Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
 Author
kawasaky

Rep: 22.2
votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:15 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

The latest happenings in the Muslim countries only confirm that, because what the people want is just opposite to what brain-dead-islamic-militants want.
In fact, it could be a death blow for them because decadent western-copying regimes will have to go, denying the militants their primary enemy. The fact is that Islam is a non-violent religion, or if you want, no more violent than Christianity or Judaism are, and that the great majority of Muslims do not support militants, as they are victims of their crimes. With westernized regimes gone, they (the Muslims) will have a good chance to undertake modernization without westernization and to establish regimes much more in accordance with the teaching of Islam.
So yes, extremism is surely in decline, but the problem is that they could kick a lot in their mortal spasms, and some of those kicks could be heavy, although only to speed the dying process of those morons.

However, it is a very complex matter and cannot be discussed in a hurry. I have 6 more books on Islam and extremism to go through and will make a synthesis in the new topic.

Bungarra

Rep: 137.3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:47 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

ATTACK STATE RED; Colonel Richard Kemp & Chris Hughes

A true hard hitting story of The Royal Anglian Battle Group in Helmand Province 2007

Lees Viking passed an area of open ground to the left, dropping down to the wood line in the valley. As the WMIKs in front picked their way along the heavily potholed road, two local men appeared from nowhere and pushed a rusty old black Nissan into the path of Lee’s Viking, forcing the vehicle across to the right hand side of the road.
Lee had barely enough time to wonder what’s going on when the first RPG smashed  into the top of Dean Bailys Viking

Lee turned & saw Baily engulfed in flames, he just had time catch the terrified look on his mates face before Baily threw himself down inside the Vikings cab. Baily tore off his burning helmet & body armour & seconds later was back up in the fight, firing his SA80 at Taliban swarming all over the compound roofs. “Three enemy left…” In the forward turret of Lees Viking the marine gunner swung his GPMG to engage.
Lee dropped a gunman on the wall 40 mtrs away then heard a thumping noise from open ground off to the left. A soviet designed Degtjarev DShK 12.5mm anti-aircraft machine gun started to hose down the column spitting out bullets at the rate of 125 a minute. Red tracer streamed behind his vehicle.
A GPMG gunner in one of the Vikings  silenced the DShK with a long withering burst. By now all ten B company vehicles were engaged with the enemy. There was chaos inside Bailys burning Viking Sniper Teddy Rueker thought they had hit a mine. Then he heard the order to get out!, Get Out! From the commander, He shouted get out of the vehicle and booted open the heavily armoured door He grabbed Bailys leg and shouted up, Deano, get out mate we’re going – now…
A second PG7VL 93mm high-explosive warhead spiralled from its launcher at 295 mtrs per second slammed into the top of the Viking Baily had not made it out of the turret. ………….

The book is full on and it’s a rare day that The Anglicans didn’t see action
Deano Baily died from his horrific wounds.

I reproduced the description of this article to highlight the value of these proposed anti RPG systems. If they save even one life it is worth the investment!

You know if you don't live it.... You can't give it.

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:04 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Up Close and Personal
The Reality of Close-Quarter Fighting in World War II
by David Lee

In 1947, US General Marshall controversially wrote that out of every one hundred combat soldiers only fifteen to twenty-five actually fired their weapons at the enemy, because of the innate human reluctance to take another's life. Others maintained the opposite view - that soldiers enjoyed killing. David Lee demonstrates that the situation was far more complex than either of these positions, arguing that the crucial factor for a unit's success in battle was the type of training it received.

First-person accounts of close-quarter fighting. I got the hardback used. A good read.

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:38 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Have just finished "Generation Kill" by Evan Wright - helped me to understand alot of unlogical things in the series.

Now reading "The Pacific" by Hugh Ambrose, the book, that the series were based on, feutures 2 more personal stories and alot of details, which were not included in the series.

kawasaky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:53 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Isaac Deutscher: Stalin: a Political Biography
Although the first copyright dates back to 1949 this book is still one of the corner stones in studying both, Stalin and soviet communism.

wickedakuba

Rep: 5.5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:57 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

iam reading a book by Joe Abercrombie called the blade itself, part of a trilogy pretty good so far. not a war book though but just finished beyond the beachhead by Joseph Balkoski which was a good read.

MajorFrank

Rep: 41.8
votes: 6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:31 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):
Have just finished "Generation Kill" by Evan Wright - helped me to understand alot of unlogical things in the series.

Now reading "The Pacific" by Hugh Ambrose, the book, that the series were based on, feutures 2 more personal stories and alot of details, which were not included in the series.

Might want to read With the old breed by E.B. Sledge and Helmet for my pillow by R. Leckie. Good books both.

arkturas

Rep: 8.5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:03 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

If anyone fancies a short read - something to fit on a few train or bus trips to work try - Andy Mcnab's 'Last night another soldier' it was an excellent read - all be it very short. Currently i'm reading '3 Commando Brigade' by Ewen Southby-Tailyour which i'd also reccomend - its covers some of the operations by 3 Commando in Afghanistan.

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:57 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

arkturas wrote (View Post):
If anyone fancies a short read - something to fit on a few train or bus trips to work try - Andy Mcnab's 'Last night another soldier' it was an excellent read - all be it very short. Currently i'm reading '3 Commando Brigade' by Ewen Southby-Tailyour which i'd also reccomend - its covers some of the operations by 3 Commando in Afghanistan.

What dates does the 3 Commando book cover? When I was in Afghanistan we did some operations with the Royal Marine Commandos.... Thats the same Regiment right?

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:56 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Right now reading An Army at Dawn - The War in North Africa, 1942-1943 by Rick Atkinson. If it's any good I might get his other book The Day of Battle - The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944. It's supposed to be a trilogy with the final not yet published part covering the Normandy stuff and war in Europe.

Panzermayer

Rep: 12

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:32 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Currently reading the following:

War Without Garlands: Barbarossa 1941/42. http://www.amazon.com/War-Without-Garlands-Barbarossa-1941/dp/1885119712
&
The Tragedy of the Faithful: 3rd SS Panzer Korps. http://www.amazon.com/Tragedy-Faithful-3rd-Panzer-Korps/dp/0921991614

Just finished:

The Art of War.
&
The Fotgotten Soldier

arkturas

Rep: 8.5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:48 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Quote:
What dates does the 3 Commando book cover? When I was in Afghanistan we did some operations with the Royal Marine Commandos.... Thats the same Regiment right?

Some of the operations I have covered in the book run between 2006 & 2007, specifically; 'Operation Baaz Tsuka, Bauxite, Clay, Glacier 4; 5, Operation Herrick 5, Kendle & Knight.

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:06 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Stocking up on the Borders going out of business bargains.  Best deal was the Osprey Warsaw '44 book for $8.  They are almost sold-out at the stores...last days.

borders.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.05 KB
 Viewed:  16312 Time(s)

borders.jpg

What will the Revolution Change? - Youth Brigade

dj

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:08 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Osprey Warsaw '44

osprey.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.36 KB
 Viewed:  16319 Time(s)

osprey.jpg

dj

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:24 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Wow...it looks like I have plenty of books to read for a while thanks to the Borders blow-out.  Got the last few remaining Osprey's for only $2 each.  One book not shown in photo is Beacons in the Night...with recent declassified story of OSS (pre-CIA) operations in Yugoslavia to assist partisan uprisings against the German.

borders.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.33 KB
 Viewed:  16292 Time(s)

borders.jpg

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:23 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Nice haul dj.

Right now reading Easy Company Soldier by Donald Malarkey. Written after the Band of Brothers tv-series. Still good though.

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:05 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
Just ordered from Amazon...

"If You Survive" by George Wilson

"Penalty Strike: The Memoirs Of A Red Army Penal Company Commander" by Alexander Pyl'cyn

"Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in World War II " by Belton Y. Cooper

$37.18 with tax and shipping incl, not bad.

Finished Penalty Strike. It was a good easy read. It was nice to read about the personalities in the chain of command. Descriptions of combat were quite well also. I would recommend to anyone here.

If You Survive. Excellent combat! I lost this book in a hotel, was very dissapointed. Was like watching a good movie and the power going out. Definetly buying this one again from Amazon.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:51 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Reading Matterhorn, a novel about a young second Lt in the marines on his first tour in Vietnam. A compelling read written by a Vet that places you the reader very uncomfortably right in the middle of a place that nobody in their right mind would wish to be.

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:32 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Ernst Jünger - Storm of Steel

I'm more and more fascinated with WWI.

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

kawasaky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:10 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Simon Sebag Montefiore, Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar

Excellent book that contains some recently declassified data, as well as an original perspective of already known stuff. In my opinion Montefiore's two books about Stalin and Deutscher's Stalin political biography make an awesome combination.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to: