Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:36 pm Post subject: The Ortona mod revival forum Reply with quote

As some of you might know PT commenced work on the Ortona '43 mod years ago. He shared images of his beautifully drawn maps with us as far back as 2005 and has kept us wanting to play this mod since (search this site for Ortona threads). However there had not been any news about its progress for years. Several months before the Scheldt mod was finished Buck Compton contacted PT about the status of the mod. When it turned out that real life obligations would not allow PT to finish the mod we proposed to finish it for him and he agreed. Nearly all maps had been drawn (one map has been done by Buck) so that most of the work will be in coding, stratmap, the roof files and data. We expect to finish it this year.

Here is a brief introduction to the battle of Ortona:
From Wikipedia:
"The Battle of Ortona (December 20, 1943 to December 28, 1943) was a small, yet extremely fierce, battle fought between a battalion of German Fallschirmjäger (paratroops) from the German 1st Parachute Division under Generalleutnant Richard Heidrich, and assaulting Canadian forces from the 1st Canadian Infantry Division under Major General Chris Vokes. It was the culmination of the fighting on the Adriatic front in Italy during "Bloody December"."

"The Eighth Army's offensive on the Winter Line defences east of the Apennine mountains had commenced on November 23 with the crossing of the river Sangro. By the end of the month the main Gustav Line defences had been penetrated and the Allied troops were fighting their way forward to the next river, the Moro, four miles north of the mouth of which lay Ortona. For the Moro crossing in early December the exhausted British 78th Infantry Division on the Allied right flank on the Adriatic coast had been relieved by Canadian 1st Infantry Division. By mid December, after fierce fighting in the cold, wet and mud the Division's 1st Infantry Brigade had fought its way to within two miles of Ortona and was relieved by 2nd Infantry Brigade for the advance on the town."

This mod covers a lot more than just the battle of the town of Ortona. It begins with the start of the Canadian offensive and the crossing of Moro River and ends with the halt before the next German defense line, north of Ortona. The area of operations is small. The mod will have 44 maps nonetheless. However, the number of battle groups to choose from is limited for Close Combat standards. We can not fill the forcepool with battalion sized battle groups alone. Therefore some smaller , company sized battle groups have been formed that we intend to use for single battles.

Current status: we have a working version of the mod on our pc's. It needs a lot of work though but we are aiming for a release this summer (better cancel your seaside resort booking).

Regards,

Pete

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:12 am Post subject: Re: The Ortona mod revival forum Reply with quote

Awesome!  Looking forward to this one!
Good luck with the mod Pete and Buck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MonsK4TFqkU

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:03 am Post subject: Re: The Ortona mod revival forum Reply with quote

Sounds good!!!

kweniston

Rep: 57.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:26 pm Post subject: Re: The Ortona mod revival forum Reply with quote

Great to see the new mods coming. Thanks for all the hard work. Love the Scheldt, and this one sounds good too.

salhexe

Rep: 70.1
votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:55 am Post subject: Re: The Ortona mod revival forum Reply with quote

I am very happy for this new mod.
If you have problems with Italian ask me

Smile

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:40 pm Post subject: Re: The Ortona mod revival forum Reply with quote

Thanks for taking interest guys, after all, that is part of what we are doing this for.

@Salhexe:
There is one thing that you could help me out with: the name of the village of Villa Jubatti. That is what it is called in all allied sources but today I can only find this on the map: Villa Lubatti. I am assuming that the village has been renamed since and that in the war it was still called Villa Jubatti. Is that something you could find out?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

salhexe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:59 pm Post subject: Re: The Ortona mod revival forum Reply with quote

jjj

Last edited by salhexe on Mon May 03, 2010 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total

pagskier

Rep: 25

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:35 am Post subject: Re: The Ortona mod revival forum Reply with quote

Nice video!!
can't wait to play the mod!

salhexe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:23 am Post subject: Re: The Ortona mod revival forum Reply with quote

Pete wrote (View Post):

There is one thing that you could help me out with: the name of the village of Villa Jubatti. That is what it is called in all allied sources but today I can only find this on the map: Villa Lubatti. I am assuming that the village has been renamed since and that in the war it was still called Villa Jubatti. Is that something you could find out?
Pete

The village of Villa Iubatti belongs to the town of Ortona, Province of Chieti in the Abruzzo region.

The village of Villa Iubatti is 6.45 kilometers from the same town of Ortona where it belongs.

The village of Villa Iubatti rises 161 meters above sea level.

In the village of Villa Iubatti counts 216 inhabitants

You can also find Jubatti wrote.

Instead I saw on google maps is Lubatti and this is a mistake.

I hope it was useful

cheers  Smile

Appunti02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.77 KB
 Viewed:  11436 Time(s)

Appunti02.jpg

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:09 pm Post subject: Re: The Ortona mod revival forum Reply with quote

Hey Salhexe that is very useful information! Thank you for clearing that up.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Pete

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:51 pm Post subject: Re: The Ortona mod revival forum Reply with quote

@ Salhexe: The book that you purchased does it provide details on German dispositions? Mark Zuehlke's book on Ortona does not cover much of that aspect. Most of the times it is not clear which German units are opposing the Canadians.  

Thanks,

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

salhexe

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:00 am Post subject: Re: The Ortona mod revival forum Reply with quote

Hello

orsogna (7 dec) from west to east: under command 26°pz div: IV mont btg of 4° rgt para aggregate at II btg of 1° rgt;
146° rgt gran; 26° recon merged at 6° comp of 26° rgt panzer; 3° comp of 93°btg pioneer.

il burrone (11-18 dec) II and III btg para, the exausted 200° rgt pz gren, a btg of 361 pz gren, 90°btg pioneer, tanks detachments of 190° and 26° rgt,
German troops are not acting on a solid front and fighting in unison.

casa berardi (into) a squad pz gren 90° div, 1 pz IV; around 200° pz gren (reserves) 12 dec;

ortona 15 dec II btg of 3°rgt para Liebscher south city, 16 dec 1°btg in villa grande, 17 dec II btg of 3°rgt para under capt Gotthard Liebscher along the coastal road,
1° btg under maj Rohrbach around SW of ortona, III btg of 4° rgt under maj Franz Grassmehl is assigned to the dependency
of 26° pz div as reinforcement of 2° btg as mobile reserve.
20 dec German command fragmented units of paratroopers fighting in Ortona: portions 2° btg of 4° rgt para( 6° comp, 7 comp + 1 platoon,5 comp + 2 squad, 1 pioneer squad are moved in Ortona;
5°,7° and 8° comp remain in orsogna.
With the 2nd Battalion of the 4th regiment to defend the center of Ortona, forces of the 3rd Battalion are engaged on the eastern town near the coast: The 6th Company is deployed as a reserve in a factory warehouse. this section is also deployed the 11th Battalion 1st Regiment.

Last edited by salhexe on Wed May 05, 2010 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Pete

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:57 pm Post subject: Re: The Ortona mod revival forum Reply with quote

Excellent work mate!! That is so much more info than I could find in Mark Zuehlke's book. This answers a lot of my questions.
Much appreciated!

Do you know if the book is translated into other languages?

Cheers,

Pete

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

salhexe

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:00 pm Post subject: Re: The Ortona mod revival forum Reply with quote

I do not believe, here a link of the Embassy of Canada where they speak of the event with various links, you might ask them if they have something in English.
greetings  Smile

http://nlcanada.fly.webing.net/newsletter/multicanada_10708.asp

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Mods by Buck and Pete -> CC5 Ortona 1943

Jump to: