Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1180
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Author
namztukxam

Rep: 3.3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:28 am Post subject: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

I just purchase CoI and played a few battles.  I know that's not giving it much of a chance but, after playing WaR and TLD, it just seems primitive and honestly a little lame......  In it's defense, I don't really have a good handle on the requisition and refit stuff and that may add a bit of fun to it.  Any suggestions, comments, or thoughts on this?

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:52 am Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

I like CoI for MMCC3. There has been problems with the servers lately tho, I will pick up again when they are stable.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:48 am Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

personally I think COI/CC3 has the best CG for H2H play...

and of course if you are carefull with your points there are lots of nice tanks to play with too Very Happy

namztukxam

Rep: 3.3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:07 am Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

I'm kinda newb.... CG?

Bazookajoe

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:03 am Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

I had enjoyed Der Ost Front, beautiful maps, and think I will start again with RD Death Dealers new vetmod.  With req points it seems value your men more.

RD_DeathDealer

Rep: 4.3
votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:44 am Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Yes

For those who don't know, Cross of Iron has a different approach to strategy. Rather than having a strat map with battlegroups moving around, it presents a 'story' for the player to follow through historical operations. You can span the course of years in the game, unlike TLD, CC5 and WaR. This makes for interesting selections (when your opponent suddenly realizes as the battle starts that you've gone from PzIIIs to Tigers  Shocked ). There are some interesting mods out there for it too.

And also if you didn't know...Southern_Land is a master at making Eastern Front maps.

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:01 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

namztukxam wrote (View Post):
I'm kinda newb.... CG?

opps  Grand campaign abbreviated, then spelt wrong.  You'd think I'd get two letters right wouldn't you?    GC

Sapa

Rep: 76.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:31 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

he is the master of ALL maps!! and i love him soooo Mr. Green

//Mats

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:32 am Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Cross of Iron is great for h2h play. I play on gameranger and it is great fun to play the grand campaign or custom ops or for a quick 1 day game.

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

vonB

Rep: 32.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:45 am Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Each CC has it's merits and defects, but they are all good, especially when you get onto the battlefield!  CC3/CoI is my all time favourite, and still is.  I like the way you can get very close to each soldier and unit as you follow them through the battles, operations and campaigns.  Check out their kills and medals, their bravery and cowardice, their wounds and their deaths.  This is something that is difficult to do in the same way with IV/War or V/TLD, as there are so many Units in total, and you lose track of them easily.

It is also the dogs bollocks for H2H play.  You can design a battle with fixed Teams on each side, but the preference is to allocate points and choose your own Teams.  it is ideal for one off H2H battles.  Strategically, IV or V are better for H2H if you want an ongoing Operation or Campaign, though you could use the MMCCIII Campaign system for 3/CoI for that as well, though it is somewhat different to the strategic layer in IV/V.

It has an impressive line up of Mods and Maps.  If has good morale modelling and accurate weaponry.  My main criticism is that Tanks are way too powerful against infantry, and some low performance cannons such as light/medium AT are too effective against medium and heavy tanks, but that's just my opinion.  Another criticism is the somewhat lame AI, though it has been improved in CoI.  You have to balance that against the fact I have been playing CC for over 10 years, and the AI springs few surprises anymore (though it can occasionally surprise me), and I get my added value by exploring new Maps.  Those who are new to the game can often find it quite a challange.  If you want the best AI gameplay, then CC2 I think is the best.  The AI tends to be worse on large maps with lots of VL's (Victory Locations), which is one reason I find V a bit tedious sometimes.  The best AI battles tend to be on Maps with only a few VL's.

The lack of a true Strategic Layer in 3/CoI is a shortcoming, but in balance, I can live with that, and I can still play any of the other CC games I want anyway!

Is it any good?  There are those that like it and those who don't.  There is only one way to find out...

Dundradal

Rep: 27.9
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:43 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

I like Cross of Iron a lot. I got into CC with CC3 and recently got back into CC because of CC3 and CoI.

To me the other CC's seem strange. I greatly enjoy fitting out my troops with a limited number of points that force me to think wisely about my decisions and the terrain I will face.

I recently discovered the mods to CC3 and CoI and have been enjoying them thoroughly. I've only played H2H once, but it was an awesome experience and winning certainly helped. Smile

"To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul.
Go."
- Final Terminal Message, Marathon Infinity

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:58 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

All the Close combats should have the single battle option like CC3/CoI, only giving points to each opponent and letting him choose from all the teams available for both sides, some times you just want to play a single battle not complete operations or campaigns.

-Jager-

Rep: 6.5

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:22 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Oh so in CoI you can replace soldiers and uppgrade you tank crew! Right?
Same as Close Combat Russian Front!

This is wy i realy love CC3 at the final Campaign you love the soldiers.

And hate about the others TLD and War
i try to get hight score whit my Tank in Tld. One track damage and the tank and crew is replaced Crying or Very sad

Good moaning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAajssMn95w&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4QDz3c3Auw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia178T1i8ss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwAioN2mtsA&feature=related

Dundradal

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:25 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Yeah after having now played a lot more of CC5/WAR/TLD, I still find myself drawn to the CC3/CoI model. Not having the strat map is a bit of a downer, but MMCC3 sort of makes up for it (when it is up!).

I'd love to see some more MMCC3 mods, it seems like a little smoother way of doing community grand campaigns.

"To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul.
Go."

Troll69

Rep: 46.8

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:39 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Well, I buyed this one today from Matrix online store, I expect that It will be good as CC3 at least!  Very Happy

Dundradal

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:14 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Troll69 wrote (View Post):
Well, I buyed this one today from Matrix online store, I expect that It will be good as CC3 at least!  Very Happy

It's basically an improved version of CC3.

Although the MMCC3 servers ares still down. I've started a thread over at the Matrix COI Forum asking people to file help desk reports. One would hope that with enough paying customers demanding a real fix they would get on it.

Go."

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:35 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Cross of Iron has alot of replay possibilities.

Create a 15 Day 5 Map Op with 50 points per day for your side and give the AI 300 points per day for some interesting battles.

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

MF_Church

Rep: 26

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:21 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Sounds V.G. !

Very Good !    US Brake!  

Tks for that sir!

vonB

Rep: 32.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:32 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Quote:
Cross of Iron has a lot of replay possibilities.

Oh yes!

Once upon a time, a very popular H2H environment were the '3 day Ops'.  Can't remember now who initiated them.  Could have been Drill, but they were a blast!.  Long enough to get your teeth into, and short enough to do in one sitting.  The advantage of the 3 Day Ops (which CC3/CoI is perfect for), it that it allowed a bit of to and fro.  You may be on the back foot to start with, but have the opportunity to make good, or vice versa!  You may think you are winning, then see all your hard work (or luck  Wink ) disintegrate before your eyes.  I can recommend them to anyone interested in H2H action.

I even put together a 'Saving Private Ryan' scenario (the one where they assault the German MG position), just for a bit of fun.  Can't see how that could have been done with any other version, though to be fair, I have't tried to.

As I said before, CC3/CoI is not everyone's cup of tea (though CC Battles are CC Battles whatever the version), and the linear Operation/Campaign method can be a bit unappealing, but it's still my favourite.  If the CCM system had a good Operation/Campaign System and a WWII production, with the ability of CC3 for custom Battles, then I could see it as taking my top spot...

CSO_Sbufkle

Rep: 32.2
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:26 pm Post subject: Re: Is Cross of Iron any good? Reply with quote

Beebs, that was Gunner who got us all into 3 day ops a good 7-10 years ago...

I agree, 3 day ops rock, best way to play outside H2H campaign.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Cross of Iron
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: