Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1166
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author

Matrix prices too high?
Yes
93%
 93%  [ 42 ]
No
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Not sure
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 45

dj

Rep: 156.9
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:49 pm Post subject: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

Is it just me, or is Matrix Games charging ridiculously high prices for games?  I don't have an issue with Close Combat prices, those are within reason.  But many of their other games are priced sky high.  Not sure if it's because Matrix thinks they have a monopoly on strategy games or what the justification is for these prices.

i.e. Steel Panthers $80 plus shipping? for a game that was written 15 years ago?  Harpoon still costs $50 that was released almost 20 years ago with a few minor tweaks.?

What will the Revolution Change? - Youth Brigade

Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:11 am Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

I agree Steel Panthers is really expensive, but its because you are buying the Megacampaigns, the core game is free.
So 4 megacampaigns for 20 bucks each its not too expensive, the problem is you must buy the four at once.
Still, I think they should be cheaper.

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Andreus

Rep: 16.8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:40 pm Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

Aah steel panthers...
You may get the Camo workshop's editions if you run out of campaigns...

You know, I'm just a normal guy like everyone else. Why, my friends say, "Andreus you're just so cool because you're normal just like everyone else." Yep, normal that's me. - Fallout 2

dj

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:42 pm Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

If Matrix cut their prices to $50 max for games, I personally would buy a ton.   I see just no justification for sky high prices especially for OLD games that were released many many years ago.  The only thing I can think of for their pricing strategy is that Matrix must feel they have a monopoly.  Unfortunately the military gaming industry has been completely hi-jacked by mindless FPS games - dime a dozen.  

Matrix is unfortunately the only major distributor to my knowledge that still produces/sells the traditional military games - hex-based, strategic warfare, etc.  Avalon Hill, Atomic and most of the other companies are long gone.

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:19 am Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

I'd gladly buy some of their games at up to 50PLN.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

MarchingBand

Rep: 0.7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:20 pm Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

dj wrote (View Post):
If Matrix cut their prices to $50 max for games, I personally would buy a ton.   I see just no justification for sky high prices especially for OLD games that were released many many years ago.  The only thing I can think of for their pricing strategy is that Matrix must feel they have a monopoly.  Unfortunately the military gaming industry has been completely hi-jacked by mindless FPS games - dime a dozen.  

Matrix is unfortunately the only major distributor to my knowledge that still produces/sells the traditional military games - hex-based, strategic warfare, etc.  Avalon Hill, Atomic and most of the other companies are long gone.

Have you tried Paradox or Ageod games? They still make the old fashioned kind of games also. A favourite of mine is from ageod called American civil war, really good old fashioned styled game Smile. Or the classic Hearts of Irons series from paradox.

mooxe

Rep: 220.9
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:24 am Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

The March edition of PCGamer talks about pricing. Specifically about Matrix Games. Pick up the edition and read it!

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:15 am Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

Have to agree....

I have the board game WAR in the East and would love to get Gary Grigsby's War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 but at $93.99 Canadian to get the box it is just too much right now....

mooxe

Rep: 220.9
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:17 am Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

Thats the example game they use in the article.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:04 am Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

But what do you guys think about the newly updated Operational Art of War.

I have been eying that one, but I think the games would just take too long.

Therion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:11 pm Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

We have to work for games even more in Poland.

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:24 pm Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

Face it, people who play wargames are smarter than people who market wargames.  Laughing

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

dj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:33 pm Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

Absolutely that's what separates us from the zombies whom play FPS copy-cat games that are a dime a dozen.  I'm fed-up with the Gaming Industry executives whom cater towards that crowd and practically ignore the serious "adult" games that require actual thought, strategy and a brain.

Meanwhile Matrix just jack-up their prices again through the roof so won't be spending my hard-earned $ until they do another holiday discount promo.  Otherwise those prices are absolutely INSANE!  Who spends almost $100 on a game?!  Even if I had a spare $100 to burn...just can't justify that absurd pricing model.

I want to buy that War in the East game too...but that list price is out of control.

Therion

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:13 am Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

Why play such a clickfest anyway? It doesn't even have AI HQs, something that War in Russia had in 1993.

Hostilian

Rep: 47.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:33 pm Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

Looking at the new games, they seem to be basically the same (with a few tweaks). Certainly not something I am going to rush out and buy when I already own CC2, 3, 4 and 5.
Considering the games probably made their money back a very long time ago; the price is verging on the extortionate.

COI £26.99 for the DOWNLOAD. You have to be joking!

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:15 pm Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

For those who can't play the old games on their new computer the new releases are priceless.

It is a much better deal to buy COI from Matrix and be able to play it on your computer then to buy CCIII for $100.00 on ebay and not be able to play it.

Still I wish all this could be done with a $25.00 COI price.

Close Combat's most infamous SOB

Hostilian

Rep: 47.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:39 pm Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

Who cant get it to work? I have a new PC with Windows 7 x64 and after a bit of fiddling with the settings, hey all work fine!

CC3 on Ebay is £24.99 just now!  ;-)

Rereleases should really be under $20, IMHO.

dj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:48 am Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

US_Brake wrote (View Post):
For those who can't play the old games on their new computer the new releases are priceless.

It is a much better deal to buy COI from Matrix and be able to play it on your computer then to buy CCIII for $100.00 on ebay and not be able to play it.

Only thing about CoI is lack of mods in comparison to CCIII.  Dreaded88 made one of the few with CoI Großdeutschland mod...but not sure if he was ever going to finish the 1940 France mod?

It was only because Dreaded88 made that mod, that I bought CoI in the first place.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:21 am Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

COI lack of mods?

Most CC3 mods have been converted to COI, see this thread by US_Brake for a list; http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8487

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:22 am Post subject: Re: Matrix Games prices too high? Reply with quote

US_Brake wrote (View Post):

Shhhhhh, don't tell Brake, but it is really not an auction, it's an IDIOT TEST  Exclamation

Brand new = 104.95, Like new = n/a, Very good = 27.95, Good = 39.94, Acceptable = 69.95 ... WTF  Exclamation

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess -> Site Info
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: