Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1213
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Buck_Compton

Rep: 64.6
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:20 am Post subject: Hochwald Maps Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

the interface has generally been done. I just need some work on the stratmap screen but that isn't in much of a hury. So I decided to give things a go for the new Rhineland Maps.

My first issue was which textures should I use? In my opinion sticking tight to the stock textures wasn't really and option. I also didn't like most of the textures used in LSA so I chose to go with something 'new' I've been working on maps for PT's Ortona mod. He has his maps mainly based on textures from Dodam. So I gave it a go using Dodams texture's.

I've made a map just to try out certain things as you can see. After discussing certain elements of these maps I came to conclusion which ones I was to use and I got to work.

One of the maps I found rather interesting is the battlefield of the Hochwald. I've chose to dedicate about 5 maps to this region, which is quite a lot I guess.

Ok the first steps are done quite easily. Certain things remain the same. Like how to paint roads buildings and forest ground etc. Next issue would be how to create depth in to the map. I could choose to paint it on to the map. But that never looks realistic. I had a discussion with Jim about that issue and he suggested modo to me. After a couple of hints on his part i set my self to it:

After adding the height layer I ran in to trouble:

As you guys might be able to see the map has a lot of rinkles in it. I got some help on a modo forum. Which resulted in the following.

Next step would be to to take this result and put it in as a layer in the actual psd and get to work with the defences the forest the roads railroad the small town etc etc. I'd guess another week or so and these maps should be close to a more definite form.

CHeers Buck

If you are short of everything but enemy, you are in the combat zone.

CC_CO

Rep: 32.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:51 am Post subject: Re: Hochwald Maps Reply with quote

Looks really cool. Is there a special program you use for making these maps?

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:56 am Post subject: Re: Hochwald Maps Reply with quote

I still think the hills look the same to me.
Seems as if almost every hill depicted in CC comes to a sharp point when people use shading to depict hills.

I find it to be somewhat unrealistic.

Just my 2 cents,It's not intended to be negative.

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:55 pm Post subject: Re: Hochwald Maps Reply with quote

Hey Michael,

It has been a while ago! Yes I believe those hills are the hardest thing to paint in a map. But if i had to choose between fooling around with a bevel and emboss layers, a black or white painted layer or this 3d technique I'm choosing most definitly for this one! It took me about 15 minutes to realize this.

Cheers Buck

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:13 am Post subject: Re: Hochwald Maps Reply with quote

yep hills are a bitch

this is what I tried for the Meuse mod on the stonne map   Added definition by adding a stone/rubble layer around the summit and defined where rain has eroded small gulleys.  far from perfect but it's another idea

hills.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  241.38 KB
 Viewed:  9451 Time(s)

hills.jpg

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:28 am Post subject: Re: Hochwald Maps Reply with quote

I've only made one map and I didn't like the hills I did.
I thought I got lucky in a few areas but I don't remember how I did it now.

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:33 pm Post subject: Re: Hochwald Maps Reply with quote

Hey Michael,

I'm not familiar with painting snow maps! But that small stream looks quite ok to me. It's always a hard thing to paint a decent hill. I know the burning tool also works quite ok.

@SL That hill looks quite ok to me!

Cheers Buck

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:24 pm Post subject: Re: Hochwald Maps Reply with quote

Thank-you.

That part of the map was from an original CCIV map I copy/cut and pasted,as was the plane crash. Laughing

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:37 am Post subject: Re: Hochwald Maps Reply with quote

You're welcome! I've never really painted Snow maps but to create a lighter side would be pretty hard if the texture is allready white! Those craters are based on Dodam's tutorials?

I could advice you, if you ever plan to make new maps, to use Dodams texture's they are awesome!

Cheers Buck

Buck_Compton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:26 am Post subject: Re: Hochwald Maps Reply with quote

Ok I have been buys for quite a while now. Been trying and trying especially with the layer which would create the depth in to the map. It's basically done it might need some extra detailing. You guys might have noticed that I have removed 1 map this was done after some discussion about which parts of the operations should be included and which not I will post separately which maps have been chose at this moment. Hope you guys like this one! I have allready started a set of new maps.

Cheers Buck

[img]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/585/hochwaldmaps.jpg/[/img]

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:09 pm Post subject: Re: Hochwald Maps Reply with quote

CC_CO wrote (View Post):
Is there a special program you use for making these maps?

Unfortunately maps have to be drawn freehand.

:(

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Mods by Buck and Pete -> Rhineland '45

Jump to: