Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
 Author
papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:26 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

kawasaky wrote (View Post):
Simon Sebag Montefiore, Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar

Excellent book that contains some recently declassified data, as well as an original perspective of already known stuff. In my opinion Montefiore's two books about Stalin and Deutscher's Stalin political biography make an awesome combination.

Yes an excellent book. Makes you feel paranoid just reading it.

MajorFrank

Rep: 41.8
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:51 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

papa_whisky wrote (View Post):
Reading Matterhorn, a novel about a young second Lt in the marines on his first tour in Vietnam. A compelling read written by a Vet that places you the reader very uncomfortably right in the middle of a place that nobody in their right mind would wish to be.

Browsed this at the bookstore, seems interesting. I just can't at least yet shell out the money for what is in reality a fictional book. Although the author was in the war etc. so much is based on reality. Might get it from a discount later on.

Waiting the arrival in mail of the last two Donald Burgett books, Road to Arnhem and Beyond the Rhine. Hopefully these will be as good as the two books by D. Burgett I've already read.

papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:37 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

[quote="MajorFrank";p="61428"]
papa_whisky wrote (View Post):
I just can't at least yet shell out the money for what is in reality a fictional book. Although the author was in the war etc. so much is based on reality.

The fact that its fictional is not really an issue from my point of view. It is an 'eyewitness-fictional account' that has depth and detail that anyone with an interest in that war probably makes it a must read. I think I obtained a lot of understanding from it. But sure there is time to wait for a discount or a birthday Smile

Panzermayer

Rep: 12

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:34 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

dj wrote (View Post):
Wow...it looks like I have plenty of books to read for a while thanks to the Borders blow-out.  Got the last few remaining Osprey's for only $2 each.  One book not shown in photo is Beacons in the Night...with recent declassified story of OSS (pre-CIA) operations in Yugoslavia to assist partisan uprisings against the German.

Nice collection you have there. I was wondering if 'For Europe' is a good read?

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:20 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

The book of the Russian historian (he is the main expert on Kursk nowadays in Russia) about battle of Kursk. Have read three volumes in Russian, highly detailed and alot of archive material for both sides:

http://www.amazon.fr/Demolishing-Myth-Prokhorovka-Operational-Narrative/dp/1906033897/ref=sr_1_19?s=english-books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317038916&sr=1-19

Highly recommended for everyone!

kawasaky

Rep: 22.2
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:25 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):
The book of the Russian historian (he is the main expert on Kursk nowadays in Russia) about battle of Kursk. Have read three volumes in Russian, highly detailed and alot of archive material for both sides:

http://www.amazon.fr/Demolishing-Myth-Prokhorovka-Operational-Narrative/dp/1906033897/ref=sr_1_19?s=english-books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317038916&sr=1-19

Does in introduce anything new in regard of Glantz's and Newton's works?

Dima

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:33 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Glantz Kursk is outdated.
Newton shows Kursk only from the German side.
Zamulin shows Kursk from the Russian side mainly, but using references from Newton and Zetterling regarding the German side.
Cheers Wink.

kawasaky

Rep: 22.2
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:49 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

I remember that when I read Glantz back in 2000 it was a very good read, but I'll take your word that it is outdated because I haven't read anything about that battle since 2003 or 04.

So, it's worth spending some money I guess(?).

Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:11 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

I just bought some literature.  Very Happy

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Dima

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:47 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Quote:
So, it's worth spending some money I guess(?).

if you are interested in Kursk southern salient, than it is a must to spend some money Wink.
would not recommend it if it didn't worth spending money Smile

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:47 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):

I am curious about Kursk...seems like a good revisit.  Both sides account of the facts seem lost in history due to the aggressive political pressure of Boss Stalin and Josef Goebels whom scrubbed the facts to make it seem like the Germans won every battle.   It's good there are some fresh new sources without hidden agendas.

What will the Revolution Change? - Youth Brigade

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:00 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Panzermayer wrote (View Post):
dj wrote (View Post):
Wow...it looks like I have plenty of books to read for a while thanks to the Borders blow-out.  Got the last few remaining Osprey's for only $2 each.  One book not shown in photo is Beacons in the Night...with recent declassified story of OSS (pre-CIA) operations in Yugoslavia to assist partisan uprisings against the German.

Nice collection you have there. I was wondering if 'For Europe' is a good read?

Haven't started yet, still finishing-up book about the financial meltdown of 2008 by Michael Lewis called The Big Short.  

For Europe is over 500 pages and seems very throughly researched and presented.  Robert Forbes chronicles the last days of the "Charlemagne" division of French volunteers.  Amazing that they held-out all the way to the end.

What will the Revolution Change? - Youth Brigade

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:36 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

dj wrote (View Post):
Dima wrote (View Post):

I am curious about Kursk...seems like a good revisit.  Both sides account of the facts seem lost in history due to the aggressive political pressure of Boss Stalin and Josef Goebels whom scrubbed the facts to make it seem like the Germans won every battle.   It's good there are some fresh new sources without hidden agendas.

Just to comment on this, there is so much potential stuff for serious historians to look at in the eastern front of WW2. A lot of what East German and Soviet historians studied was dismissed in the west as propaganda during the Cold War although I would say that much of the raw data collected by eastern block historians was actually either true or very close to truth.

The scale of the war was just bigger on the eastern front and there was a lot of cruelty towards the civilian population that should warrant closer neutral historical study. I'm sure there are still people alive who witnessed many horrible things during WW2 in the eastern front.

I hope that the eastern front gets a 'big historical treatment' in the future.

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:30 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

MajorFrank wrote (View Post):
Right now reading An Army at Dawn - The War in North Africa, 1942-1943 by Rick Atkinson. If it's any good I might get his other book The Day of Battle - The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944. It's supposed to be a trilogy with the final not yet published part covering the Normandy stuff and war in Europe.

Recently finished this, I had it as a kind of night table reading. Long book, over 700 pages but an interesting read with some good maps. Not a fast read though. Reminded me a little of Stephen Ambrose's style, anecdotes and a focus on the generals and other high echelon.

Just got the Italy-book in the mail, it's as long as the Africa one.

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:05 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

"Dancing with the Dushman" by LCol Ian Hope.

This was part of the base CO's "book club." Its about Canada in Afghanistan around 2006 and 2007. Its an ok book. There are some lessons learned from his tour that can be used in most any conflict. There are people in the book I used to work with so it make it interesting that way. It's kind oflike reading someone elses war story. I hear enough of those at work already though. It's still a good and fast read at 155 pages. I think maybe its a bit too early for Afghanistan books personally.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:55 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Yesterday finished reading The Road to Arnhem by Donald Burgett, it's about the Market Garden fiasco from the perspective of a 101st paratrooper. It was a good read, just like all of Burgett's books so far. Now I'm down to his final book, Beyond the Rhine, after this one I've read all his books. Highly recommended if you want a Band of Brothers - type experience (Burgett was in A company whereas BoB is about E co.).

Edit. Well I finished the last book, I've now read all of them. Very good, recommended.

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:01 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Reading now: Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden. Seems ok.

Just ordered through mail: If You Survive by George Wilson and Soldat by Siegfried Knappe. The Wilson - book was recommended by someone here in this thread and I thought I'd get it.  Smile

MF_Church

Rep: 26

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:56 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

HEAVY reading there IVAN ~ Smile  Especially on CC2 side of that ledger ;)

Good Go @ Ivan.

ok.. I have just read something that just a bite.  Not a book.  Just some tidbit on the Canadian Army of today, in memory of our Vets etc.

I'll even paste it here.  It's cool and kind of sad.  Why?  Cuz i'm a Canadian.  :)

* Pic not Shown (in) here.  
A Canadian Leopard 2 tank drives through a mountain pass in Afghanistan's Panjwaii district in February 2009.

Canada maintained an armoured force of main battle tanks after the Second World War as part of its NATO contribution to forestall a Warsaw Pact attack in Europe, acquiring Leopard 1 tanks from Germany in the 1970s.

After the fall of the Soviet Union, the Canadian military planned to phase out its heavy tanks in favour of heavily-armed, rubber-tired armoured fighting vehicles such as the LAV 3, which seemed more in tune with the peacekeeping and rapid-response roles Canada expected to undertake.

Increasingly fierce fighting in southern Afghanistan forced it to reconsider. National Defence borrowed 20 Leopard 2s from the German Bundeswehr (federal defence force) and upgraded them for better protection against IEDs and rocket-propelled grenades. It is acquiring more second-hand Leopard 2s from the Netherlands. The 62-tonne Leopards sport a 120-mm main gun, two machine guns and can reach speeds of 70 km/h.

Pics / Images here @  http://www.bing.com/images?FORM=ESLAUT&mkt=en-ca&q=Leopard+2+tank#x0y0

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:06 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Reading a book called Citizen Soldiers by Stephen Ambrose. Seems pretty good, best from Ambrose that I have so far read.

salhexe

Rep: 70.1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:47 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to: