm Post subject: The USS New York Reply with quote

The USS New York has recently been commissioned. It is made from about 7 tons fo steel from the World Trade Center.

http://www.ussnewyork.com/

My first thought on this was... when the world wants peace doesnt this tribute send the opposite message? It symbolizes vengence.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Panzermayer

Rep: 12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:06 pm Post subject: Re: The USS New York Reply with quote

Got to agree with you Mooxe

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:19 pm Post subject: Re: The USS New York Reply with quote

The way that's "promoted" is sort of sick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:25 pm Post subject: Re: The USS New York Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
It symbolizes vengence.

It symbolizes recycling.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:30 pm Post subject: Re: The USS New York Reply with quote

Anyway, it's kinda bizarre, but I guess multicultural nations need some kind of special bonding to not fall apart Very Happy .

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

GS_Schimpf

Rep: 3.3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:13 pm Post subject: Re: The USS New York Reply with quote

Totally wrong message imho.

Visit the famous German Soldiers

WW2 Gaming since 1999

Senior_Drill

Rep: 9.7
votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:48 pm Post subject: Re: The USS New York Reply with quote

I think that if you look deep enough into this, you will find a whole lot more US Congressional influence than US military posturing.  One man's symbology is another man's yawn.  Did you also catch from other sources that the majority of the crew are native New Yorkers?  By individual request.  So it means something to them and in a sense to the entire US, but you would be very hard pressed to find a concensus on that to be much more than, "Oh.  Really?  That's cool, I guess.  Did you watch the ball game?"

From the Wikipedia of the San Antionio (yet another "symbolic" US city) class LPD-21:

7.5 short tons (6.8 t) of the steel used in the ship's construction came from the rubble of the World Trade Center. The steel was melted down at Amite Foundry and Machine in Amite, Louisiana, to cast the ship's bow section. It was poured into the molds on 9 September 2003, with 7 short tons (6.4 t) cast to form the ship's "stem bar" — part of the ship's bow.   6.4 tons of a total displacement of 24,900 tons.  For a part that is below the water line.  And juts out in front of the prow.  

Yeah, that's kinda cool, I guess.  What does it symbolize?  A variety of emotions to a small fraction number of Americans.  A media hype event for this week's news to most.  The answer to a 2000-2010 Trivial Pursuit Edition question.  Yesterday's news next month.  And, quite frankly, as Therion pointed out, an example of recycling.  I have an cigarette ashtray made of Mt. Saint Helens' ash.  Does that symbolize the mountain, the lives lost, the forests flattended, the sections of land (a section is 640 acres) that had belonged to Burlington Northern Railroad or the Bureau of Land Management that landed 250 miles away?

It means whatever you want it to mean to you, man.  Just don't expect me to go along on your trip.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre.

SimonYNT

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:33 pm Post subject: Re: The USS New York Reply with quote

Senior Drill is right ; It means whatever you want it to mean.

Maybe there should be no buzz about it since the ships of that class are also given the names of other UScities.
however all the parade around that new ship and the symbolic steel part from the WTC debris in it can only give the feeling it is the answer from the US to the rest of the World after 9/11...
What kind of message does the US want to give by making a military ship out of the WTC ? Does it mean recycling or revenge ? Peace and forgivenness or War and hate ?
In my opinion, all this is a show off for a US revenge over its ennemies and a symbol for its own people... But this doesn't seem to pave the way for a brighter future....

And a little precision to finish, the USS New York is from the class San Antonio, a class of ships designed to conduct landing assaults on ennemy shores. It would have been better, to limitate the risk of negative impressions, if it were a medical ship, in my opinion. Still, it is better than a destroyer or a nuclear powered attack submarine Wink

Tippi-Simo

Rep: 53.1
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:16 am Post subject: Re: The USS New York Reply with quote

International bankers will benefit for this. Too bad I am not one of those.

"Du talar dalig svenska, men du är bra i sängen"

ronson

Rep: 36.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:28 pm Post subject: Re: The USS New York Reply with quote

I have  to agree with Drill on this one, its simply a bit of media hype, symbolic at best, it reminds me of the collection in 1940 saucepans and iron railings in London supposedly for turning into Spitfires!....most of this scrap ended up being dumped in 1946 into the North sea as the Govt. couldn't find anything to do with such low grade metals.

.....As for a weapon of vengance against those responsable for the WTC outrage, I can't think off the top of my head of a more useless piece of military hardware than an Assault Landing Ship when your enemy is supposedly hiding in mountain caves in a landlocked country like Afganistan Confused

Cheers
Ronson

GR member Ronson1  ac 4247033

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: