Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
LiveFree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:41 am Post subject: VIDEO AAR - LiveFree vs. Pzt_Rasalom Reply with quote

I'm posting a very interesting battle I had against Rasalom in the hopes of getting some tips/advice/criticisms regarding my play. We played Utah and I was U.S.

My goal was to avoid any immediate frontal assault on the village(I had gotten completely destroyed earlier when I attempted to capture a few of the closest buildings and a tank just mowed down my men) So instead, I tried to concentrate on the southern portion and achieved some failrly good success.

But I had HUGE problems with his tanks. At 2:17 you can see his tank guarding the northern VL. I had an AT team in the bushes almost directly in front, but what to do?? Furthermore, he comes in with his tank in the Tank trap VL and proceeds to devastate my men. He even destroyed my nearby tank, because once again I made maneuvered it incorrectly.

This first part is below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4pa4gHSb3U

In the second half you see me continue my southern attack. He must've concentrated on defending the north because I found it largely unprotected. But I was happy because I thought I coordinated my units much more effectively and even took out a half track. But in the center, his men supported by his tank kept pushing forward.

The second part is below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxSA8MqHO9w

So my questions. How should I have handled both his tanks?? How should I have used my tanks(they pretty much did nothing throughout)???
Any other mistakes you guys see that I should fix??

thanks for the help guys and thank you Rasalom for all your help before the game Smile

Pzt_Mac

Rep: 3.4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:38 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not easy attacking into a map full of StuGs with light tanks. One thing I might have tried is, after you eliminated most of the German team at the Tank Trap and you saw the StuG coming, I would have rushed the position with infantry and tried to get in close so I could use grenades. It might not have destroyed the StuG, but it might have immob'd it, allowing the Stuart to hit it from the side or rear. You can also run a team up in the Northern hedge across the field, drawing fire from the StuG and remainding infantry team in hopes of buying your assaulting force some time getting across the open field from one hedge to the other.

Btw, nice video program. I've been looking for something like this for a while now Smile

LiveFree

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Pzt_Mac wrote:
It's not easy attacking into a map full of StuGs with light tanks. One thing I might have tried is, after you eliminated most of the German team at the Tank Trap and you saw the StuG coming, I would have rushed the position with infantry and tried to get in close so I could use grenades. It might not have destroyed the StuG, but it might have immob'd it, allowing the Stuart to hit it from the side or rear. You can also run a team up in the Northern hedge across the field, drawing fire from the StuG and remainding infantry team in hopes of buying your assaulting force some time getting across the open field from one hedge to the other.

Btw, nice video program. I've been looking for something like this for a while now Smile

You know, I thought about that, but I was still so traumatized from the previous battle where his tank ANNIHILATED my men that I guess I took an overly conservative approach. What would you have done with my tanks? The one in the north just sat in the field doing nothing...heheh

thanks for the tips

Pzt_Mac

Rep: 3.4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

LiveFree wrote:

You know, I thought about that, but I was still so traumatized from the previous battle where his tank ANNIHILATED my men that I guess I took an overly conservative approach. What would you have done with my tanks? The one in the north just sat in the field doing nothing...heheh

thanks for the tips

I suppose it depends on what your objectives were for this battle. If it's an Op or GC, figure that you're eyeing one side of the map over the other because it has the best cover to launch an offensive the next round, or it has a VL which will give you supply/allow for an exit/keep the enemy from escaping/ etc. Your tank in the North was on guard duty which is a good thing. However, if you had brought another one, or were comfortable bringing that one down to help with the assault on the StuG, then you could have double teamed that German tank.

Something to consider when risking that much material is how many tanks are worth killing that StuG. If you lost two Stuarts but destroyed the StuG, I would say it was worth it. You have plenty more pieces with 37mm canon on them in that BG and the StuGs are the only armor worth anything to the Germans (and there aren't very many of them). Forcing the player to baby his tanks will better suit you in the long run.

All in all, I think you did fine. I would only say that you could afford to be a bit more aggressive :Cool

Pzt_Pandemic

Rep: 10.3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:32 pm Post subject: Re: VIDEO AAR - LiveFree vs. Pzt_Rasalom Reply with quote

I know I'm not very good at the game myself but I've played a few so I'll throw my 2 cents in.

LiveFree wrote:
My goal was to avoid any immediate frontal assault on the village(I had gotten completely destroyed earlier when I attempted to capture a few of the closest buildings and a tank just mowed down my men) So instead, I tried to concentrate on the southern portion and achieved some failrly good success.

If your goal was to avoid the town to the north and expand south, I would have concentrated more forces in the south. It looks like you had 3 tanks and 2 were guarding the northern VL while the 3rd "kind of" supported the southern advance.

LiveFree wrote:
But I had HUGE problems with his tanks. At 2:17 you can see his tank guarding the northern VL. I had an AT team in the bushes almost directly in front, but what to do?? Furthermore, he comes in with his tank in the Tank trap VL and proceeds to devastate my men. He even destroyed my nearby tank, because once again I made maneuvered it incorrectly.

Again, if your goal was to avoid the town, do nothing. Let him take the chance of attacking you so hopefully his Stug moves right within range of that bazooka team set to ambush. Very Happy

On a seperate note, very interesting of Rasalom to move that tank into a big area named "tank trap" the good thing about a stug in close quarters is it has no turret. It has to move its entire chassis to fire. Like Mac, I would have moved a couple infantry teams just behind the hedgerows on either side and attack from both front and back. Worst case scenario, when he turns to fire at your sherman, you smoke, then rush with an infantry team from behind. Again, even if you only immobilize it, an immobilized stug is almost useless in general and almost completely useless in close quarters like that.

LiveFree wrote:
In the second half you see me continue my southern attack. He must've concentrated on defending the north because I found it largely unprotected. But I was happy because I thought I coordinated my units much more effectively and even took out a half track. But in the center, his men supported by his tank kept pushing forward.

Good job on the advance in the south. The only thing I saw was that when he moved that halftrack down I would have interpreted it that most of his forces were positioned in the north/central and he was bolstering inadequate or destroyed defenses and would've probably pressed the attack a little harder. If you pressed hard enough, he probably would have had to divert some forces from his attack to address your advance.

LiveFree wrote:
So my questions. How should I have handled both his tanks?? How should I have used my tanks(they pretty much did nothing throughout)???
Any other mistakes you guys see that I should fix??

In a close quarter situation like that I prefer infantry to take care of tanks. I like to destroy his infantry support then swarm the tank with infantry. Remember, always try and flank enemy armor, and improve on unit coordination. You'll learn a lot of tactics by playing different people. Not 1 tactic works universally. I've seen people attack/defend with armor in so many different ways, you really just have to learn to adapt.

Pzt_Rasalom

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:17 am Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think you did really well. You'll learn a lot and be able to apply it effectively. Like pandemic said, there is not 1 rule for taking out or using tanks. Each battle requires a great deal of thought. And i agree with Mac on the video. Maybe a good way to review and study aar's. Look forward to continuing this op. Remember be aggressive. I don't have as many BG's as you do. Or the armour! Til next time....

Any fool with a fast pair of hands can take a tiger by the balls. But it takes a hero to keep squeezing....

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:18 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Utah Stugs are tough and valuable. Germans are outnumbered in armour by a large margin to. The key I believe for the Germans to win is ambushing, usually never attacking. For Americans, destroy the armour first, just go hunting. Each German tank loss is an American victory. Heres some advice to win the war of armour attrition..

- Save your support for tanks,
- If fighting a German BG thats cut off, immobilizing tanks is as far as you need to go. Cut off BG almost always lose immobilized tanks, they are as good as KIA when immobile,
- Never go one on one with a stug, unless you are attacking it from behind.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

RD_Roach

Rep: 1.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:51 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Use your smoke! before you run openly across fields,smoke the area with your motar teams, when he went for your Stuart with the Stug,again use motar team and place smoke between the 2 tanks,most often it will block LOS and give youa chance to retreat or move forward and try to get side shot before the Stug can spin itself to face you, when your troops come under fire and you wanna retreat,use thier smoke first then move out you will lose less men.

Love the video! Smile

CC Greatest Game Ever!
www.reddevilscc.com

LiveFree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:02 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

RD_Roach wrote:
Use your smoke! before you run openly across fields,smoke the area with your motar teams, when he went for your Stuart with the Stug,again use motar team and place smoke between the 2 tanks,most often it will block LOS and give youa chance to retreat or move forward and try to get side shot before the Stug can spin itself to face you, when your troops come under fire and you wanna retreat,use thier smoke first then move out you will lose less men.

Love the video! Smile

Yeah, I definitely shouldve used smoke around his stug. But, actually, sometimes I'm hesitant to use it because it will just give away the direction of my attack and my men's movements. Like in the south, had I used it, it would have given him way too much information and it worked because I was able to advance and overwhelm his defenses there.

thanks guys for all your help...im learning a lot!

tedy28

Rep: 59.9

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:17 am Post subject: Re: VIDEO AAR - LiveFree vs. Pzt_Rasalom Reply with quote

my last battle lsa:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKWeaqFliRw

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess -> H2H Multiplayer

Jump to: