Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1180
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
 Author
mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:53 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Reading "Red Army Infantrymen Remember the Great Patriotic War" by Artem Drabkin & Isaak Kobylyanskiy. Finished the first two interviews. Good book.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Blackstump

Rep: 24.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:25 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

The Last Post. A collection of stories of the last 21 WW1 British soldiers still alive .
Their ages are from 104 to 109. These men have lived thru WW1, the great depression, WW2, and the millenium.
A common denominator is their hate of war and politicians!! The book was published in 2004.

"percute et percute velociter"

mooxe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:50 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Commanding the Red Army's Sherman Tanks: The World War II Memoirs of Hero of the Soviet Union Dmitriy Loza

This is a really nice book on how the Soviets used their lend lease Shermans. Lots of examples of stuff they did in tank warfare that we do in CC. Once example was in/around Budapest. A sherman was hiding in an alley way, poking out to shoot at a Panther then backing in. Distracting a Tiger tank from one angle and engaging it from the opposite.

One particular battle was very interesting to read. A group of Shermans spots four Tigers at night, they choose not to engage. Theres heavy snow and both the Tigers and the Shermans are getting coated in it. The Shermans move into position during the night and take up aim on the Tigers. They wait for first light. When first light comes they open up on the Tigers and knock them all out. The Tiger crews let their optics get covered in snow, they had no way of delivering return fire.

Lots of examples on how the Shermans engaged heavy tanks.

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:30 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Mooxe,

i believe it worth mentioning that these Shermans were M4A2 (Sherman III) with 76mm guns capable of penetrating more armor than soviet 85mm and not 75mm versions.

Rep: 60.6

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:35 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

'The fall of Rome' by Adrian Goldsworthy

We are the pilgrims, master. We shall go
 always a little further, it may be
beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow,
 across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Manoi

Rep: 89.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:16 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

the Angriff by Jason D. Mark. In fact there are more pictures than text!   Smile

matthewhalos

Rep: 42.3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:17 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Reader's Digest: Illustrated Story of World War II
       -My great grandfather (a veteran of world war II) gave this to me before he died because he knew i was a fan of world war II...... he bought this book from Reader's Digest on December 10, 1971.
Battlefield: The Skills of Modern War by David Miller
       -It is a gift from my parents in last year's Christmas.....

"For those who want to live, let them fight. For those who don't want to fight in this world does not deserve to live." -Adolf Hitler (excerpt from the Mein Kampf)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:03 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Dumb question...but where is a good resource to find WWII history books?  Borders and Barnes and Noble are decent...but pretty limited choices.  Amazon?

What will the Revolution Change? - Youth Brigade

mooxe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:27 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

I use Amazon. Amazon has a great search function. They show you your title, related titles, what other people bought with the title your looking at. Aside from an occaisional book from the library I get all mine from Amazon.

kawasaky

Rep: 22.2
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:14 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Norbert&Stephan Lambert, Because you wear my name: hard destiny of prominent Nazi children

Father and son, both journalists, gathered 7 stories from the children of some of the highest ranking nazi party leaders like Hess, Goering, Bormann, Himmler... Those interviews were hard t o get for obvious reasons, and are very worth reading. However, I dunno if it is translated in English, the original name is:

Denn Du trägst meinen Namen. Das schwere Erbe der prominenten Nazi-Kinder

mooxe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:43 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Now reading The Damned by Nathan Greenfield.

Found this book in the local library. So far its amazing. The book covers the Canadian defence of Hong Kong, in graphic detail. The British and Indians are men mentioned as well but the focus is on Canadians. Half the book deals with the battle which I just finished, the other half the POW experience.

Veterans interviews after the war were used as well as recent interviews. These veterans spoke about the grisly details of melee fighting and bayonet charges. The descriptions are on par with The Forgotten Soldier. Reading these details, I had a clear picture in my head of what was happening. One particular story that stood uot for me was this... A section leader goes on a recce with six others. They ambush a 12 man Japanese recce and the section leader is quickly separated and fighting for his life against this recce. The section leaders first shot misses, then he throws a grenade which injures or kills most of them as they are charging him because it exploded in the air behind them. As a japanese soldier bayonet rushes him. As the section leader forgot to put his bayonet on, he clubs him his rifle by grabbing it by the barrel and swinging it. Just as he does this another Japanese soldier attacks him with a sword. He grabs the sword with his left hand, gets him in a headlock with his right hand and pins him to the ground. Struggling to keep his legs pinned since he feared the soldier would use judo, he remembers his pistol. It fell out of the holster but was still attached by a lanyard. He lets go of the sword to grab it, presses the pistol to the soldier neck but he cant fire. He can get his finger to the trigger when he grabbed the sowrd it cut his muscles in his hand. He was able to raise another finger to the trigger and shoot the man.

Much of the book covers rediculous command decisions fighting a force 100x the size of the defenders. Arguing in the chain of command, officers trying to do whats best in the situation, empire vs colonial troops... Its an excellent insight to how officers thought and how the men thought of them in these situations.

I like how this book, with passages such as those, brings me in so much that there is nothing else I can think of. I am unaware of whats going on in my house.

mooxe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:48 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
Commanding the Red Army's Sherman Tanks: The World War II Memoirs of Hero of the Soviet Union Dmitriy Loza

This is a really nice book on how the Soviets used their lend lease Shermans. Lots of examples of stuff they did in tank warfare that we do in CC. Once example was in/around Budapest. A sherman was hiding in an alley way, poking out to shoot at a Panther then backing in. Distracting a Tiger tank from one angle and engaging it from the opposite.

One particular battle was very interesting to read. A group of Shermans spots four Tigers at night, they choose not to engage. Theres heavy snow and both the Tigers and the Shermans are getting coated in it. The Shermans move into position during the night and take up aim on the Tigers. They wait for first light. When first light comes they open up on the Tigers and knock them all out. The Tiger crews let their optics get covered in snow, they had no way of delivering return fire.

Lots of examples on how the Shermans engaged heavy tanks.

Finished this one. it was an expensive hardcover book, $50. Worth it.

I writer, who was one of the leaders in this tank unit had an emotional connection to his tanks. Him and his men shared that. At the end of the war the USA started taking back all thier lend-lease equipment. The Shermans were ordered back to  aport to begin loading. At the port it was reported that the lend-lease aircraft were simple being stamped in a metal compressor, shipped out to see and dumped. Once the Russian government found this out they ordered the turrets taken off all the Shermans and gave them to farmers to use as tractors.

If this was a widespread order, I suppose theres a few hundred or maybe a few thousand Shermans that were on the farms in Russia. Has anyone heard about this?

7A_Woulf

Rep: 22.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:26 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
If this was a widespread order, I suppose theres a few hundred or maybe a few thousand Shermans that were on the farms in Russia. Has anyone heard about this?

Guess that Dima is the guy to ask about this...

But I've heard that they did the same with newer tanks (was it T-60 and T-72?) in the 80's and 90's; -remove the turret, weapons and radios and sold/gave them away as tractors.

"When the tough gets going, I run to live to run another day..."

"Is this trip really necessary?"

dj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:07 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Just picked-up Beevor's The Fall of Berlin 1945 and a Dungeons and Dragons saga book.  Got an unbelievable deal 50% off at Borders...store is closing so they had everything marked down at least half off.  Amazon is driving Borders and Barnes & Nobles to the brink of bankruptcy.

Lt_2nd

Rep: 15.6

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:59 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Just finished reading the "Brenner Assignment" about the OSS missions to disrupt and block axis supply routes in Northern Italy and the Brenner Pass late in the war. Got it at borders for 9$ also on amazon for about the same price. Its an easy and entertaining read.

kawasaky

Rep: 22.2
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:36 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

revisiting some classics after a number of years:
Alexis de Tocqueville, The Old Regime and the Revolution
John Locke, Letters Concerning Toleration
Jean-Jacques Rousseau, The Social Contract

Luuraja

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:32 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Hmm, seems like my first post in this forum.

Since I was forced to live behind Iron Curtain in my young ages, so I'm very interested of what was going on in Western front and in Pacific theater.
So last one I read was Stephen Ambrose's "D-Day, June 6, 1944"

But now I'm reading memoirs of German Panzercommander Otto Carius "Tigers in the Mud" - Amazon
There's lot of talk about battles in Estonia, my homeland, in 1944.

dj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:53 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Yeah here in America...we had similar effect, where all the government and schools taught was West Front (mostly D-Day of course) and Pacific.  Almost NO mention of East Front due to Cold War propaganda here too.  Just barely a mention of Stalingrad and a little on capture of Berlin...but it was always with negative spin like the Ruskies were hordes from the Steppe and only cared about spreading Communism, etc.

Luuraja

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:35 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the sad thing of World War II.
For our little nation was difficult to see, who was right or not. The only one my grandparents wanted to see, was independent and neutral Estonian Republic...
But I am an Soviet product, I was an October Child and Pionier and last but not least served in Soviet Army Air Forces (80th OshAP, Su-25 Frogfoot mechanik). Somehow that was very useful experience.

platoon_michael

Rep: 47.6

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:51 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

It's hard finding a good book on the Western Front.
I would love to find a good book that covers operation Barbarossa.

There was a 3 book series years ago I got from Boarders but it read so horribly I took them back.
Had to fight like hell but they took em,never even made it through the first book.

I read Otto's book Tigers in the Mud,pretty good.

Last 2 books that I read that I really enjoyed was "RAID" by Abe Baum.
Very,very well written and just a Great story.
And
"The Longest Winter" by Alex Kershaw.
This book covers the 394th IR Platoon that eventually becomes the Most decorated Platoon in WWII

I strongly suggest both these books and that you read them in the order posted.
Assuming you don't already know the 2 stories.

I haven't read anything in a long time,I'm way over due.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to: