Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Tippi-Simo

Rep: 53.1
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:35 pm Post subject: Race, how many there are.. Reply with quote

Hey all,

I just wanted to make a short poll here.
How many of you believe that we are different races (Caucasians,Asians,Blacks plus others).?
Or are we the same?

"Du talar dalig svenska, men du är bra i sängen"

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:51 pm Post subject: Re: Race, how many there are.. Reply with quote

There's two

Us and the Finns
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

vonB

Rep: 32.6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:12 pm Post subject: Re: Race, how many there are.. Reply with quote

Chortle...

Andreus

Rep: 16.8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:13 pm Post subject: Re: Race, how many there are.. Reply with quote

Black, white, yellow and... Green!

You know, I'm just a normal guy like everyone else. Why, my friends say, "Andreus you're just so cool because you're normal just like everyone else." Yep, normal that's me. - Fallout 2

davidssfx

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:55 pm Post subject: Re: Race, how many there are.. Reply with quote

FROM DARWIN TO HITLER:

EVOLUTIONARY ETHICS, EUGENICS, AND RACISM IN GERMANY

by

Richard Weikart

Priapus

Rep: 18.6
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:24 am Post subject: Re: Race, how many there are.. Reply with quote

We are all the same species. Science has proven this. fin.

Hoogley

Rep: 15.7
votes: 4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:40 am Post subject: Re: Race, how many there are.. Reply with quote

Terran, Protoss and Zerg.

"I have come here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all out of bubblegum." - They Live

graves101

Rep: 8.3
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:40 pm Post subject: Re: Race, how many there are.. Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_genetics

papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:31 pm Post subject: Re: Race, how many there are.. Reply with quote

*Yawns* @ Tippo-Simo you really are a pathetic

pvt_Grunt

Rep: 98.5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:11 pm Post subject: Re: Race, how many there are.. Reply with quote

CC has nationalities, not races.

7A_Woulf

Rep: 22.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:02 pm Post subject: Re: Race, how many there are.. Reply with quote

Laughing   Laughing   Laughing

My only reply to this:

Look at the banner...  Rolling Eyes

"When the tough gets going, I run to live to run another day..."

"Is this trip really necessary?"

Hoogley

Rep: 15.7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:35 pm Post subject: Re: Race, how many there are.. Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, this question got me wondering: what does the delineation of "race" actually mean, anyway?

So, I referenced Wikipedia:

Race (biological) wrote:
In biology, races are distinct genetically divergent populations within the same species with relatively small morphological and genetic differences. The populations can be described as ecological races if they arise from adaptation to different local habitats or geographic races when they are geographically isolated. If sufficiently different, two or more races can be identified as subspecies, which is an official biological taxonomy unit subordinate to species. If not, they are denoted as races, which means that a a formal rank should not be given to the group, or taxonomists are unsure whether or not a formal rank should be given. According to Ernst W. Mayr, "a subspecies is a geographic race that is sufficiently different taxonomically to be worthy of a separate name"

Race (classification of humans) wrote:
Race refers to the classification of humans into populations or groups based on various factors such as culture, language, social practice or heritable characteristics.[1]
Conceptions and groupings of races vary over time and reflect societal customs [2][3][4] in defining essential types of individuals based on perceived sets of traits.
As a biological term, race describes genetically divergent populations of humans that can be marked by common phenotypic and genotypic traits.[5] This sense of race is often used in forensic anthropology analyzing skeletal remains, biomedical research, and race-based medicine.[6]
Race, however, has no official biological taxonomic significance — all humans belong to the same hominid subspecies, Homo sapiens sapiens.[7][8] Nor is there scientific basis for any racial or ethnic hierarchy.[9][10]
The study of shared traits among peoples is also conducted along ethnic lines, involving the endogamic history of groups.

So, the total value of meaning given to biological race is "relatively small morphological and genetic differences/divergence within a species"

Whereas, the total value of meaning for race (classification of humans) starts with the biological value and has the addition of "the classification of humans into populations or groups based on various factors such as culture, language, social practice or heritable characteristics" which is allocated a conditional/variable of "varies over time and reflects societal customs", with the subtractive, "Race has no official biological taxonomic significance — all humans belong to the same hominid subspecies, Homo sapiens sapiens. Nor is there scientific basis for any racial or ethnic hierarchy."

It seems to me then that the term "race" when relating to humans starts to become a bit abstruse and hence actually looses value of meaning by it's impurity of definition.  

Likewise, from a purely biological definition it's used to delineate fairly minor variances and hence holds a reasonably insignificant position in the  taxonomical pyramid.

So, to answer the question as best I can:

[Do] you believe that we are different races (Caucasians,Asians,Blacks plus others).?  Depends what your definition of "race" is.

are we the same? Depends what your definition of "same" is.

Well, I hope that clears everything up.

"I have come here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all out of bubblegum." - They Live

vonB

Rep: 32.6

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:44 pm Post subject: Re: Race, how many there are.. Reply with quote

Quote:

Yup, sure does...  Cool though it depends what your definition is of 'hope', 'clears', and 'everything'...

Sometimes, I think I am from a different planet... or is that just my wife telling me in my less lucid moments...  Wink

Andreus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:32 pm Post subject: Re: Race, how many there are.. Reply with quote

7A_Woulf wrote (View Post):
Laughing   Laughing   Laughing

My only reply to this:

Look at the banner...  Rolling Eyes

Got that same banner Woulf  Laughing ! I thought those adds were set by google for the user, not the website...

You know, I'm just a normal guy like everyone else. Why, my friends say, "Andreus you're just so cool because you're normal just like everyone else." Yep, normal that's me. - Fallout 2

kawasaky

Rep: 22.2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:19 pm Post subject: Re: Race, how many there are.. Reply with quote

vonB wrote (View Post):
my wife

eh now! those WIVES creatures are some other race Razz

7A_Woulf

Rep: 22.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:48 pm Post subject: Re: Race, how many there are.. Reply with quote

Andreus wrote (View Post):

Got that same banner Woulf  Laughing ! I thought those adds were set by google for the user, not the website...

OMG! If that's the case with Google, I wonder what the kids are doing by the computer when I don't look!?

"Interracial dating"
"Find your Russian beauty"
"Find your Vietnamese beauty"

-Hell, I don't use dating sites to get turned down, when I can go to the pub and get drunk while doing it!  Wink

"When the tough gets going, I run to live to run another day..."

"Is this trip really necessary?"

Therion

Rep: 27.4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:01 am Post subject: Re: Race, how many there are.. Reply with quote

Hoogley wrote (View Post):
Interestingly enough, this question got me wondering: what does the delineation of "race" actually mean, anyway?

So, I referenced Wikipedia:

Race (biological) wrote:
In biology, races are distinct genetically divergent populations within the same species with relatively small morphological and genetic differences. The populations can be described as ecological races if they arise from adaptation to different local habitats or geographic races when they are geographically isolated. If sufficiently different, two or more races can be identified as subspecies, which is an official biological taxonomy unit subordinate to species. If not, they are denoted as races, which means that a a formal rank should not be given to the group, or taxonomists are unsure whether or not a formal rank should be given. According to Ernst W. Mayr, "a subspecies is a geographic race that is sufficiently different taxonomically to be worthy of a separate name"

Race (classification of humans) wrote:
Race refers to the classification of humans into populations or groups based on various factors such as culture, language, social practice or heritable characteristics.[1]
Conceptions and groupings of races vary over time and reflect societal customs [2][3][4] in defining essential types of individuals based on perceived sets of traits.
As a biological term, race describes genetically divergent populations of humans that can be marked by common phenotypic and genotypic traits.[5] This sense of race is often used in forensic anthropology analyzing skeletal remains, biomedical research, and race-based medicine.[6]
Race, however, has no official biological taxonomic significance — all humans belong to the same hominid subspecies, Homo sapiens sapiens.[7][8] Nor is there scientific basis for any racial or ethnic hierarchy.[9][10]
The study of shared traits among peoples is also conducted along ethnic lines, involving the endogamic history of groups.

So, the total value of meaning given to biological race is "relatively small morphological and genetic differences/divergence within a species"

Whereas, the total value of meaning for race (classification of humans) starts with the biological value and has the addition of "the classification of humans into populations or groups based on various factors such as culture, language, social practice or heritable characteristics" which is allocated a conditional/variable of "varies over time and reflects societal customs", with the subtractive, "Race has no official biological taxonomic significance — all humans belong to the same hominid subspecies, Homo sapiens sapiens. Nor is there scientific basis for any racial or ethnic hierarchy."

It seems to me then that the term "race" when relating to humans starts to become a bit abstruse and hence actually looses value of meaning by it's impurity of definition.  

Likewise, from a purely biological definition it's used to delineate fairly minor variances and hence holds a reasonably insignificant position in the  taxonomical pyramid.

So, to answer the question as best I can:

[Do] you believe that we are different races (Caucasians,Asians,Blacks plus others).?  Depends what your definition of "race" is.

are we the same? Depends what your definition of "same" is.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

mr-jaakoxe

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:40 pm Post subject: Re: Race, how many there are.. Reply with quote

schrecken wrote (View Post):
There's two

Us and the Finns

wy others and finns? Shocked

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: