Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1221
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
PillX

Rep: 0.2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:27 am Post subject: XXX Corps' initial advance on Sept 17 1944 Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has information they can share regarding the Irish Guards' advance across the border into Holland as the vanguard for the XXX Corps? I'm looking specifically for map data and force strength of both the German and Allied forces involved in the initial contact as the Guards broke into the "crust." I'm doing research for a map of my own, but it's not directly CC related (though I've been a fan of CC since the original came out.)

Buck_Compton mentioned in an older post somewhere:

Quote:
1 Map (possibly) deleted

Neerpelt Bridge

This is because of the fact that this map allready was occupied at september 17th.....but i'm still in doubt about it

I noticed you also cut out the Valkenswaard area as well. It's my understanding that XXX Corps began the operation from the Joe's Bridge area, which was captured prior to OMG. Artillery was already in place on Sept 16 and may have already been firing across the border. It's for certain they laid down a heavy curtain of fire during the advance on the 17th.
The reason the C5:OMG team may wish to keep an N69/Valkenswaard map is because of accounts that describe the Irish Guard coming under fire after crossing the Belgian/Dutch border. The Germans had weathered the artillery barrage that moved ahead of the column and waited in ambush causing the Irish Guard to lose a few tanks on the narrow road in a matter of seconds. The resistance was stiff enough, XXX Corps had only made it to Valkenswaard by nightfall, coming up short of their original destination.

The conditions at the time included XXX Corps having a forward air controller element in a Daimler (I'm uncertain what specific model) which had access to rocket firing typhoons (one source claims there to have been 8 of these planes available for support at the time.) The German paras in the area apparently had their guns all knocked out, but other infantry elements still had quite a few of theirs operational, and there were panzerfaust/shreck available. The road itself was a one lane road, while the surrounding ground was reported to be soft or sandy enough to cause trouble for vehicles. When the tanks were knocked out by the Germans, the Guard had to call up a bulldozer to move the vehicles off the road. I'm uncertain if the bulldozer was simply a tank fitted with a blade, or if it was indeed a bulldozer (which might likely have been a D-7?)

I believe the battle began maybe south of the Klein-Borkel area and progressed into Klein-Borkel proper, but I'm not so sure. This is as close as I can get to it. I don't remember where I got the map section from but if I remember right, the map was dated 1944. It may have been from the University of Texas' archives. Either way, I couldn't find something a bit more complete.

Also, a link you guys might find interesting -it has some film footage too:

http://www.amazing-planet.net/operation-market-garden-chronology.php

edit: fixing a typo I just noticed.
edit2: noticed a couple of other typos and expanded a comment.

Last edited by PillX on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:22 am; edited 2 times in total

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 99.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:08 am Post subject: Re: XXX Corps' initial advance on Sept 17 1944 Reply with quote

Great site !  I like the maps and the films.   45 Tiger 2 tanks arrive to counter attack........ Yikes! I'd hate to defend against them with a stupid PIAT. "Cant get a shot off - trying trying"

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Mods by Buck and Pete -> CC5 Op Market Garden

Jump to: