Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1222
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:59 pm Post subject: Firefight - Attacking the St. Andrews Wood Reply with quote

Here's an AAR from Firefight with my Dreadnought!64 mod.

I'm planning to convert most of graphics to Commodore64 palette in which I'm making vehicles. It's WIP, so most of stuff isn't converted. Any visual glitches are caused either by Wine or by converting the screenshots to indexed mode to decrease their filesize.
Also, I have resized soldiers to be in scale with map and vehicles.

Forces:
1 HQ

Platoon I (Marked on map as I)
2,3,4 - Rifle Squads
5 - Light Mortar
6 - Recon

Platoon II (Marked on map as II)
7,8,9 - Rifle Squads
10 - Light Mortar
11 - Recon

Support
Landships (Marked on map as T)
12, 13 - Gunboats (Gunboats are light landships designed to accompany infantry. They are slow and equipped with 37mm cannons)

Mortars
14 - Medium Mortar

15 - Recon

1. Deployment

2. Recon is sent 300m before the infantry.

After it arrives at the designated position, both infantry platoons follow. Gunboats overwatch.
Artillery strike is called upon the objective.

3. Platoon I spots a 25 pounder infantry gun. It gets destroyed by one of the Gunboats.

4. Rifle squad 3 and recon team 6 move forward. Team 6 is close to the other side of the field when it spots a 2 pounder AT gun, meanwhile, the rifle squad gets suppressed by enemy fire (marked on map as E) that erupts from the woods.
Recon team 11 from platoon II advances and gets suppressed by enemy fire.

AT gun gets destroyed by a Gunboat.

5. Squad 2 receives enemy artillery fire. Platoon I gets stuck as all squads get suppressed.

Platoon II encountered strong enemy forces and is unable to advance further. I leave it there, to keep the enemy forces there from interfering with my assault on the objective.
Mortars suppress an enemy squad (most of which is actually seen by my soldiers) positioned east of the objective.

Now that the enemy AT guns are destroyed, I bring forward the two Gunboats to provide fire support.
Also, I order squad 9 from platoon II to move forward, hoping that I would achieve fire superiority and would be able to finally assault with one of my squads.

6. Platoon I is still suppressed by the enemy fire. Squad 9 refuses to advance.
I call another arty strike on the objective, while the enemy calls one on squad 4 and Gunboats. After my artillery stops firing, I decide that I've had enough and order Gunboats to charge into the woods, hoping that there aren't any enemy AT guns left.

7. One gunboat captures the objective while the other one chases the enemy infantry around, gunning down fleeing enemy soldiers.

8. While the enemy soldiers are kept busy by my landships, squad 4 finally manages to advance into the forest.

9. Victory, at last!

It was a pretty enjoyable game. The enemy was tough - it's practically impossible to advance without a 2:1 local advantage and here, I think I had an enemy platoon against each of my platoons. The forest made targeting the enemy from outside by tanks rather difficult. If they would have mini-torpedo launchers (RPGs) in rifle squads, I would probably have to withdraw.

It's good that I've sent my infantry before the landships, which allowed to spot and destroy the guns, which could also make me lose this battle.

Comments, plz?

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

vonB

Rep: 32.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:52 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - Attacking the St. Andrews Wood Reply with quote

Brings back memories.  Firefight is a good little tactical wargame, and a credit to Sean O'Connor.  It's well worth playing.   Some good points illustrated.  Suppression is effective (cuts both ways).  Eliminate the main sources of threat, and obtain local fire superiority.  Don't do anything stupid with your teams.  Only one risk taken (assuming no more AT).

It is a game well worth progressing.  It's solid enough to form the basis of a Tactical Sim.

Therion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:47 pm Post subject: Re: Firefight - Attacking the St. Andrews Wood Reply with quote

vonB wrote (View Post):
little

I wouldn't call a game that covers China, Western Front, Eastern Front, North Africa, Indochina, Pacific theatres "little" Razz .

vonB

Rep: 32.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:27 am Post subject: Re: Firefight - Attacking the St. Andrews Wood Reply with quote

It's a subjective comment.  Unless it has been developed significantly since I last played it in 2007, I wouldn't call it 'heavyweight'.  It's still a good game of its type.  Actually, a very good game.

Therion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:51 am Post subject: Re: Firefight - Attacking the St. Andrews Wood Reply with quote

Changes since 2007:

Version 5.0, April 2010
- Whole new set of graphics
- Marshes added
- Hold down the Spacebar to highlight all of your troops
- American Marines added as a separate nationality
- New scenarios "Burma" and "Malaya" added
- Option to automatically center a unit when you click on it

Version 4.1, October 2008
- Fractally generated hills for more realistic landscape

I would say that the scope of the game is very big. Lots of campaigns, practically infinite number of maps, lots of nations, lots of units for these nations, 8 years of war, higher maximal number of units per side on map than in CC. To me, this game is heavyweight.

I would say that it's pretty simple, though. Some stuff is very simplified when compared to CC, like vehicle-terrain interaction, terrain passability, vehicle damage and infantry weapons data.
it would be nice if more people would lobby for improving these things.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess -> H2H Multiplayer

Jump to: