Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1214
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 Author
Cathartes

Rep: 101.3
votes: 15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:32 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Time has shown that there were a handful of minor errors in v4.4-- mismatched name entries, a forcepool error misplacing a unit or two in the wrong BG, vehicle smoke launchers not working, etc. Not show-stoppers, but worth fixing.  Also, a few historical inaccuracies that have since come to light.  

Also, don't assume that GJS works seemlessly and identical in tLD. TLD is not the same CC animal as CCV (for the better I might add).  If you want the same old mod on newer model engine, you have to take on some new changes or live with GJS on CCV.

Also: changing all the BG unit icons--no more hard-to-see photographs.  Going with the new style.  Those that don't like change can switch/mod back to the old GJS --I spent way too many hours making the original ones but I personally prefer the quick info and clarity of new system.

Also: instituting "effective" range for 3 inch mortars and 8cm grwrfer.  Players will only be able to use them on maps where they have room to use them.

davidssfx

Rep: 16.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:12 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Cathartes wrote (View Post):
Time has shown that there were a handful of minor errors in v4.4-- mismatched name entries, a forcepool error misplacing a unit or two in the wrong BG, vehicle smoke launchers not working, etc. Not show-stoppers, but worth fixing.  Also, a few historical inaccuracies that have since come to light.  

Also, don't assume that GJS works seemlessly and identical in tLD. TLD is not the same CC animal as CCV (for the better I might add).  If you want the same old mod on newer model engine, you have to take on some new changes or live with GJS on CCV.

Also: changing all the BG unit icons--no more hard-to-see photographs.  Going with the new style.  Those that don't like change can switch/mod back to the old GJS --I spent way too many hours making the original ones but I personally prefer the quick info and clarity of new system.

Also: instituting "effective" range for 3 inch mortars and 8cm grwrfer.  Players will only be able to use them on maps where they have room to use them.

Thanks for the update ... looking forward to the TLD version Smile

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:59 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Very good!

Regarding Unit icons in battle, I much preferred the 4.3 ones, reminiscent from CC5. I think they are clearer than an even smaller photograph than the BG selection pics, it gives you a better understanding of the unit you're selecting with out looking for the name.

But for personal taste I like better the CC2-CC3 unit icons.

Cathartes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:23 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Here's a peak at an airstrike--new aircraft, new shadows, sound of Napier Sabre engine:

Link

Dundradal

Rep: 27.9
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:01 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Looks great!

"To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul.
Go."
- Final Terminal Message, Marathon Infinity

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:02 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Thank you for the update Cathartes!

lamurt

Rep: 10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:27 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

what's with the size of typhoon, it looks more like a transatlantic than a fighter plane.... Twisted Evil

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:15 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

The lower the resolution the larger vehicles look (including planes). For the video the game was probably being played at a low resolution....

Firefrost

Rep: 13.3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:04 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, definitely looking forward to this release  Very Happy

Andreus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:38 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Amazing!
Is it possible though to start the sound of the engine sooner? That way the opponent can start to frighten...

You know, I'm just a normal guy like everyone else. Why, my friends say, "Andreus you're just so cool because you're normal just like everyone else." Yep, normal that's me. - Fallout 2

karlmortar

Rep: 16.7
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:01 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

I like what Im seeing, keep up the good work! Very Happy

Btw, how come that the plane flies over the soldier detail box, something to do with Fraps recording?

"CC for ever"

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:34 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

I dont have TLD and it has been years since I tried GJS.

But last year I "converted" a few GJS maps to CCMT for fun. In doing so, I remembered that most of the map structures did not have doors and windows coded appropriately.

Has that been changed with TLD and/or GJS/TLD mod?

schrecken

Rep: 195

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:11 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

you can run through walls in tLD... not so with CCMT.

desirable but not a necessary requirement for a mod conversion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Cathartes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:10 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Quote:
what's with the size of typhoon, it looks more like a transatlantic than a fighter plane....

It's big on purpose.  I want airstrikes to have a more realistic, visual impact.  I can't have all the sound I want, so this is part of my personal fix. The aircraft is closer to the player and not flying at the exact altitude of the ground combat.  The aircraft shadow is approximately the scale to the soldiers as you would expect.

Quote:
Is it possible though to start the sound of the engine sooner? That way the opponent can start to frighten...

I wish. It would be more realistic than yellow smoke.  Unfortunately would take some code rewrite.  You can delay it, but not start it sooner.

Quote:
Btw, how come that the plane flies over the soldier detail box, something to do with Fraps recording?

Noticed that too.  No idea.

Quote:
But last year I "converted" a few GJS maps to CCMT for fun. In doing so, I remembered that most of the map structures did not have doors and windows coded appropriately.
Has that been changed with TLD and/or GJS/TLD mod?

Memory is hazy, but some of that was done on purpose b/c it was so easy to spot and kill infantry in bldgs. with CCV, or that's what we believed --or-- put it down to inconsistent, free-for-the-user map coding.  Doubt this will be fixed for the "beta" release.

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:16 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

multi storey walls in tLD have a movement reduction for infantry that makes the sodliers go out and run by the street and get massacred instead of following a path of a row of buildings. I much preferred 'normal' CC buildings, yeah the soldiers go through walls, but the AI currently isn't that advanced that they can learn to use doors, so if you code walls impassable or have them reduce movement, it becomes a huge mess in urban maps.

I used CC2Redux elements instead, much more enjoyable for myself.

Also, can't wait for GJS on tLD!

Still want winter flag to work properly on vehicles so I can have unreliable panthers that brake down starting the battle and more uniforms.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:11 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
multi storey walls in tLD have a movement reduction for infantry that makes the sodliers go out and run by the street and get massacred instead of following a path of a row of buildings. I much preferred 'normal' CC buildings, yeah the soldiers go through walls, but the AI currently isn't that advanced that they can learn to use doors, so if you code walls impassable or have them reduce movement, it becomes a huge mess in urban maps.

I used CC2Redux elements instead, much more enjoyable for myself.

Also, can't wait for GJS on tLD!

Still want winter flag to work properly on vehicles so I can have unreliable panthers that brake down starting the battle and more uniforms.

Just took a look at TLD elements

Soldier Move: Low, Med, High

Wood Floor: 25, 15, 10
Dirt:            25, 15, 10
Grass Field    25, 15, 10

Doors: 25, 15, 10

Wood, Brick, Stone Walls ... all levels: 40, 35, 30

All windows:
level 1: 160, 120, 80
level 2: 320, 240, 160
level 3: 640, 480, 320

It doesn't seem right that windows would be harder to pass through than walls ... so I changed the window coding to make windows easier to pass through than walls, but increasingly more difficult as levels progress up ... the limit being the wall value
It seems to have corrected the problems you mentioned Pzt_Kanov ... thanks for pointing this out.
Also, soldiers now move through doors and windows ... most of the time.

All windows edited:
level 1: 30, 25, 20
level 2: 35, 30, 25
level 3: 40, 35, 30
level 4: 40, 35, 30

I'll attach the elements file

note for Cathartes: please review this file for these changes, as well as others that were done for GT
Other Elements changes:

1-Fixed Sandbags and Sandbag Barrier: now crush to Debris( 221)
2-Leaves 92,93,94,95:
Hindrance: L,M,N ... was "0", now is "200"
Protection: G,H,I,J ... now is "0"
3-Large Hedgerow: vehicles can not enter this terrain
4-Small Hedgerow: changed to "block Line of Sight"

I'm also going to edit "bocage" to have "Large Hedgerow" values (for GT 1.8 ) ... so any hedge with a large shadow will have equal results, when acted upon.

Elements.zip
 Description:
fixed windows

Download
 Filename:  Elements.zip
 Filesize:  6.79 KB
 Downloaded:  320 Time(s)

schrecken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:04 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

I can just see these guys shimmering up 4 stories and slipping elegantly through  an open window.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:10 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Yeah well, they had brains, our little sprites don't.

schrecken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:11 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

I guess their comraders got to see their brains when they attempted to climb 4 story buildings.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:19 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

schrecken wrote (View Post):
I can just see these guys shimmering up 4 stories and slipping elegantly through  an open window.

not sure what your point is ... stock TLD has them walking through walls with ease, but passing very slowly through windows. The only way windows coded that way, would have made sense ... would be to have the walls so soldiers could not pass through.

In my opinion ... the above posted elements file (that was just edited) is a pretty good CC representation of walls, windows, doors in relation to soldier movement.

I've experimented with having walls that can't be passed through ... and although it's interesting to see soldiers be restricted to windows and doors ... it is not practical in CC, especially in city maps with lots of buildings. Teams get separated very easily, and have other problems as well.

Last edited by davidssfx on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:19 am; edited 6 times in total

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat The Longest Day
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Jump to: