Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Author
davidssfx

Rep: 16.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:58 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

A few notes about the last three battles:

The German BG's at both Gold Beach and Arromanches were worn down from previous battles.
At Gold Beach there was still a ATG presence though ... and caution was used to locate and pick them off.
The German ATG's were very well placed, and disabled a DD Sherman early on. Fortunately, it was behind a hedge with LOS to some of German controlled area. Once one or two ATG's were destroyed or damaged, a Centaur IV moved from behind its hedge position and was able to advance up the main road and manhandle any resistance. The Centaur IV was a very effective tank for this type of attack ... the HE rounds are less suited for knocking out ATG's, but its turret and good armor are very advantageous.
It was a tense battle and  well defended ... with casualties to exposed infantry searching to gain LOS on the ATG positions, and MG fire from in and around bunkers.

The German BG at Arromanches had been reduced to all but a few units in the previous battle, and was a given that this area would fall to the Allied advance. Still required some heavy but short lived fighting.

The battle at St Germain De Varreville was pretty evenly matched ... with all infantry and an ATG gun each.
I had taken some bad losses on this map already, and needed to be less aggressive to control any further setbacks.
An unexpected, near last second, morale break for the Germans resulted in favorable gain for the Allies, but the battle was hard fought on both sides.
One of the best battles I've had so far in the Campaingn (imo).
This is a really interesting map ... and BG's in TLD make for great battles due to more realistic (less) quantity of tanks to infantry ratio.

namztukxam

Rep: 3.3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:43 am Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

davidssfx vs namztukxam

Hedgerow Hell!!!!  I moved too slowly and cautiously, allowing allies to gain important ground.  davidssfx attacked through hedgerows brilliantly.

Untitled.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.76 KB
 Viewed:  10462 Time(s)

Untitled.jpg

TLD Public GC 1 Save 41 (Axis).zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC 1 Save 41 (Axis).zip
 Filesize:  112.82 KB
 Downloaded:  385 Time(s)

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:34 am Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

Another tough infantry battle in the hedges of Normandy ... hooked up with namztukxam at St Come Du Mont.
A very tense, back and forth battle. Namz just about broke through my lines on several occasions ... I'm not sure he knows how close it was ... yikes.

Last edited by davidssfx on Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:43 am; edited 2 times in total

namztukxam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:41 am Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

namztukxam vs 7A_Priapus

Hard fought battle, Priapus had crummy attacking position.

Untitled.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.88 KB
 Viewed:  10453 Time(s)

Untitled.jpg

TLD Public GC 1 Save 42 (Ally).zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC 1 Save 42 (Ally).zip
 Filesize:  112.62 KB
 Downloaded:  386 Time(s)

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:01 am Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

Just had a marathon series of battles with RD_DD ... for me, at this time of day anyway Smile
Too much to talk about ... just tons of tanks and halftracks, etc ... lol
Seriously though ... some tough, hard fought battles. One was just a final clearing of the area, another a cat and mouse trench game ... the other two were rough going.
Thanks again RD_DD

TLD Public GC1 save 46.zip
 Description:
Allied save 46

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 46.zip
 Filesize:  117.71 KB
 Downloaded:  367 Time(s)

RD_DeathDealer

Rep: 4.3
votes: 3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:34 am Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

Versus Davidssfx at Easy Red

Allied second wave stopped cold on the hills by lethal PaK, machinegun, and rifle fire from German pillboxes.
Valiant attempt by the Allies to take the hill.

Versus Davidssfx at Fox Green

German mortar team tried to hold off the entire American assault on this beach.
Short fight ended with German prisoners...

Versus Davidssfx at Pointe Du Hoc

Battle featured a machinegun duel between pillboxes and both sides taking ground by sneaking around in trenches.

Versus Davidssfx at Merville Battery

Americans clear the southern buildings after a bloody firefight.
A rifle contest in the north eventually ended in morale failure for Germans.

Link to the Axis save file:

Axis save #46

Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:24 am Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

Lots of action back at Pegasus bridge ... RD_DD is moving some heavy stuff across the bridge from Troarn, and I'm not sure if the Airborne will be able to hold next time around.

TLD Public GC1 save 48.zip
 Description:
Allied save 48

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 48.zip
 Filesize:  117.58 KB
 Downloaded:  385 Time(s)

RD_DeathDealer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:24 am Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

Versus Davidssfx at Ouistreham

We wheeled our one remaining PaK gun into place on the north road VL and waited for Tommie to arrive.
As we drank our steins filled with beer and gulped down French wine, we watched Tommie running from building to building securing Ouistreham.
When the time came, we let loose as much hell as we could on the Brits - killing some- but ultimately a well placed shot from a Sherman Crab knocked out our gun.
The wounded survivors from our crew fled into the local fields and luckily Krauss brought the last wine bottle with him...
we heard 21st Panzer was headed our way...

Versus Davidssfx at Pegasus Bridge

Hitler ordered us to stay back and wait for the Brits in Caen- I decided to ignore his order and counterattack Pegasus Bridge.
As soon as the battle started bullets and mortar fire were everywhere. Screams of dying soldiers filled the air. Confusion set in.
We attacked forward into the hedges and met face to face with the paras of the 6th Airborne Division.
A war of attrition followed, but ultimately we were able to expand our bridgehead enough for operations to resume.

Here's the link to the save file:

Axis Save #48

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

namztukxam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:53 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

namztukxam vs lorman

finally making progress off of the beach.  Great defense by lorman.

Untitled.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.6 KB
 Viewed:  10373 Time(s)

Untitled.jpg

TLD Public GC 1 Save 49 (Ally).zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC 1 Save 49 (Ally).zip
 Filesize:  111.1 KB
 Downloaded:  390 Time(s)

davidssfx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:59 am Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

Hooked up with 7A_ Priapus for a couple.
Started at Gold Beach, which I thought would be easy to secure ... but moved with over confidence and without proper smoke cover. Resulted in a lost Sherman as well as infantry.
Battle ended with an Allied morale failure ... so some lost ground too.
Someone with a little smarts should be able to clear this beach next time ... keep an eye out for that ATG though.
Well done on defense.

Next it was off to Arromanches.
It was just a formality of clearing a unit or two before securing the map. Didn't get a screen shot of this one, but its self explanatory anyway.

TLD Public GC 1 save 49 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.06 KB
 Viewed:  10346 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 49 debrief.JPG

Last edited by davidssfx on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:31 am; edited 2 times in total

RD_DeathDealer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:02 am Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

Versus Davidssfx at St. Germain De Varreville

The Allies moved in the 8th Regiment/4th Infantry Division to clear the town and dispose of our veteran 919th Regiment/709th Infantry. The battle featured numerous skirmishes in the town and through the hedgerows in the south. Ultimately our forces lost morale due to efforts of a well managed DD Sherman.

Here's the link to the Axis save:

Axis Save #51

Last edited by RD_DeathDealer on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:35 pm; edited 3 times in total

davidssfx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:50 am Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

Strategic moves and support were decided, and the next series of battles began.

Another extremely tough battle at St. Germain De Varreville.
Decided to bring in some 4th ID guys with their extra fire power to clear this map, and give the U.S. Airborne BG a well deserved rest. This resulted in most of the map going neutral, one corner (south west) for Allied, and two northern corners for German forces. Thus, an effort to recapture ground.
The German units moved swiftly ... holding back advances into the center buildings with the help of a well placed ATG. Both sides scrambled to support a major skirmish for control of south eastern VL.
Tough on both sides, but strategically ... this German BG has been cut off, and now even more worn down.
Very well defended by RD_DD.

note: I goofed up the save count during the Strategic moves stage ... last save should be 51, next save 52.
I've corrected the Allied save here to 51, from the previously posted 52.

RD_DD's save (in the post before this one) should be save 51

also, Campaign Results Strategic Map updated to save 51

TLD Public GC1 save 51.zip
 Description:
Allied save 51

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 51.zip
 Filesize:  120.48 KB
 Downloaded:  339 Time(s)

davidssfx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:28 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

Some more rules.
Sorry, but since the success of a Campaign involves strategic moves and placement of support ... it seems necessary to devise a system suitable for a Public Campaign, that addresses Strategic move turns.

Therefore, I suggest this ... and will include it in the first post, where rules are listed.

The Team Roster is divided into two categories:

1) Regular players:
a) Must play only one side
b) May take Strategic move turns. If you are unsure of how to take a Strategic move turn (or don't want to) ... then just wait for another Regular player to do it.
c) Can not view opponent's Strategic map (via opponent's save files)
d) plays a least one battle per week

2) Casual Players:
a) may play both sides ... if no other choice is available, but make an effort to play just one side.
b) Should not take Strategic move turns. Please wait for a Regular player to take Strategic turns.
c) make an effort to not view Strategic overview of opposing side

I'll will adjust the Team Rosters ... everyone is considered a Casual player, until they request to be a Regular player.

Thanks
David

Last edited by davidssfx on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total

davidssfx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:53 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

Hooked up with hOsTyLe at St. Marcouf.
Germans had us pinned down pretty good in the corner ...  got hit hard with a StuG and MG fire.
Was able to seek around and capture some valuable staging ground for next turn though ... hehe.
great dEfEnSe

TLD Public GC 1 save 52 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.25 KB
 Viewed:  10465 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 52 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC1 save 52.zip
 Description:
Allied save 52

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 52.zip
 Filesize:  119.85 KB
 Downloaded:  346 Time(s)

namztukxam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:15 am Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

Regular Player me up please!

davidssfx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:02 am Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

Hooked up with RD_DD for a couple.
Very interesting and hard fought battles, with lots of maneuvering and skirmishes.

Thanks again for posting the screen shots

TLD Public GC1 save 54.zip
 Description:
Allied save 54

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 54.zip
 Filesize:  118.63 KB
 Downloaded:  313 Time(s)

Last edited by davidssfx on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total

RD_DeathDealer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:02 am Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

Versus Davidssfx at St. Come Du Mont

Regt. 6 Fallschirmjager set up strictly for defense in the buildings and hedges around the town and waited for the Americans to approach. Once they arrived, the hedgerows were blazing with small arms fire. After 15 minutes of fighting, our schweres MG42 fell silent from lack of ammo - while the American .30 cals kept firing! It became tough at this point, but our Fallschirmjager held their ground.

Versus Davidssfx at Pont L' Abby

Ostruppen set up defenses all through the hedges and waited to ambush the American Paras. A clever flank attack to the southwest caught our soldiers off guard and forced us to shift our troops to the west. We lost morale after a duel between our Marder and an 57mm AT gun resulted in a flaming tank. Tough setback for the Germans.

Here's the Axis save:

Axis Save #54

Hats off to Davidssfx for his skillful infantry maneuvers- tough indeed.

RD_DeathDealer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:08 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

Just throwing this out there...

I am against the 'point' constraints to the BGs. If you have it in your BG, you should be able to use it. When the crack German BGs eventually arrive, they will be weakened by the point system...and this will probably cause the Germans to lose this campaign (Steiner brought this up and I agree with him).

It's just an opinion.

Does anyone else agree with me on this?

Twisted Evil

davidssfx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:34 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

RD_DeathDealer wrote (View Post):

I am against the 'point' constraints to the BGs. If you have it in your BG, you should be able to use it. When the crack German BGs eventually arrive, they will be weakened by the point system...and this will probably cause the Germans to lose this campaign (Steiner brought this up and I agree with him).

It's just an opinion.

Twisted Evil

I understand where steiner is coming from ... but since I haven't played that far into the campaign before, I can't agree/disagree without more information about what points are given each side during those battles.

The obvious reasons for an Active roster points limit is ... to promote somewhat balanced game play, with historical based qualities.
The game designers have done an excellent job of arranging this in my opinion.
Let's look at the facts:

1) Points allocated by the game for each battle varies slightly ... to either favor one side or be equal, depending on the historical background of the certain area.

2) The depth of a BG's Force Pool varies also, depending on the historical background of the certain area.

After playing the GC thus far ... I am extremely pleased with the design of the game concerning:
1) Points allocated per battle
2) BG Force Pool depth
3) Unit types available in each BG.

Compare the German BG's of Utah beach and Omaha ... and see how the Utah beach German BG's are exhausted much sooner than those at Utah (historically correct).
Also notice the greater depth of the Allied BG's coming ashore at the beaches. The Allies will eventually wear down the German BG's due to their superior depth. For the player defending the beaches ... the goal is to keep them from capturing the beaches for as long as possible.
Take Juno and Easy Red for example ... they have required three or four battles to capture them. Sometimes defended by 2 or 3 ATG's in protected bunkers with multiple MG's and infantry units in bunkers and trenches ... mostly on high ground. This against Allied units coming ashore with no cover.
This to me seems historically correct ... but I wouldn't want to make it take many more battles than this to get off the beach. One beach in this campaign was totally captured by the defending German BG.
Let's look at St. Germaine De Varreville ... opposing BG's were very even in depth and so were the points allocated by the game. So far there have been five battles there, with the advantage going to the German BG (imo) since they have the high power MG units. The fifth battle I brought in the 4TH ID to get some more firepower (a tank), and still it will require another battle to secure this map.
If both original BG's fought on this one map (while kept in supply - and with the the point limit) ... I think the German BG would have a better chance of winning.

So, from reviewing some of these above mentioned battles ...  I think a "points limit" based on the game's allocated amounts, seems like a fair system.
I'm open to ideas, but I don't think unlimited points would be better.

Is it possible for the Germans to win the campaign with this system? ... I don't know. Maybe these high powered German BG's that become available will have more depth in their Force Pools, which will even things out more.
The biggest thing I see that will determine the outcome though, is ... how each battle is played, picking an advantageous entry point to attack a map, cutting enemy supply, and maintaining your own supply.

Just some thoughts

Last edited by davidssfx on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:28 am; edited 5 times in total

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:08 pm Post subject: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Reply with quote

RD_DeathDealer wrote (View Post):

It's just an opinion.

Twisted Evil

The points restriction is more of a layer of protection to a public GC. If you do not restrict random public players from choosing (and losing) all the high value units then this could ruin the game for others. Now this hasnt been proven, its just a theory.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat The Longest Day
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Jump to: