Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1222
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Author
davidssfx

Rep: 16.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:18 pm Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

Here are the four Road to St. Lo .BTD files.

Back up your original similar files and put these in your TLD "MAPS" folder.
Unzip it first and move these four individual files out of the unzipped folder into the "MAPS" folder.

Start the Road to St. Lo Campaign

Remember to NOT click the "Select Date" button until "7" is displayed ... after all the landings

Random Landings Road to St. Lo.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Random Landings Road to St. Lo.zip
 Filesize:  2.4 KB
 Downloaded:  299 Time(s)

graves101

Rep: 8.3
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:52 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

I just face-palmed when I read this on wiki.

"Another pathfinder team belonging to 9th Parachute Battalion, assigned to mark out the drop-zone area for the unit tasked with destroying the Merville artillery battery, was all but wiped out when an air-raid by RAF Avro Lancaster heavy bombers missed the artillery battery itself and bombed the area the team was in."

Also, considering Pegasus was really called the Caen Canal Bridge, and was only changed to Pegasus after the operation in relation to the Pegasus seen as the unit symbol of British Airborne, maybe that's the more appropriate name of the objective?

Last edited by graves101 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Priapus

Rep: 18.6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:00 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

heh. Perhaps you should simulate this event in our game. Historical realism is important.

graves101

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:09 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

Sure thing, I'll make sure to drop bombs wherever I see the guys running around in gray  Wink , oh wait...

A sad fact is my stepbrother had a friend and roommate in the CAF get killed by U.S. A10 Thunderbolts in that friendly fire incident during Operation Medusa. It really churns my insides when I think about how combat is already dangerous enough just fighting the adversaries. Not to mention that disaster in Sicily when Allied vessels starting shooting at the 82nd's transport planes just before their drop and shot down 23 of their own planes, all filled with paras.

But one thing about TLD that kinda miffs me, is why are the American paratroopers all green at "experienced" and "high morale", while the British (who I'd imagine received similar training) are only yellow with "seen action" and "good/high morale", seems kinda demeaning...

I know the American 1st Division has distinctly better troops than the 4th or 29th since it had seen serious action in Operations Torch and Husky. I see how divisions with previous experience in combat have superior troops. In that case, it is somewhat appropriate that 6th British Airborne division (since D-Day is its first engagement, as the 1st AB Division was the one at Sicily) be slightly lower. But, that being the case, it was also only the 82nd at Sicily, while the 101st would be fighting for the first time at Normandy. Why are the 82nd and 101st virtually the same in stats?

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:27 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

The american paras of both divisions have the same stats because they share the same teams, for them to be different there would need to be another set of teams with different experience. I think it would be pretty interesting to try that, don't know about the limits of the files and if the game will allow for an inclusion of some 10 new teams with out crashing, but it would be cool if it worked. Also agreed that the brits and americans should be on the same level of experience.

I think that there needs to be more variety anyway, the allied team roster seems so dry and with out flavor, there needs to be a couple of variations of the same kind of teams at least, to spice things up. I actually would like to see a limited set of teams for the paras on the first night turn, no more than 25 squads per BG composed of small teams, say no more than 5 soldiers, some with out weapons, others with captured weapons etc. then you can have standard teams in the Force pool on the morning or next day and for the rest of the campaign.

graves101

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:07 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

I really like that idea of having special para units on the 1st night round. But that would be a doosy to try and implement. How I figure it, they would have to represent the loss of weapons and men in the drop. So, I don't know if you can randomize the contents of a unit when it's first activated, but it would be really cool for these special units to come with a random factor of between 3 to 5 men and each man is randomized with what weapon he is using, either garand, carbine, thompson, colt, maybe some German weapons, or nothing at all. Then there's how many of these units would be required in a BG on that night round. Somewhere like 5-10 of these units would be enforced on the Allied player to use, kinda like how units are disorganized and remained fixed in the active roster. Then, they would need to be only available on this one round, and after that the BG somehow reverts back to using normal units. The only problem here, is you'll lose those units that gained experience in the first round of fighting. Is it somehow possible to retain the specific soldiers who fought, and reorganize them back into normal units? Kinda like when a veteran squad is decimated, and only a few veteran soldiers remain, then those vets are placed into other units on the active roster.

Plus, I saw that amongst the Allied BGs that form the beach landings, there were certain BGs (American 1st Big Red One Div) using superior units than other BGs with the same units in their rosters. Aren't those an example of same teams with different skill levels? I don't don't if Big Red One used a separate selection of units, but they had Rifle Teams, BAR Teams, just like 4th Div and 29 Div, only at a higher experience level.

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:33 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

graves101 wrote (View Post):
I really like that idea of having special para units on the 1st night round. But that would be a doosy to try and implement. How I figure it, they would have to represent the loss of weapons and men in the drop. So, I don't know if you can randomize the contents of a unit when it's first activated, but it would be really cool for these special units to come with a random factor of between 3 to 5 men and each man is randomized with what weapon he is using, either garand, carbine, thompson, colt, maybe some German weapons, or nothing at all. Then there's how many of these units would be required in a BG on that night round. Somewhere like 5-10 of these units would be enforced on the Allied player to use, kinda like how units are disorganized and remained fixed in the active roster. Then, they would need to be only available on this one round, and after that the BG somehow reverts back to using normal units. The only problem here, is you'll lose those units that gained experience in the first round of fighting. Is it somehow possible to retain the specific soldiers who fought, and reorganize them back into normal units? Kinda like when a veteran squad is decimated, and only a few veteran soldiers remain, then those vets are placed into other units on the active roster.

It is possible in theory to have this 'special' ad-hoc units at the start on the night turn its just a matter of making the teams that is if the game allows for it, individual soldiers cannot be randomized though nor the teams can be fixed unless you set all BG's to not choose units like in CC4, when the next day comes around, the availability of these ad-hoc units would be set at zero, I am not sure if these special teams can be replaced with others on the next day so as to not appear later, example: on the night turn of 6 of june you have a unit available called 'Ad-hoc Rifle' that appears on the top spot on the forcepool, on the next day I don't know if another team can take it's place or if it will always remain there until the end of the campaign. I think the Germans should get this too representing their confusion and what not and also to not make the attacking side too difficult on the para drops.

graves101 wrote (View Post):

Plus, I saw that amongst the Allied BGs that form the beach landings, there were certain BGs (American 1st Big Red One Div) using superior units than other BGs with the same units in their rosters. Aren't those an example of same teams with different skill levels? I don't don't if Big Red One used a separate selection of units, but they had Rifle Teams, BAR Teams, just like 4th Div and 29 Div, only at a higher experience level.

Yes there are two, actually 3 sets of teams for the americans, but one doesn't get used as far as I know. They are regular troops (1st), green troops(4th & 29th) both are differentiated only on their experience and morale as they have the exact same unit name and Cavalry troops (not used I think). Maybe cavalry troops can be modded to represent either the 82nd or the 101st with different experience level and another mix of teams. The Rangers could use some re-work too as their team consists of 2 main units plus the MG squad, pretty boring I think.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:33 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

Try this 101st with less experience data tweak

back up your fpools.txt and alsteams.txt files first

101st_Less Experience.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  101st_Less Experience.zip
 Filesize:  16.93 KB
 Downloaded:  345 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

schrecken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:33 pm Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

LOL

5 days and not one download.

you guys don't really want feature enhancements do you?

maybe you just want to moan and whine?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:00 pm Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

schrecken wrote (View Post):
LOL

5 days and not one download.

you guys don't really want feature enhancements do you?

maybe you just want to moan and whine?

I do. The method of delivering manual install mods burried in forum posts is not advisable.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

schrecken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:04 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

It was aimed directly at those requesting it.... not a general community mod.

it really is a demonstration of exactly what the above posters were asking for.

it is something to be tried discussed anfd then built on.

graves101

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:39 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

Sorry Schreck, it's just that we're holding off until GT 1.5 comes out to start playing CC again. I'm grateful for what you did, and I'll certainly be implementing it when we do start again. I'm sure it needs no testing, just, what levels did you set the 101st at? Is it on the same level as the 6th Brit AB Div? I think that would be perfect, if you did.

Are we whining? Probably. But we're just discussing and going down the list of things we are looking to change, making sure we can get it all perfect for our playing-style before we start another camp (we've restarted at least 4-5 times, I can't remember anymore). We might be a little anal, but I think what's being worked on will benefit whoever plays TLD in the future.

Thanks again for all the hard work, everyone.

schrecken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:23 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

NP..

I was looking for feedback as I was considering implementing bthe Ad-Hoc /scattered teams you mentioned.... but need to know if I'm on the right track.

schrecken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:06 am Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

Updated 101st and 82nd to have scattered teams on the first day - really needs a combination of scattered and formed teams, so will look at that after the 6th AB.

the cattered teams have lowered morale.

2nd day the 82nd will have stock tLD teams and the 101st the less experienced teams in the above attachment.

one problem with a mixture of formed and scattered teams is tha AI will pick the stronger formed teams first, which works against the idea of including the scattered teams.

graves101

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:38 pm Post subject: Re: TLD: changing a map to random drop zones Reply with quote

Cool Beans.

What do these scattered teams include? I would imagine 1/3 to 2/3 of the active roster should be scattered, 5 to 10 units.

As for the AI, I only know that when I play against it, I pretty much choose the units myself for them every battle. I typically give them the standard layout of what I'd expect myself to bring to battle.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Modding Workshop
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to: