Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Hoogley

Rep: 15.7
votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:07 am Post subject: Anybody encountered a CC/Total War: WW2 equivalent game? Reply with quote

I went looking for one without any great success.  There were a few interesting contenders; probably the nearest I've found so far was War Leaders: Clash of Nations.  I haven't gotten as far as downloading the demo, but I think I will likely be disappointed with the results.  I'll let you know.

So, since S3T are still ostensibly stuck under the thumb of the tyrannical Destineer and unable to garner financial support to modernise the game, does anybody know of a game that could slate my thirst for a CC/Total War: WWII game?  One that doesn't suck?

It has to have the following:

* 3d or sprite based is fine.  Must look at least half-decent on the graphic design front.  CC is about as low as my standards would go for sprite based (sorry Firefight), and Dawn of War would be about the base level of quality for 3D games (War Leaders looks like it's a bit below standards at first glance).

* Must have a strategic map level.  Real time or turn based movement; doesn't matter.  It can be a vast regional map with resources and building (ala Total War), or just an overview map of an operational area (ala Close Combat 4 and up).  I'm fine with either, though the second would be preferable.  Dynamic zooming would be TOPS!... but I'm fine without.  Must be able to move units like in CC5 or Total War, not any of this "move here to do this mission, or move there to do that mission" nonsense.

* A tactical level at least close to the CC engine model.  I.e, no RTS base building, realistic damage modelling for vehicles and soldiers (NO HEALTH BARS!!!!), units that at least try to act in a realistic fashion (morale, use of cover, etc).  No crazy representational mechanics like in-battle tank repairs and soldier healing or anything like that.  Top-down or 3D isometric is again fine either way (can't be too choosy) but I'd prefer top-down or 3D where you can move the camera to top-down.

* Again I stress: as realistic mechanics as is rational to expect.  More "simulation" than "arcade".  That's what I'm after.

You'd think that wouldn't be too much of an ask.. but here I am still playing Close Combat because none of these big, rich and powerful developers have a clue in Hades about games outside the big draw acronyms: RTS, FPS, MMO.

Bring back space sims too whilst your at it.  Bastards!  Evil or Very Mad  :lol:

*cough, cough*  Ahem.  So, yeah, anybody know of a contender?

"I have come here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all out of bubblegum." - They Live

Andreus

Rep: 16.8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:56 pm Post subject: Re: Anybody encountered a CC/Total War: WW2 equivalent game? Reply with quote

You got Theatre of War.
Linear campaigns though and unit handling is hell...

You know, I'm just a normal guy like everyone else. Why, my friends say, "Andreus you're just so cool because you're normal just like everyone else." Yep, normal that's me. - Fallout 2

MajorFrank

Rep: 41.8
votes: 6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:56 am Post subject: Re: Anybody encountered a CC/Total War: WW2 equivalent game? Reply with quote

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I think it's interesting how the CC - series just keep on truckin' and is still head above the rest.

Andreus,

according to the reviews that game isn't particulary good. IMO Combat Mission -series is the only real challenger for CC, or Steel Panthers -series (turn based but huge amount of battle variations).

I agree with pretty much everything Hoogley wrote. I'm a big fan of historical accuracy and it's always great to get those 'wow'-moments when playing a game when the game manages to recreate something from a historical battle.

Also, I don't like those strategy games where you move huge blocks of units and 'autocalculate' battle results, I know Total War -games and other bigger scale strategy games have this option. CC gets the battle part just right, no need to mess with that.

I know there is a long list of improvements that people would like to see in a new, good WW2 - strategy game, the 'heir' of CC. I'd like to see even more historical accuracy, more battle statistics and management of the troops and basically a true 'WW2 land army simulator'. I've come to really like the crisp top down 2D graphics of CC. Also the playability in the CC-series is about the best I've seen.

If there was a whole new game in this genre it would still take years for it to reach the amount of modding etc. that really makes CC so great. So basically, no rivals in sight.

Ejergard

Rep: 8.1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:21 pm Post subject: Re: Anybody encountered a CC/Total War: WW2 equivalent game? Reply with quote

Achtung Panzer - Kharkov 1943

I enjoy this very much

pagskier

Rep: 25

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:16 pm Post subject: Re: Anybody encountered a CC/Total War: WW2 equivalent game? Reply with quote

the new combat mission is quite good
but since the managin of the troop is so big
i don't enjoy it as much as CC

morca

Rep: 13.2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:29 pm Post subject: Re: Anybody encountered a CC/Total War: WW2 equivalent game? Reply with quote

Old thread, but this is as close to CC as I have seen
Firefight
http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/ff.html

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: