Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1220
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
abake

Rep: 1.3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:34 pm Post subject: CC5 stopped working on my computer, help please! Reply with quote

So I finally managed to play CC5 after years of not being able to, but after a while it simply stopped working.
I uninstalled it and it worked again for a while, but now I'm getting the same error message:

"unable to open file C:\Program Files\SSI\Close Combat Invasion Normandy\Maps\Index.mpi"

What the hell is that?
I'm running Vista Starter on an HP desktop (cheap machine I bought for my mom - I use Mac).
The first sign of trouble was when the sound died, I got a notice that said CC5 would work better with a sound card or something. I ejected the disk and restarted the computer, when I put it back in it worked for a while and then died completely. At first it didn't even recognize the disk so I could uninstall the game.
After I managed to uninstall it, it worked for a couple of days and now it won't work again...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. Is it possible to play A Bridge too Far on Vista? It looks all wonky on my screen and doesn't seem to run very smoothly. Thansk again!

Senior_Drill

Rep: 9.7
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:04 am Post subject: Re: CC5 stopped working on my computer, help please! Reply with quote

What this sounds like to me is that you do not have a full install of CC5 on the computer.  Without a full install, the game has to pull the map files into memory from the disk each time it loads.  The problem you describe is most likely due to a dirty or scratched CD or a CD-ROM lense that is in need of cleaning.

First clean the game disc and use a disc scratch removing device.  They are very inexpensive and available from most stores with an electronics section.  If the game CD is severly scratched, you may have to resort to hand buffing or using a small hand drill like a Dremel with a buffing wheel and a good plastic polish.

Next, get a CD / DVD lense cleaner, also very inexpensive and many types available from electronics stores.  Choose one that is capable of cleaning audio and video CD and DVD ROM's that will work on computers, players and soundboxes.  Run it two or three times if the ROM hasn't been cleaned in the last year.  Clean the lenses on all your devices at least once every six months thereafter.

Assuming that cleaning the disc and the ROM lense corrects the problem, make a back up copy of the game disc for safe keeping.  Then bite the hard drive space bullet and do a full install of the CC game.  That will help to ensure that the game is not having to load off the disc every time you go to play.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre.

abake

Rep: 1.3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:09 am Post subject: Re: CC5 stopped working on my computer, help please! Reply with quote

Alright, thanks a lot for the quick answer!
I'll try to uninstall and then do the full install as well as cleaning up the disk.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy

Jump to: