Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1212
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:24 pm Post subject: Achtung Panzer - Operation Star Reply with quote

Matrix is now selling Achtung Panzer - Operation star by Graviteam Sims, anyone played this game?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1047&p=&tmode=1&smode=1

It's almost like cheating on CC but I might pick it up to play when taking a break from Close Combat. The strat layer looks very interesting and the 3D graphics when in battle are a change from the CC's top down.....

Here is a quick overview with some screenshots;

http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.ca/2012/01/achtung-panzer-operation-star-quick.html

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:49 pm Post subject: Re: Achtung Panzer - Operation Star Reply with quote

This is like the continuation of Achtüng Panzer: Kharkov 1943 right?

I've read this has much improved play and A.I. than AP:K 1943 but don't know if it's the same time frame. Still the same complaints about UI though.

For me it looks awesome, I actually purchased the first but still can't play it because I need a new computer.

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:05 pm Post subject: Re: Achtung Panzer - Operation Star Reply with quote

Bought the original version cheap a year or more ago and uninstalled it the same day.  The UI was the biggest heap of guano I've seen

Tejszd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:10 am Post subject: Re: Achtung Panzer - Operation Star Reply with quote

Broke down and got it.

Yes it is a follow up product to Achtüng Panzer: Kharkov 1943. The UI can be tough but they have tried to make it simpler by having tooltips appear when you hover over an icon or after selecting a unit you can press space to get a list of commands for the selected unit. After about 5 hours I think I've got most of the basic actions/commands down....

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:07 pm Post subject: Re: Achtung Panzer - Operation Star Reply with quote

Post some screens Tejszd

Tejszd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:17 am Post subject: Re: Achtung Panzer - Operation Star Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the strat layer for the 1st operation on the 2nd turn showing'
- allied troops are shown but can not be controlled (lower left)
- battles that needs to be resolved (the flame)
- key locations on the map are key locations (the dots)
- map ownership (shaded red for friendly and blue for enemy)
- strat moves (dotted and solid lines) of the 1st and 2nd turns
- supply lines (green dotted lines without arrows for Germans) in the town. Playing as the Germans so no Russian supply lines are shown.

APOS Strat Layer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  323.09 KB
 Viewed:  11824 Time(s)

APOS Strat Layer.jpg

Tejszd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:22 am Post subject: Re: Achtung Panzer - Operation Star Reply with quote

It is a full 3D environment. Here it is zoomed out fully top down;

APOS Zoomed Out.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.86 KB
 Viewed:  11819 Time(s)

APOS Zoomed Out.jpg

Tejszd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:25 am Post subject: Re: Achtung Panzer - Operation Star Reply with quote

Same view zoomed in on 2 tanks as I'm doing pre battle orders;

APOS Zoomed In.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  179.5 KB
 Viewed:  11813 Time(s)

APOS Zoomed In.jpg

Tejszd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:33 am Post subject: Re: Achtung Panzer - Operation Star Reply with quote

German Gun & Crew

APOS Gun.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.63 KB
 Viewed:  11807 Time(s)

APOS Gun.jpg

Tejszd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:34 am Post subject: Re: Achtung Panzer - Operation Star Reply with quote

Destroyed Russian light tank.

Note: the tank tracks are added as vehicles move

APOS Burning Tank.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.1 KB
 Viewed:  11802 Time(s)

APOS Burning Tank.jpg

MF_Church

Rep: 26

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:21 pm Post subject: Re: Achtung Panzer - Operation Star Reply with quote

Thank you.  Has that feel / look of COMBAT Mission.

Utube of CM

@  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieU3q3j8zmY

I like how walls of bldgs. turn 'see thru' when your men fight *

Also really like the in-game radio BackGround vocals.  Very Happy !

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:50 am Post subject: Re: Achtung Panzer - Operation Star Reply with quote

Those screens Look great Tejszd. What are your machine specs?

Tejszd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:31 pm Post subject: Re: Achtung Panzer - Operation Star Reply with quote

My PC is pretty good;

CPU: AMD 6 core 3.2 Ghz with 8Gb of ram
Video: Nvidia GeForce Gts250 at 1920x1200

Both areas can be surpassed with newer items but the cost shoots up.

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:12 pm Post subject: Re: Achtung Panzer - Operation Star Reply with quote

Well I finally could play AP, not this one but the first Achtüng Panzer: Kharkov 1943.

I must say I did get overwhelmed at first with all the strange icons and the bizarre disposition of them, none the less, by the second day I was fighting custom battles and by the third day I managed to win my first!

I think the difference on the way you control your troops is what puts off some people because in this game you don't give exact orders, you give the squad a general order and they execute, for example you can order them to move to a location and take cover, but they will know if they enter the houses (if there's any) or hit the floor, you can't "lock" enemy units to fire specifically at them, you give area fire orders, fire arcs, priority of targets and then they decide what to shoot at.

The camera controls are a bit odd at first but that's something that practice takes care of. Soon you'll be jumping from one unit to the next one seeing the enemy or terrain from their view, using the binoculars to get that feeling of being there on the battlefield.

One thing I didn't not understand quite well was artillery, some commanders had this option that said 6x30, I assumed it was six guns with each having 30 rounds, but when I used it the rounds seemed sporadic and not as concentrated, not much of an artillery barrage. It did caused much damage to the empty terrain and houses though.

The things I missed from CC, was the detailed description of the squad/Vehicle, I wanted to know their last names, what weapons they were using, what mental state they were in etc.

Pause is essential in this game opposed to CC, because the scope is bigger and sometimes you're commanding several BG worth of men on the same battle.

Also missing was a replay button to see the battle unfold like a movie once its finished and jump to different angles, that would have been awesome.

I most certainly will get AP:OS to get an improved game. As I understand they are basically the same game, same setting, units etc, but improved gameplay.

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:51 am Post subject: Re: Achtung Panzer - Operation Star Reply with quote

Some screens from AP:K1943

shot_2012_05_16_18_30_54_0008.jpg
 Description:
Aftermath of Air attack
 Filesize:  310.04 KB
 Viewed:  11697 Time(s)

shot_2012_05_16_18_30_54_0008.jpg

shot_2012_05_16_18_30_03_0004.jpg
 Description:
Jabo!
 Filesize:  211.05 KB

shot_2012_05_16_18_30_03_0004.jpg

shot_2012_05_16_11_13_10_0001.jpg
 Description:
T34 burning at night
 Filesize:  260.67 KB

shot_2012_05_16_11_13_10_0001.jpg

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:34 pm Post subject: Re: Achtung Panzer - Operation Star Reply with quote

What can you say about moddability?

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: