Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
mikwarleo

Rep: 38.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:25 pm Post subject: Guide: How to create 20min games (instead of 15/30min) Reply with quote

For some time now this has been my preferred game time setting, I feel it creates more realistic gameplay offering a better balance for battles. It takes away a good portion of the fast paced  'arcade' style gaming common in 15min battles while still being very fun and not being as long (and often boring) as the 30min game.

How to set up 20 min rounds in your games:

You need to edit the save file.
You need to have played at least one battle in the GC before the edit will be successful.

Step 1:
On CCS go to: Downloads -> Main -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy -> Tools

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Downloads&cid=56

Download CCRegXP

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Downloads&op=getit&lid=298

Install CCReg XP

Run Application

In application select Files > Load Campaign Settings (or Load Game for single battles/ops) > Select save file you want to edit

A window will pop up allowing you to edit all base game settings selected at the start of a game.

To change the time go to dropdown box and select 'other'. Enter your desired time in the window below (in this case 20).

Select continue.

You're done! Enjoy    8)

EDIT: I should say credit goes to Dima for showing me how to do this.
EDIT: Windows UAC (User Account Control) can interfere with this program, if the changes aren't applied to your save after following the above method correctly try moving file to be changed outside program files directory, make change and then copy back. Alternatively try turning off UAC.

20min games | Replace Commander | Disband Rule | CC5 Strat Guide

Last edited by mikwarleo on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:36 am; edited 4 times in total

LostTemple

Rep: 59.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:33 am Post subject: Re: Guide: How to create 20min games (instead of 15/30min) Reply with quote

nice! never knew this could be done.

just curious.  what do you personally feel are the benefits of a 20 minute battle?

i personally think 15 minutes are okay, and 30 mins is definitely too long....but what about 20 minutes??

mikwarleo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:03 pm Post subject: Re: Guide: How to create 20min games (instead of 15/30min) Reply with quote

I only heard about 20min rounds recently. I've only played a handful of battles at 20min and didn't know how to personally change the save. I'd mentioned it to a few people after hearing about it and several people expressed a strong interest but did not know how to set it up either. Hence the guide.

I always preferred 15min over 30min. 30min just seemed to long, you so often end up with a few stragglers battling for control of an entire map after the main battle is long over. 15 min seemed the better option but there's little time to scout or respond especially on larger maps, it requires hit hard and fast as the main strategy and so it feels a bit 'gamey' or 'arcade' style to me. I find most attacks are 'rushed' at 15 min and rushing equals unnecessary losses.

The extra 5 mins is not long enough to make a battle drawn out (imho) but is just long enough to do some more intelligent things like probing defences or conducting a good counter attack.

CC_CO

Rep: 32.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:00 pm Post subject: Re: Guide: How to create 20min games (instead of 15/30min) Reply with quote

Thanks for the guide. I just tried to change the time on a test game, however it doest seem to work. Not sure what Im doing wrong:

- In application select Files > Load Campaign Settings (or Load Game for single battles/ops) > Select save file you want to edit

- A window will pop up allowing you to edit all base game settings selected at the start of a game.

- To change the time go to dropdown box and select 'other'. Enter your desired time in the window below (in this case 20).

All done, however, in the game it doesn't change the time set. It still says 15 minutes, both in the screen for saved games, and in the game it self (battle timer).

CC_CO

Rep: 32.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:40 pm Post subject: Re: Guide: How to create 20min games (instead of 15/30min) Reply with quote

Compatibility seemed to be the problem. Seems to work now. Great program!

mikwarleo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:34 pm Post subject: Re: Guide: How to create 20min games (instead of 15/30min) Reply with quote

Just saw your posts, glad u got it sorted Smile

chessmaster

Rep: 33.1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:01 am Post subject: Re: Guide: How to create 20min games (instead of 15/30min) Reply with quote

thanks for the tip! superb

Part of being a commander is knowing when to smile, make the troops happy
even if it is the last thing in the world you want to do

tigercub

Rep: 23.5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:15 am Post subject: Re: Guide: How to create 20min games (instead of 15/30min) Reply with quote

LostTemple wrote (View Post):
nice! never knew this could be done.

just curious.  what do you personally feel are the benefits of a 20 minute battle?

i personally think 15 minutes are okay, and 30 mins is definitely too long....but what about 20 minutes??

i have been playing 20min battles for more than 10 years, i found 30 mins far to long in campaigns you would fall asleep waiting for some thing to happen and a Negitive for the defender ,with 15 min battles was better but often you run out of time as the battle was getting going a negitive for the attacker.

for me the 20mins is a nice balance!

Tiger

The best Target is the one you just Hit!

Started with CC1 Demo

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy

Jump to: