Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Filion

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:27 am Post subject: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

Well it may sound stupid, but here it is (keep in mind that's just my opinion)

I feel like infantry combat in CC games since CC3 (except COI of course) is a bit...hmm shall we say...boring (?)
I find small arms to be way too much inacurate (mainly rifles) causing infantry clashes to be pointless ammo wasting (just like trench warfare, but without the trenches)
On many instances I've seen squads firing at each other for something like two minutes withouth a casualty, at grenade throwing range (all grenades were of course depleted), and  on flat terrain (such as a grass field or a road)
I mean...they're soldiers right? They should know how to shoot

Could someone enlighten me on this issue?

I apologize for my bad english, I'm french Smile

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:40 am Post subject: Re: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

nope..

Just lost almost half my infantry inside 5mins to small arms fire... playing tLD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:47 am Post subject: Re: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

Are you sure you're playing the same game? Smile

Filion

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:49 am Post subject: Re: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

well I've played WaR Razz

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:51 am Post subject: Re: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

Is it just WAR then you are describing?

Was wondering if you felt the same way about TLD or LSA?

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:54 am Post subject: Re: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

Filion wrote (View Post):
well I've played WaR Razz

Well if you're playing unpatched WAR...on some maps there are ghostly invisible buildings on those grass fields and roads...that might explain what you're experiencing  Wink

davidssfx

Rep: 16.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:26 am Post subject: Re: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

Check out the Ground Tactics 1.71 mod for TLD.
Dima did some really nice work on the data ... which, from what you've described in your post, would probably be to your liking.

schrecken

Rep: 195

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:27 pm Post subject: Re: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

Quote:
Well if you're playing unpatched WAR...on some maps there are ghostly invisible buildings on those grass fields and roads...that might explain what you're experiencing

really... where abouts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

vonB

Rep: 32.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:53 pm Post subject: Re: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

Fix bayonets, and get up close and personal  Wink

On the whole, I am reasonably content with the infantry .v. infantry simulation.  In general, I think the killing capabilities in CC are a bit too strong, especially for tanks which are *way* too strong IMO.

Have started on LSA.  I am finding that it seems more difficult to mow down infantry with infantry, but I think it is the better for it.  Although it is definately a game that needs to be played as Allies, I am starting to play as Germans to see what it's like (as it's my preference).  I gave the Allies Always Obey Orders and I must say, they go for their objectives quite ruthlessly!  15 minute timer.  Not uncommon for a squad or 2 to make a bee line for a VL/Bridge, and it's not always easy to stop them getting there!  A lot more wounded and incapcitated rather than killed.  Again, I find this better.  We will see what it's like when there's more Armour around.

Only on the second round, but am finding I am able to sustain a defense, though not always a walk in the park.  Down to a single (command) soldier on one of the Maps, and I expect to get kicked off this round.  I am tyring to avoid blowing the bridges if at all possible, i.e. only if the position is untenable.  In reality, the Germans would only blow a bridge if they thought they were going to lose control of it.

But if you get your deployment well positioned, you can still inflict serious casualties, but if you do not, then the attackers can make good headway.  The larger Maps (than CC2) make it harder to deal with tactically.  Spreading Units out thinly is a bad idea on the whole, so have to focus on what's important, and put up with being unable to command the whole Map with so few Units.

So, I think having reduced lethality makes a more compelling engagement.  You have to use better tactics to sustain a position and keep your force intact, which is not easy against an enemy with superior numbers and a determination to gain their objectives.  The only easy engagement so far has been one of the SS Groups, which took the Allied force to the cleaners!, but on the whole, few of the Maps have been an easy defend.  

I hope that the armour isn't too powerful when it comes to killing infantry (as is the case in most CC's).  We shall see.

squadleader_id

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:53 pm Post subject: Re: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

schrecken wrote (View Post):
Quote:
Well if you're playing unpatched WAR...on some maps there are ghostly invisible buildings on those grass fields and roads...that might explain what you're experiencing

really... where abouts?

Wow! You really don't know about them?
Stalky posted some of them...a few weeks after WAR came out Smile

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:33 pm Post subject: Re: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

vonB wrote (View Post):
Fix bayonets, and get up close and personal  Wink

On the whole, I am reasonably content with the infantry .v. infantry simulation.  In general, I think the killing capabilities in CC are a bit too strong, especially for tanks which are *way* too strong IMO.

I think it's because most of the fire against infantry in CC is close range direct fire where the firer sees the target.

On the other hand, for example in Firefight almost all fire is against general area where the target is and killing infantry with anything but artillery and close assault is very difficult.

Anyway, IIRC fire in CC is too lethal in general. From what I've read, in reality 40% of head wounds, 45% of torso wounds and 80%  of limb wounds are just light wounds (CC Injured). On average, 60% of wounds are Injuries. In CC most seems to be death or incapacitation.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:13 pm Post subject: Re: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

I like infantry to be difficult to kill, it forces you to maneuver and assault. What I find boring and unrealistic is having a machine gun kill all of your squad inside a building while in prone position.

Tejszd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:16 pm Post subject: Re: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

Interesting feedback Therion.

I was asking about the game as sometimes in LSA, more often playing as the Germans, I found I was thinking the same thing as Filion;

"way too inacurate (mainly rifles) causing infantry clashes to be pointless ammo wasting"

Having said that though there are other times when the game seems really lethal.

One possible reason is that in LSA the quality and morale of the firing team has more impact on accuracy....

MarchingBand

Rep: 0.7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:57 pm Post subject: Re: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

try storming a ss platoon leader squad with 3 airborne squads in LSA, and you'll see 3 dead airborne squads Sad

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:29 pm Post subject: Re: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

Keep your teams under the influence of NCO's

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Cathartes

Rep: 101.3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:21 pm Post subject: Re: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

"So, I think having reduced lethality makes a more compelling engagement.  You have to use better tactics to sustain a position and keep your force intact, which is not easy against an enemy with superior numbers and a determination to gain their objectives."

Agree with the above.

Tejszd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:37 pm Post subject: Re: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

Maybe the game is fine if both sides are thinking the other has the advantage....

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:32 am Post subject: Re: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
I like infantry to be difficult to kill, it forces you to maneuver and assault. What I find boring and unrealistic is having a machine gun kill all of your squad inside a building while in prone position.

I suspect that it's a part of balancing of 1:1 fights in CC series. Game with lesser casualties of troops in cover would probably require the attacker to have a numerical superiority to be able to win, which would lead to battles like 5 defending teams vs 10-15 attacking teams.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:51 pm Post subject: Re: infantry combat since CC3, what happened? Reply with quote

Therion wrote (View Post):

I suspect that it's a part of balancing of 1:1 fights in CC series. Game with lesser casualties of troops in cover would probably require the attacker to have a numerical superiority to be able to win, which would lead to battles like 5 defending teams vs 10-15 attacking teams.

I think it worked just fine in CC2, tanks became a lot more efficient with CC3 and infantry was hopeless, Real Red brought some balance back but I think it was never the same.

On the matter of number of playable teams, we are long due for an upgrade, at least to 20 but 30 would be great now that the newest engine can manage merging of BG's. Maps have been getting bigger and team variety has expanded but we are stuck playing with 15 units that can barely cover a small part of modern maps.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: