Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:56 am Post subject: Players Debate - To disband or not? Reply with quote

An easy debate. I hope the outcome will give the pros in cons for most situations when a disband is possible.

Should you forcibly disband your opponents BG or not?

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Last edited by mooxe on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

ActionJacksonDX

Rep: 15.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:45 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Reply with quote

there is only 1 con i can see: you get to kill more enemy units on your next turn. but this does not count since your enemy can manually disband his bg in this case. unless your enemy has a different evaluation of the situation. in this case one of you two is wrong. Wink

ok, 1 more con that is possible but should be rare: it is evening, your opponent needs a bg at his nearest supply depot by tomorrow, and has no bgs in his disbanded pool atm.

platoon_michael

Rep: 47.6

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:48 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Reply with quote

I do enjoy disbanding them on the AM turn to either rest my BG or move another one in on Turn 2 and still keep control of the map on Turn1 the next day.

pagskier

Rep: 25

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:00 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Reply with quote

I`ve never disband a Unit...
why would I do?

vonB

Rep: 32.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:33 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Reply with quote

As only a very occasional player of the CC games where disbanding is available, I am not sure that I have a great deal to contribute, but I do have a couple of comments:

The inability to 'retreat' is a major flaw IMO.  Disbanding is no substitute for a tactical withdrawl, and a very poor result for a Battlegroup being 'forced' to withdraw.  It smacks of a Strategic Game that has been inadequately thought out and implemented.  Retreating does present a more complicated handling for the developers.

I have some sympathy with pagskier's comment.  I have never (yet) felt the need to to disband any Battelgroup, though I have used them as 'cannon fodder' to delay the progress of enemy Battlegroups, and they can still deny supply lines to the enemy.  I guess they could clutter up and impeded manouvre of other Battlegroups, but as have as yet to experience the need.  In tLd, I have found even weak Battlegroups can hold the Allies on the Beaches until a stronger Battlegroup can be brought up to destroy them.

What is the main usefulness of disbanding Battlegroups?  I hope I am not arrogant enough to deny that it could be a useful function, so I am interested to hear what others have to say.

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:58 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Reply with quote

I understand the question being...........Should you forcibly disband your opponents BG or not?

Not should I disband MY BG.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:59 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Reply with quote

Retreat/withdraw is a new feature in WaR and available to modders in tLD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:21 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Reply with quote

The only option available for WAR is disband.
Not Retreat/Withdraw.

schrecken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:27 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Reply with quote

wrong
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:28 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Reply with quote

Then show me where it is?

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:29 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
The only option available for WAR is disband.
Not Retreat/Withdraw.

That option can be turned on/off in the campaign.txt file.

# BGs retreat on rout (0 = disband on rout, 1 = retreat on rout)

schrecken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:58 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Reply with quote

in WaR the default is on - so it is enabled.

schrecken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:40 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Reply with quote

read the text (The allies retreated in disarray)

If you want to advance to the rear in a controlled manner you do that in the movement phase.

A0491.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  184.49 KB
 Viewed:  7989 Time(s)

A0491.jpg

pagskier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:09 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Reply with quote

But I think retreat like in CC2

that would be awsome when you getting a beating, now you can`t do anything

schrecken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:10 am Post subject: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Reply with quote

you can fight like a man.

But, you are right.. you should have made the decision earlier but failed to, and you are now past the point of no return.... unless you have a friendly map to your rear that you can retreat to... .. like a get out of gaol free card...... if not you disband and reform at the rear.

In effect you are punished if you make poor operational level decisions, if you try to hang on for too long with inadequate forces then you suffer accordingly.

vonB

Rep: 32.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:33 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Reply with quote

Quote:
I understand the question being...........Should you forcibly disband your opponents BG or not?

Good point!  Not sure what to say until I have played more CCIV/V/WaR/tLD... but that may be some time off.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:53 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Reply with quote

For CC4/5 I would disband the enemy BG's to clear the map area and get rid of them for the day.

For WAR and TLD the decision is harder for armoured/motorized BG's as they can not move when they run out of fuel so it might be better to leave them on map where they can do no harm then have them gone for the day only to return next morning in supply....

Last edited by Tejszd on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total

pagskier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:30 pm Post subject: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Reply with quote

But reargard fighting??
you get contact, fire a bit, hold up and then move back
and at the end retreat

or if your armor get knock out and then you get a counter attack and you know you can't hold ground...

retreat would be real usefull

as for disbanding I still don`t get it
do you get more forces if you disband a weak battlegroup?
as I read you lose forces so you better let it there

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: