Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
davidssfx

Rep: 16.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:43 am Post subject: Column Rules (H2H) Reply with quote

Here is a simple set of rules for H2H game play Smile ... edited to reflect changes

Column Rules (CR)

Unit selection for Active Roster

1. Must use at least one Scout Team (if available)

2. First and Second Platoon columns:
Use any combination of Infantry Teams … but a maximum 1-MG … per each Platoon column.
Therefore, maximum total of MG's for both Platoon Columns: 2-MG
No selection of AFV’s, ATG’s, or Medium Mortars in First and Second Platoon columns

3. Support Teams column:
Use any combination of Teams, but one slot must have: a Mortar or Half Track/Carrier or ATG.
This is the only column for selection of AFV’s, ATG’s, and Medium Mortars

4. Minimum of three Command Teams ... one at the top of each column.
The Support column can use either Infantry Command or AFV Command (if available)

Last edited by davidssfx on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:02 pm Post subject: Re: Column Rules (H2H) Reply with quote

Column rules should make it possible to have a more balanced and realistic combination of units entering the battle field.
By using the "Support Teams" column as the only column for selecting AFV’s, ATG’s, and Medium Mortars, a player will be limited to the amount of quantities of these Team types.
It's still possible to overload an "Active Roster" with many of one type of Team, but it will come at the expense of having less other important Teams types.

Example: It's possible to select 4-Medium Mortars, but by doing this ... there will be no room left to select any AFV's or ATG's.
It's also possible to have more than two "2-AT Infantry, 2-MG, 2-Light Mortar" ... but will need to be done by using the "Support Teams" column slots.

BG's with Command AFV's available will have an advantage of an extra slot for an AFV, but only as long as one remains available to select ... slot will be filled with Command Infantry when there isn't a Command AFV. This makes sense because a BG with a Command AFV (Armored or Mechanized BG) should have an AFV quantity advantage over an Infantry BG.

The Points cap rules had a flaw and could seem complicated at times.
The flaw was: if you (by mistake) moved an AFV to a non AFV slot (and kept that AFV active after the battle) ... then it would appear in the slot you moved it to, and another AFV would fill the AFV slot. Therefore you can increase your points total and overload an Active Roster with high point Teams ... both of which defeat the points cap system.

Column Rules seems to be a simple and effective way of balancing game play regarding Team selection.

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:19 am Post subject: Re: Column Rules (H2H) Reply with quote

David, you should call it "The Nostalgia rule" as that's clearly based on CC2 system Wink.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:36 am Post subject: Re: Column Rules (H2H) Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):
David, you should call it "The Nostalgia rule" as that's clearly based on CC2 system Wink.

haha, no kidding
I've never played CC2, but if that's the way it was done then ... I can't imagine why it didn't remain the standard  Shocked

Anyhow, I haven't actually played with these rules yet ... but the thinking behind it seems to be sound

Smile

Dima

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:12 am Post subject: Re: Column Rules (H2H) Reply with quote

Quote:
haha, no kidding
I've never played CC2, but if that's the way it was done then ... I can't imagine why it didn't remain the standard

hehe, yeah, CC2 had 2 platoons for infantry and 1 platoon for support.
And it had pretty realistic things like LMG were counted as Infantry for the Germans and as Support for the Allies, more difference were there as well that i don't remember now Smile.

Well, you know my opinion, i think we made progressive way from CC2 to CC5, not regressive, so again IMO choosing any team you want for battle from a Force Pool is the best thing CC5 has given to us Smile.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:34 am Post subject: Re: Column Rules (H2H) Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):
Quote:
haha, no kidding
I've never played CC2, but if that's the way it was done then ... I can't imagine why it didn't remain the standard

hehe, yeah, CC2 had 2 platoons for infantry and 1 platoon for support.
And it had pretty realistic things like LMG were counted as Infantry for the Germans and as Support for the Allies, more difference were there as well that i don't remember now Smile.

Well, you know my opinion, i think we made progressive way from CC2 to CC5, not regressive, so again IMO choosing any team you want for battle from a Force Pool is the best thing CC5 has given to us Smile.

Are you saying that in CC2 ... you couldn't select AFV’s, ATG’s, and Medium Mortars in the first two columns (First and Second Platoons)?  Shocked
If so, how can we get that reinstated in TLD?  Smile ... now that would be a mod  Smile

Maybe I'll drop TLD and try and get a copy of CC2 ... no wonder you still see people on GR with CC2

Dima

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:43 am Post subject: Re: Column Rules (H2H) Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you saying that in CC2 ... you couldn't select AFV’s, ATG’s, and Medium Mortars in the first two columns (First and Second Platoons)?

absolutely Smile.

Quote:
Maybe I'll drop TLD and try and get a copy of CC2 ... no wonder you still see people on GR with CC2

you won't like it after TLD Wink.

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:30 am Post subject: Re: Column Rules (H2H) Reply with quote

LSA works similarly.

strat1262.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.24 KB
 Viewed:  3880 Time(s)

strat1262.jpg

strat1261.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.13 KB
 Viewed:  3880 Time(s)

strat1261.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

davidssfx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:17 am Post subject: Re: Column Rules (H2H) Reply with quote

schrecken wrote (View Post):
LSA works similarly.

hmm ... didn't know that about LSA, thanks

Now that it's know to be possible to lock columns in CC (thanks for the info) ... I would like to get TLD's Support column to be the only column for selecting AFV’s, ATG’s, and Mortars. Any ideas how to do it. I don't mind editing the bg file to have all the AFV’s, ATG’s, and Mortars in the Support column ... just need some help to get it locked

Upon further thinking ... I've revised the initial idea, for simplicity:

Column Rules (CR)

Unit selection for Active Roster

1. Must use at least one Scout Team (if available)

2. First and Second Platoon columns:
Use any combination of Infantry Teams … but a maximum 1-MG … per each Platoon column.
Therefore, maximum total of MG's for both Platoon Columns: 2-MG
No selection of AFV’s, ATG’s, or Medium Mortars in First and Second Platoon columns

3. Support Teams column:
Use any combination of Teams, but one slot must have: a Mortar or Half Track/Carrier or ATG.
This is the only column for selection of AFV’s, ATG’s, and Medium Mortars

4. Minimum of three Command Teams ... one at the top of each column.
The Support column can use either Infantry Command or AFV Command (if available)

Last edited by davidssfx on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:56 pm; edited 3 times in total

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:56 pm Post subject: Re: Column Rules (H2H) Reply with quote

in cc2 you have 8 slots for infantry and 6 for support units (tanks,guns,cars and mortars), there are differences between sides for similar units, like the pzschreck being a support unit, but the piat and bazooka are infantry.

davidssfx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:33 pm Post subject: Re: Column Rules (H2H) Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
in cc2 you have 8 slots for infantry and 6 for support units (tanks,guns,cars and mortars), there are differences between sides for similar units, like the pzschreck being a support unit, but the piat and bazooka are infantry.

Thanks for the extra info Pzt_Kanov

I think (for TLD) just having a single exclusive column (now named "Support") for AFV’s, ATG’s, and Medium Mortars ... is best.
Then a player can use the other two columns (First and Second Platoon) to select units that sometimes accompany infantry ... such as:
1. AT Infantry (Schreck, Piat, Bazooka, Faust)
2. Light Mortar
3. MG (either 3 or 4 man Team MG's)
note about MG's: I do think it's best to have a limit of one per Platoon, and if a player wants more ... then has to use the Support column. This will stop over selection of MG's unless a player uses up valuable Support column slots.
For AT Infantry and Light Mortars ... there isn't really a need to limit them, because a player selecting too many of these types would risk being over-run by larger sized Infantry Teams.

In conclusion ... this will allow players to custom build BG's to their liking, but still provides a limit system. The limit system doesn't completely stop over use of certain Team types ... but it does force a player make trade offs in other Team types when making their selections
The end result is a more balanced Active Roster, better representative of combat formations ... for example: a higher ratio of regular infantry Teams compared to AFV’s, ATG’s, and Medium Mortars.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess -> H2H Multiplayer

Jump to: