Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1221
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 Author
Cathartes

Rep: 101.3
votes: 15

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:38 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

My 2 cents: annoying, obscure, gameranger limitation that takes the polish, atmosphere, and fun from present and future mods.  Once finished I may try and contact the man behind gameranger myself--I've seen him post on some other forums.

davidssfx

Rep: 16.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:54 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Tejszd wrote (View Post):

GameRanger comments/discussion is probably best in another thread as this thread is for GJS on TLD! Thank you for the updates Cathartes and for coming back to move/update the mod for the newer CC version!!!!

Game Ranger with TLD mods discussion moved to:
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=57290#57290

tigercub

Rep: 23.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:15 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Cathartes wrote (View Post):
For the few who might be interested...

GJS is getting a small overhaul and is now working in tLD.  With a little more spit, polish, and tinkering I may have a beta for uploading/testing soon. It plays MUCH better than in CCV.

Why not for LSA?  Well, LSA has a lot of new features which would essentially require a whole new GJS --the mod was not designed for so many battle/turns, static BGs, stacking of BGs, etc. --would require major renovation.  Starting with something doable.

ThX just what i am waiting for great new indeed...how close are you now? THE best all time Mod ever.

The best Target is the one you just Hit!

Started with CC1 Demo

tigercub

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:53 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Assuming that the GC stays the same, how many turns per day do people want?

Keep it at 2 turns per day with a night round on the first day only?

Or...more?  GC was designed with two turns per day.

That would be my vote....the less changes the better but keep in mind the campaign is in favour of an allied win the Germans are very hard pressed to win this one....i have played both sides against the same player swapping at the end of each day and we both say the same thing the Allied are the Winners.

Tigercub

Started with CC1 Demo

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:12 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

I would vote to just add single night turn for the night drop before the landings.

buuface

Rep: 56.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:33 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

I have met more people who say that the compaign is more in favour of the germans.

Personally i think its pretty eveni n v44

Amgot

Rep: 46.8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:45 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

I would vote to just add single night turn for the night drop before the landings.

Same here.

Pzt_Serk

Rep: 8.7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:20 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

I'm also in favor of a single night turn on first day only. And please, if possible, avoid the random drop thingy Wink

Dundradal

Rep: 27.9
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:21 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

I'd also vote for a single night turn on the first day.

"To you, we are deeply grateful, and release what little hold we might, as Durandal, have had on your soul.
Go."
- Final Terminal Message, Marathon Infinity

MarkM

Rep: 43.9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:02 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

tigercub wrote (View Post):
Assuming that the GC stays the same, how many turns per day do people want?

Keep it at 2 turns per day with a night round on the first day only?

Or...more?  GC was designed with two turns per day.

That would be my vote....the less changes the better but keep in mind the campaign is in favour of an allied win the Germans are very hard pressed to win this one....i have played both sides against the same player swapping at the end of each day and we both say the same thing the Allied are the Winners.

Tigercub

Von you are comparing apples to oranges. We played a heavily modified game in terms of the data, thus changing the balance compared to the vanilla or TRSM versions. One big factor alone was the lethality of the 6 pounder with special ammo.

Thus whilst we found the allies in favour, others will not when using a different data set.  

Cheers,

Mark

Cathartes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:17 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Pzt_Serk wrote (View Post):

I'm also in favor of a single night turn on first day only. And please, if possible, avoid the random drop thingy Wink

The random drop on the Merville Batteries and Pegasus Bridge is difficult to avoid unless more neutral maps are added for airborne drops with movement to follow, or you want to forget about a night turn and fight the airborne battles after the beach battles.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:42 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Please consider using a larger grenade explosion size ... as done in GT.
Since grenades don't leave a small crater anymore, and the explosion graphic is so tiny ... it's hard to tell where the grenade went off.
With a one larger size explosion ... you can better see the grenade explosion location. I can't remember for sure but I may have done the same for rifle grenades.
The rifle grenades also work best with a specific sound associated to them ... so you know when one has been fired. Stock TLD used just the rifle sound.

just thinking of preferences for your consideration

thanks

tigercub

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:04 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Pzt_Serk wrote (View Post):

The random drop on the Merville Batteries and Pegasus Bridge is difficult to avoid unless more neutral maps are added for airborne drops with movement to follow, or you want to forget about a night turn and fight the airborne battles after the beach battles.

I would keep in the random drops then save the pain...

Tigercub

Started with CC1 Demo

MarkM

Rep: 43.9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:15 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

I agree with tigercub.

KISS guys. keep It Simple Stupid.

We don't need to change things are are not a major problem and then adding in more problems consequently and also lengthening the time till this mod is released.

cheers,

Mark

buuface

Rep: 56.4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:06 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Hello Cathartes

Just want to say thank you again for picking up this project> You are making many an old CC player very happy and exited.

I was just wondering what your process is regarding correcting the discrepancies you mentioned in some of the unit data (armor penetration values ect.)

Is there a list of reported errors you are reviewing?  Or are you going through the whole list again to look for mistakes?

And which source(s) of information are you taking the values from?

I am sure there are people (veteran players of GJS) who would be willing to help by sharing their opinions or observations about the current data set.

I have recently started a GJS3.5 GC with a friend of mine using a slightly altered unit data which uses more historically accurate values for some weapons and armour. Would it help you to have a list of the major changes he has made to the data?

I am sure you probably have already the behind the scenes help you need but i just thought i'd ask ;)

RD_Overkenshin

Cathartes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:42 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

buuface wrote (View Post):

Just want to say thank you again for picking up this project> You are making many an old CC player very happy and exited.

I was just wondering what your process is regarding correcting the discrepancies you mentioned in some of the unit data (armor penetration values ect.)

Is there a list of reported errors you are reviewing?  Or are you going through the whole list again to look for mistakes?

I am sure there are people (veteran players of GJS) who would be willing to help by sharing their opinions or observations about the current data set.

I have recently started a GJS3.5 GC with a friend of mine using a slightly altered unit data which uses more historically accurate values for some weapons and armour. Would it help you to have a list of the major changes he has made to the data?

I am sure you probably have already the behind the scenes help you need but i just thought i'd ask ;)

RD_Overkenshin

Thanks for the comments and good questions.

I've been sitting on this mod for a bit trying to figure out which path to take given my time and RL.  
1. The biggest thing I've done to date is to get the mod functioning without errors, crashes, or graphical problems in tLD platform using GJS 4.4 as the template so that the stratmap is working as intended.  
2. The second biggest thing I've done is to make some major updates to sound.
3. The third thing I've begun, but not completed, is to update some of the graphics (new aircraft art & shadows, new unit icons consistent with tLD/LSA,  2-3 new German HT types used by 21st Pz, and some color correction on some of the allied vehicles).
4.  The fourth thing I've done, in terms of time and effort, is to make some corrections to the data.
5.  The final thing I've begun, but haven't completed, is a new map for Lebisey.

I haven't touched tanks, HTs, penetration values, etc.  I have fiddled with open-topped AFV top armor and gun top armor and mortar data. This is related to the perpetual issue of mortars taking out guns and HTs. I think I have as good as solution as is possible with the game engine, and I'm satisfied with what I've seen so far.  It makes HTs and guns more difficult to kill with mortars, while it makes mortars a little more effective against infantry compared to GJS 4.4.  Usually AT crew will be killed/wounded before a gun is destroyed by a round. Other than this, the only significant change to data is the ability to use 3pdr/81mm mortars under 450m.  Simply put, that ability is gone, and it changes the way and when these mortars can be used tactically.  I like it better, but others may not and may not agree.  Doctrinally speaking, there's a fair and strong argument for the change.  Gameplay-wise you can argue from any position and have a point.  I'm still evaluating.  

I'm uncertain how much more data to evaluate or change.  There are some good decisions in the TRSM, but there are also some questionable ones.  My inclination is to get this out sooner than later and release as a beta and make incremental changes based on discussion and testing from that release point forward.

tigercub

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:08 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Hi Cathartes,

Sounds like u are on the path and thx with the good work , mortars the min range issue still in the old GJS it is set to 60m , but in WW2 the M1 mortar had a min range of 180m (with the exception of air burst ammo)  , I feel an in-between would better suited for game play.

Tigercub

Started with CC1 Demo

tigercub

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:16 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

useful links for data

http://www.freeweb.hu/gva/index.html

http://www.tarrif.net/cgi/production/all_penetration_adv.php

Tigercub

Started with CC1 Demo

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:02 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

buuface wrote (View Post):

RD_Overkenshin

Thanks for the comments and good questions.

I've been sitting on this mod for a bit trying to figure out which path to take given my time and RL.  
1. The biggest thing I've done to date is to get the mod functioning without errors, crashes, or graphical problems in tLD platform using GJS 4.4 as the template so that the stratmap is working as intended.  
2. The second biggest thing I've done is to make some major updates to sound.
3. The third thing I've begun, but not completed, is to update some of the graphics (new aircraft art & shadows, new unit icons consistent with tLD/LSA,  2-3 new German HT types used by 21st Pz, and some color correction on some of the allied vehicles).
4.  The fourth thing I've done, in terms of time and effort, is to make some corrections to the data.
5.  The final thing I've begun, but haven't completed, is a new map for Lebisey.

I haven't touched tanks, HTs, penetration values, etc.  I have fiddled with open-topped AFV top armor and gun top armor and mortar data. This is related to the perpetual issue of mortars taking out guns and HTs. I think I have as good as solution as is possible with the game engine, and I'm satisfied with what I've seen so far.  It makes HTs and guns more difficult to kill with mortars, while it makes mortars a little more effective against infantry compared to GJS 4.4.  Usually AT crew will be killed/wounded before a gun is destroyed by a round. Other than this, the only significant change to data is the ability to use 3pdr/81mm mortars under 450m.  Simply put, that ability is gone, and it changes the way and when these mortars can be used tactically.  I like it better, but others may not and may not agree.  Doctrinally speaking, there's a fair and strong argument for the change.  Gameplay-wise you can argue from any position and have a point.  I'm still evaluating.  

I'm uncertain how much more data to evaluate or change.  There are some good decisions in the TRSM, but there are also some questionable ones.  My inclination is to get this out sooner than later and release as a beta and make incremental changes based on discussion and testing from that release point forward.

Hi,
All five points sound excellent ... glad to hear you have the GJS strat working in TLD!
thanks for the update  Smile
Good idea about releasing a beta in order to get feedback ... before more data changes are made

Wittmann81

Rep: 11.2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:32 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

This is wonderful news! I bought CCTLD some time ago but never played it more than once. So for almost ten years I and my friends have been playing CCV GJS. The 00.00-time bug in CCV was more than depressing.

Will this GJS mod use the same battle group pictures as the old mod? I loved the old WWII photographs of tanks and infantrymen. For some reason they made the whole game come alive.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat The Longest Day
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Jump to: