Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Author
tigercub

Rep: 23.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:06 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

i am not asking u to do it ,but i do like combat pics far more than the icons... Cool

Tigercub

The best Target is the one you just Hit!

Started with CC1 Demo

schrecken

Rep: 195
votes: 15

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:56 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

I much prefer icons

Most combat pics are of poor quality and thus hard to determine their meaning.

:)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Amgot

Rep: 46.8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:55 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

I'm all for icons too. Great job Cathartes, very much looking forward to the release!

Wittmann81

Rep: 11.2
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:08 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

I loved the combat pics of GJS 4.4. They made the whole game come alive. The poor quality of the photographs, gave the game a more historical flavor.

The icons somehow take away all of that. It feels more like a 2011 war game with modern icons. They fit for a game portraying Desert Storm or any other modern conflict, but if you are making GJS 4.4 it almost has to be low quality photographs instead of modern, cartoonish icons.  

But my guess is it will be easy to make a mod for the mod, with the authentic photographs. So probably not a big deal :)

Edit: tigercub´s avatar makes me want to install and play CCV GJS again. I want the game to look more like tigercub´s avatar and less like schrecken´s avatar Smile

platoon_michael

Rep: 47.6
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:03 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

I agree with using Photos also.
It's just time consuming to find all the ones you need and require a LOT more graphic editing.
But the end result is well worth it inmho.

UO0039.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.85 KB
 Viewed:  9784 Time(s)

UO0039.jpg

mooxe

Rep: 221.1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:38 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

I can see schreckens point, but its shortsighted. If you play the game for awhile, you shouldnt have trouble recognizing whats what. Most of us could probably correctly identify many units from classic CC5 and GJS  just by thier photo still. Michaels reasoning is the truth on using photos which is why icons are used. The map symbols on the other hand, I think are just a way of filling up the box with candy and serve no other purpose. Theres already enough ways to identify a unit, icon/picture, visual in game, overview map and name, does a map symbol really add anything?

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

schrecken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:08 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Quote:
If you play the game for awhile, you shouldnt have trouble recognizing whats what.

true even a lousy set of pictures becomes familiar after 100's of games.

The icons are recognisable first time.

There is no question which system conveys the information better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

platoon_michael

Rep: 47.6

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:12 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

@ Charities:
Maybe if you changed the background color,
Go with something other than that ugly arse green.
It just doesn't fit in with the CCV blue.

Still a lot of work I know,but it just doesn't fit,kind of an eye sore to be honest.

The 2nd biggest problem with real pictures for Icons for me is trying to find snow camo tanks for the Veteran Teams.
Nothing pisses me off more than seeing the same Olive Drab Tank being used for all Tanks.
And that doesn't help at all when viewing your BG.
also applies to just about any other Tank/Vehicle as well.
Don't show me a Tan Vehicle Icon when the Vehicle in game has a Winter Camo."THAT SUCKS"!

Mostly that applies to me but you get the point.

mooxe

Rep: 221.1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:06 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

schrecken wrote (View Post):
Quote:
If you play the game for awhile, you shouldnt have trouble recognizing whats what.

true even a lousy set of pictures becomes familiar after 100's of games.

The icons are recognisable first time.

There is no question which system conveys the information better.

I'll agree that a good system of conveying what a unit is to the player is needed. Game art vs icons is debatable further though. Theres a ton of games that use art and convey the message very accurately and probably vice versa. The icons and map symbols seem to be more prevailant in hex and turn based games.

With all the different types of infantry teams, icons will remain as obscure as game art. You will just go by the name of the unit at the bottom team display portion of the screen, or the "historical" name when you click on the unit.

The photos used in GJS added some history to the game, to see them replaced with icons really doesnt serve much advantage.

Maybe someone whos new to the game can explain how the team data overlay actually helps identify units. I don't use it to identify units such as types of tanks and support weapons (not types of infantry), I can see them on screen and I know where they are.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

tigercub

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:55 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

"IF" Cathartes
wanted to add photos i would be more than happy to help him get the images,I am a photographer and can size them and edit them.
it maybe 2011, but it was set in 1944 icons dont have the feel of the time.

Tigercub

Started with CC1 Demo

schrecken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:14 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Icons were used in WWII

tigercub

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:36 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Ill keep my Tiger pic thx.

Tigercub

Started with CC1 Demo

Wittmann81

Rep: 11.2
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:07 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

I mostly play CC with a friend who normally doesn´t play computer games at all. Most people still playing CC are WWII nerds and not gamers, so things like small poor quality photographs are important to us Smile. We don´t need good graphics to enjoy the game, but we need those photographs, since they add all the flavor and historical feeling.

davidssfx

Rep: 16.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:17 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

I think the best of both worlds would be to have historical photos for the Battle Group screen ... and TLD style icons for in game.
The small black silhouette icons work well for identifying Teams in game (F5).

Amgot

Rep: 46.8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:34 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

davidssfx wrote (View Post):
I think the best of both worlds would be to have historical photos for the Battle Group screen ... and TLD style icons for in game.
The small black silhouette icons work well for identifying Teams in game (F5).

I think the best of both world would be to have a choice between two versions - one with historical photos and one with TLD style icons. Smile

That way, players will be able to choose whatever they prefer.

Cathartes

Rep: 101.3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:04 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

latest update on Lebisey map below, so we're nearly approaching the home stretch for beta

GJS mod update on Matrix site

davidssfx

Rep: 16.8
votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:19 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

wow ... lookin great!

diggin.robat

Rep: 39.7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:53 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Gawd! Another ATG nest and tank cemetary!

Keep up the good work!

GW modding team

papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:37 am Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

Wow those fields are something else.

Pzt_Kevin_dtn

Rep: 10.9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:19 pm Post subject: Re: GJS for tLD Reply with quote

So I haven't weighed in on anything for some time but being a long time cc'er I much more prefer the historical photos for units.  That was one of the things that I liked abot GJS when I started playing in way back when.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat The Longest Day
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Jump to: