Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Spinlock

Rep: 14.8
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:14 pm Post subject: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Reply with quote

I've implemented a feature into CCSS that allows the chance of buildings to be partially or completely destroyed by heavy weapons.  Any soldiers inside at the time get an unpleasant and fatal surprise.
This could theoretically have a major impact on the way fights play out.  
What do you guys think?
Any feedback is appreciated.

7A_Woulf

Rep: 22.1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:54 pm Post subject: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Reply with quote

I'm a reality-freak, so I say: Go for it!
(And it's been in ASL, the beloved board-game, since the dark-age of physical games that the cat can slaughter...)

"When the tough gets going, I run to live to run another day..."

"Is this trip really necessary?"

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:28 am Post subject: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Reply with quote

I'm glad to see that you continue working on this. What are your intentions with this 'screensaver' ? Do you intend to develop it into a game, whether commercial or not?

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

Spinlock

Rep: 14.8

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:58 pm Post subject: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Reply with quote

Pete wrote (View Post):
I'm glad to see that you continue working on this. What are your intentions with this 'screensaver' ? Do you intend to develop it into a game, whether commercial or not?

I have some ambitious plans, But it a lot of it depends on the amount of interest outside my own.

The reason I ask about the destroyable buildings is that the value of placing units a multi-level buildings diminishes by a lot when a tank can sit back and [potentially] bring down the whole building with a few shots of HE from across the map.

Collapsible buildings add more realism i think, But In a playable scenario, the defender would not be too happy with the offender employing a scorched earth policy at the beginning of every match.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:21 pm Post subject: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see how the LSA exploding/destroyed bridges could be adapted to other terrain elements , such as buildings
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:33 pm Post subject: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Reply with quote

After X days of fighting on a map, maybe the map can turn to X% rubble.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:15 pm Post subject: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Reply with quote

Only if they are hit be something that explodes... otherwise it will be a bit silly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

buuface

Rep: 56.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:26 am Post subject: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Reply with quote

It would take quite a few shots to completely bring down a building, surely...

kasta

Rep: 4.9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:23 pm Post subject: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Reply with quote

Damaged terrain and buildings would be, of course great.
It would turn to rubble and still be good for cover.
Picture city maps full of building being leveled! Have wood structures catch on fire or parts of forests...
Problem is I think that this game could not handle the coding for all this tuning up programming.
I would like to also see more smoke effects, as when a tank or gun fires. More smoke from granades,fires ect..
This is not just visual ehcances ,you could use the chaos of smoke and fire to cover your moves.
Anything done to improve on 1of the BEST games EVER made would be amazing. {but damn difficult to do!}

Cause what you reap...is what you sow...MOW FOW...

vonB

Rep: 32.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:26 pm Post subject: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Reply with quote

Surely you must have seen war footage of buildings being hit by HE?  Whether the whole structure comes down will depend on a variety of things, such as size and strength of build, power of the explosive projectile, where it hits, and the number of hits, buts I recall seeing footage of a Russian 152mm(?) in Berlin taking down a whole end of terrace house with a single shot (apparantly), and the flying debris was awesome.

However, even with the intense aerial bomardments where thousands of tonnes of TNT were dropped on urban areas,  there was a huge variety of destruction, from total to partial.

I would say that modelling the effects of HE on buildings (and the consequences for anyone inhabiting them at the time, or even close) can only increase the 'reality' of the sim, and I would be for it.

I am also in favour of having multi level capability for buildings.  How it can be handled is an interesting challenge, but the current presentation in CC is limited and artificial.  I may want an infantry team to occupy the top floor, but in house to house, that would allow the enemy to access the ground floor.  What if I want to split a Team in a house between different floors?  Again, that brings up practical issues on how to conduct deployemtn and combat inside buildings, but it would still add an extra dimesnion to the game which I would like to see.

papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:46 am Post subject: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Reply with quote

Large assault guns  were often used in street warfare to systematically destroy buildings where infantry were holed up. At Arnhem the Germans did just that. In the BoB, possibly using lessons learnt, US airborne forces deliberately did not use buildings as defensive positions in some cases to avoid just that. Once the superstructure of the building comes down, what remains does also become great cover so its a strategy that requires the building to be captured immediately after you have brought it down. If you were simulating this I would suggest that buildings are segmented so that the destruction for a large building would be partial, ie within the segment, where as a small building may only have one segment.

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:28 pm Post subject: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Reply with quote

Quote:
Large assault guns  were often used in street warfare to systematically destroy buildings where infantry were holed up.

to destroy brick building you need really large assault gun Smile.

Quote:
At Arnhem the Germans did just that.

they just shot smoke shells inside Wink.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: