Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
 Author
kawasaky

Rep: 22.2
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:34 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Alistair Horne - The price of glory  Verdun 1916
Superbly written book. Almost as you are reading a novel...
I recommend it.

MajorFrank

Rep: 41.8
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:46 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

MajorFrank wrote (View Post):

Just ordered through mail: If You Survive by George Wilson and Soldat by Siegfried Knappe. The Wilson - book was recommended by someone here in this thread and I thought I'd get it.  Smile

Finally got these, started reading If You Survive, seems very good, action packed but also well written. Knappe's book seems good too, and long, 430 pages with good pics.

Am already looking for more to read, I'm kind of shifting my interest to the Vietnam war. I'm interested in the MACV SOG and the LRRP's and the other 'silent warriors'. Also interested in the Vietnamese perspective.

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:02 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Currently reading Deep Survival. Another book thats part of the CO's book club here on base. Not very far in, but it started with a WW2 story so I pretty interested already.

http://www.deepsurvival.com/

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

dgfred

Rep: 63.1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:19 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Hey Mooxe, good to see you.

Homba at TH is trying to contact you too.  Wink

Sports Freak/ CC Commander/ Panzerblitz Commander

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:41 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Just ordered through mail: If You Survive by George Wilson and Soldat by Siegfried Knappe. The Wilson - book was recommended by someone here in this thread and I thought I'd get it.  Smile

Finally got these, started reading If You Survive, seems very good, action packed but also well written. Knappe's book seems good too, and long, 430 pages with good pics.

Am already looking for more to read, I'm kind of shifting my interest to the Vietnam war. I'm interested in the MACV SOG and the LRRP's and the other 'silent warriors'. Also interested in the Vietnamese perspective.

Finished "If You Survive". Very good story from the perspective of 'stock' infantry officer in WW2. Very 'close combat' - style in the way that the terrain is described in detail before the battles.

Haven't yet started reading "Soldat" by Knappe. Ordered two more books, "SOG - The Secret Wars of America's Commandoes In Vietnam" by John Plaster and "Recondo" by Larry Chambers. Started reading SOG, seems interesting although probably not very academically reliable.

Also I've been reading a non-war related book, "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote.

Hostilian

Rep: 47.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:38 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Pleasantly surprised that these forums are still up and running. It's been a while since my last visit.  ;)

Anyway, on topic; unfortunately study books just now....  :(

Still, I've got to share my favourite WW2 book. The Guns of War (actually 2 books in one - The Guns of Normandy and The Guns of Victory) by George G Blackburn..
Bargain - Amazon link

#H

Last edited by Hostilian on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

kawasaky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:58 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Just finished Max Hastings' "All Hell Let Loose".
Great read. It covers the 1939-45 period, so most of it is well known to the ww2 buffs, but Hastings provides, as usual, some good arguments, some [fact based] revision, top-down analysis and bottom-up personal accounts.

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:21 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Ok I got another one, called "Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption" by Laura Hillenbrand.

There is more to this story then just WW2 - stuff, it's about Louis Zamperini who was also a significant athlete and competed in the Berlin olympics.

Panzermayer

Rep: 12

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:34 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Tragedy of the Faithful - Wilhelm Tielke
Panzer Commander - Hans von Luck
Soldat - Siegfried Knappe
The Forgotten Soldier - Guy Sajer

I find Soldat the most entertaining, great account of pre-ww2, ww2 and post-ww2.

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:16 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Panzermayer wrote (View Post):
Tragedy of the Faithful - Wilhelm Tielke
Panzer Commander - Hans von Luck
Soldat - Siegfried Knappe
The Forgotten Soldier - Guy Sajer

I find Soldat the most entertaining, great account of pre-ww2, ww2 and post-ww2.

Good to heat that, I still have Soldat waiting to be read in the shelf.  Smile

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:00 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Reading "Battle of the Reichswald" by Peter Elstob. Makes sense doesn't it  Wink  Reading it in Dutch.
Other books on the reading list for the Rhineland mod:
"The Rhineland 1945" by Osprey. Finished it this week. Basically no more than an introduction to the campaign.
"Der Zweite Weltkrieg Zwischen Rhein und Maas" by Heinz Bosch.
And there will be much more I reckon.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

kawasaky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:45 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Two books by sir F. Kitson, very important for understanding terror tactics used lately by the NATO and their Arab puppets throughout the Maghreb countries and Syria, as well as some British criminal undertakings during the decolonization in 1960s-70s:

Frank Kitson - Low Intensity Operations http://libcom.org/library/low-intensity-operations-subversion-insurgency-peacekeeping

Frank Kitson - Gangs and Counter-gangs http://www.bilderberg-mirror.org.uk/countergangs.pdf

AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:31 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Just reading Otto Skorzeny memoars.

This is really a good book.

One gets a close view of his carrier in Waffen SS. He describes the French campaign, and the Russian campaign, meeting with Hitler etc..

Recommended.

kawasaky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:32 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

AT_Stalky wrote (View Post):
Just reading Otto Skorzeny memoars.

This is really a good book.

One gets a close view of his carrier in Waffen SS. He describes the French campaign, and the Russian campaign, meeting with Hitler etc..

Recommended.

Just to add, you need to max up your bullshit filters while reading it.

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:49 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

AT_Stalky,

do you mean a book called "Commando Extraordinary Otto Skorzeny" by Charles Foley? I have that and I've read it, was pretty good. Wasn't much in it about Skorzeny's time in the eastern front though.

Me, I recently finished a book called The Good Soldiers by David Finkel. Pretty gruesome book about the troop surge in Iraq 2007-2008.
A review.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/books/review/Stanton-t.html?pagewanted=all

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:53 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Hi

Have read some 120 pages or so, he’s in Italy by now, just before the Mussolini event.. Haven’t seen any BS so far, maybe that part is in the next chapter?..  

MF, this is Otto’s own memoirs. In this book he takes us through his early life in a few chapter, and the detailed story’s starts when WW2 starts. He covers his experience of Barbarossa in rather good details.

/S

kawasaky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:22 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Stalky, what is the book title exactly?

Is it "Secret Missions"?
As I understand in some languages it was titled "Secret Memoirs".

IF that is the book you're talking about than: the part about Yugoslavia is more-less rubbish; the part about 20 July plot, and his role in it, is wildly exaggerated.
I think I've found some odd stuff about the Ardennes offensive as well, but will have to dig out the book to verify that

Bungarra

Rep: 137.3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:44 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

This is the book review site of Military History on the Web.

http://www.historyofwar.org/new_books.html

The whole site is worth a look

You know if you don't live it.... You can't give it.

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:50 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Its Ottos own memoirs from 1950, original title "Geheimkommando Skorzeny". In Swedish something completely different though..

You name BS in the part about Yugoslavia, (I know very lill about the fights down there).

Otto describes the three times he was in Yugoslavia, first in 1941. Its most anecdotes talking to the people and noticing the split between Bostonian and the Serbs. He’s a technical officer and is thus not a fighting man, and the only time he fined him self in "contact" with the “enemy” is when his 2 tractors are probing the roads after a Yugoslavian redraw, and they come to a village and there are some 50 or 80 men with 3 officers that lay down there weapon to them.. No drama or heroism at all, no dead no vounded nothing, some warning shots was fired though.

The second time he’s there, he just noticed the partisans was strong and controlled much.

So, what was BS here?

/S
(edit: he wasnt there a third time, as I previously wrote)

Last edited by AT_Stalky on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:06 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Yeah, read Skorzeny many years ago as well - nice adventure novel, but would not take it as a source Wink.
Anyway Sajer's memoirs are same crappy fact-wise but still is a good read.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to: