Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1180
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
lifer

Rep: 3.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:32 am Post subject: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

The 'Nam mod is something I've played and tinkered with ever since it was released. A few weeks of unemployment has given me some time to progress my ideas of how to develop the mod further. In particular, I want to focus on a specific unit (as in Grossdeutschland) and restrict the campaign to a specific area of responsibility. With that in mind, I've been working on a submod featuring the Third Marine Amphibious Force in the I corps tactical area.

I say "submod" but it's actually more a total conversion.
The plan is for the mod to include new maps, new screens, new sounds, a new campaign, new units and new graphics. So pretty much a new game...

Progress so far has been mostly on the conceptual side but some concrete gains have been made.

The interface changes are 80% done. Just a few buttons  left to fix.

Weapon sounds have been sourced but yet to be integrated.

Research on unit composition is continuing but presently consists of about 50 mostly new USMC & NVA/VC teams. The emphasis will be mostly on infantry combat but some of the main vehicles will be included (ie LVT-5, M-48, Ontos, etc).

There will hopefully be 28 new maps. At present there is only one. This is the most painstaking aspect of modding and will consume the most time. Currently it's taking about three days to get the map completed and coded but this should get quicker as I produce more.

I'm hoping to add some new effect graphics in the form of air strikes. I seem to remember some work being done previously on a napalm effect but I'm not sure that came to much...

Operations are listed below and encompass the period from 1965 to 1969.

1 apr 65 danang patrols http://ehistory.osu.edu/osu/books/1965/index.cfm?page=0028

2 aug 65 starlite http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Starlite

3 dec 65 harvest moon http://www.marzone.com/7thMarines/Hst0103.htm

4 jan-feb 66 double eagle http://www.3onevet.com/doubleeaglephase2.htm

5 jul-aug 66 hastings http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Hastings

6 Aug 66-Jan 67 Prairie I http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Prairie

7 Feb-Mar 67 Prairie II http://www.vietnamgear.com/Article.aspx?Art=57

8 Apr-May 67 Prairie IV
9 apr-jun 67 union i & ii http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Union

10 jul-oct 67 kingfisher http://thundering-third.org/4members/OpKingfisher29.html

11 nov 67-mar 68 scotland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khe_Sanh

12 jan-feb 68 tet! hue city http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hu%E1%BA%BF

13 jan-feb 68 hue city http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hu%E1%BA%BF

14 apr 68 pegasus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khe_Sanh

15 may-oct 68 mameluke thrust
16 jan-mar 69 dewey canyon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Dewey_Canyon

Nods to Tombstone and everyone else who have kept the original 'Nam mod alive.

Comments, criticism, offers of assistance are greatly appreciated...

screenshot.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  314.56 KB
 Viewed:  14898 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

main.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  121.3 KB

main.jpg

splash.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.41 KB

splash.jpg

diggin.robat

Rep: 39.7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:23 am Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

Wow! Great project. Hope you don´t get overpowered by map making!

GW modding team
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:37 pm Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

IMPRESSIVE! Shocked  Shocked

I hope to soon be able to play this "NAM MOD"

BRAVO!

can you put some more pictures???

heia Safari!!

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:51 pm Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

Very cool

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:48 am Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

Good News.

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:36 pm Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

Looks great, that map looks amazing.

On the Napalm effect, isn't that included in the latest nam revision? Some command units could call in napalm strikes which in game looks like several big explosions together but I don't know if there could be an improvement, what do you have in mind?

DAK_Legion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:51 pm Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

Bel was an effect of napalm for CCMT Korea based in attack strike and is represented as a great and long flash of flame thrower.

heia Safari!!

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:07 pm Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

DAK_Legion wrote (View Post):
Bel was an effect of napalm for CCMT Korea based in attack strike and is represented as a great and long flash of flame thrower.

I would like to see a picture of that!

DAK_Legion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:46 pm Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

Here the Napalm Effect for CCMT-Korea!

UO0033.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  212.37 KB
 Viewed:  14823 Time(s)

UO0033.jpg

UO0034.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  212.4 KB

UO0034.jpg

UO0035.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  212.53 KB

UO0035.jpg

UO0036.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  211.97 KB

UO0036.jpg

UO0037.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  212.11 KB

UO0037.jpg

UO0038.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  211.83 KB

UO0038.jpg

UO0039.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  210.93 KB

UO0039.jpg

heia Safari!!

lifer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:48 am Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

Firstly I'll say thanks for the compliments. It's a helluva lot easy to work on something like this knowing it will be appreciated.

Secondly, I'm sorry to say I can't put up any more pics at this time. I'm unfortunately limited to a crappy iPhone 3G connection that I can't sync with my pc. Will try to rectify this ASAP.

Thirdly, thanks for posting the pics of the napalm effect. I have experimented with equipping a team with a flame thrower then increasing its range and accomplished something similar. The end result is correct (the bad guys burn) but I'm not sure the effect looks right. I will be trying something more along the lines of the original Nam mod effect but tweaking the graphics to look a bit more like a massive ball of flame. Oh, and with a plane graphic too, of course.

Pending properly getting my pc back on line, I will spend some of this weekend getting a list of teams together to post here, assuming I get some time off from the obligatory child care and social responsibilities...

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:05 pm Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

Can the flamethrower weapon be assigned to a plane? how would it look like? I think having the napalm strike as an oversized flamethrower on a soldier doesn't look quite right, I prefer the old method of the big explosion.

DAK_Legion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:45 am Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

maybe lifer can apply the method.........

Planes for CC3

First Airplane and then NAPALM;)

planesincc3.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  planesincc3.zip
 Filesize:  182.94 KB
 Downloaded:  390 Time(s)

heia Safari!!

lifer

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:25 am Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

Well, after spending the last three hours working on getting some plane graphics into the game, I'm sorry (and frustrated) to report zero progress. Completed the requisite 32 bit tgas with alpha channel in photoshop, numbered correctly, repacked with no problems, copied and pasted the vfx file back to the game. Adjusted the weapons data file appropriately and... nothing. No explosion effect and no plane. And no idea why this isn't working.

Any advice on this issue is greatly appreciated!

Have attached the plane tga I'm using here and a gif representing the explosion.

phantom1 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.45 KB
 Viewed:  14756 Time(s)

phantom1 copy.jpg

explosion.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.95 KB
 Viewed:  14756 Time(s)

explosion.gif

lifer

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:41 am Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

...in other news...

The map count is now up to two - attached here. Please note, these are works in progress while I'm still working out what I like and what works. The textures are pretty much all original except the trees, but I'm hoping to make some of these too.

I've also attached a screenshot of the forces screen to give an idea of some of the teams available. Still working on a consistent naming protocol that works so might be a while before these are properly done too. I'd also like to rework the icon graphics. I'm considering nato symbols and soldier silhouettes (ala TLD, LSA, etc) but am open to suggestions.

forces.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  203.84 KB
 Viewed:  14745 Time(s)

forces.jpg

map-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  312.44 KB

map-2.jpg

map-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  324.9 KB

map-1.jpg

lifer

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:01 am Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

Further to the above, I'm now getting a new error message when trying to use the new explosion file. Strangely, it seems the game allows a couple of rounds to go through and then it freezes.

error.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  230.86 KB
 Viewed:  14739 Time(s)

error.jpg

DAK_Legion

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:11 pm Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

Welcome to the Club Lifer;)

I've been working about a month for change the Mirage III of CCIII Valley of Tears in a F-18

Progress FAILED:(

The only thing I can say is.....No WHITE...perhaps GRAY in the PHANTOM pic for the background image.

has tried to change the VFX.zfx of CCIII Valley of Tears???maybe you have better results.

Good work for Maps!

Thanks

heia Safari!!

Last edited by DAK_Legion on Tue May 08, 2012 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

lifer

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:56 am Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

Thanks DAK. Only been in the club one day and this has already got me pulling my hair out.

Take your point re: use of white in the aircraft pic but only a very small amount of it is actually pure white (255). Assuming everything else is correct, there should be something showing up in the game. I'm now wondering if the images should be compressed or not. Will try this and report my findings.

If that fails I guess I'll either give up or start praying to the god of close combat...

CSO_Talorgan

Rep: 72.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:09 pm Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

Don't know if this is any help but when I was modding CCV pure white (255, 255, 255) caused strange effects. Very pale grey (245, 245, 245) on the other hand worked fine.

A woman's eyes would probably discern the difference but ours won't.

DAK_Legion

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:37 pm Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

That may be helpful Wink

THANKS!

heia Safari!!

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:36 pm Post subject: Re: Coming soon: Vietnam submod for COI Reply with quote

Any new news Lifer?  Cool

nam.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.26 KB
 Viewed:  341 Time(s)

nam.jpg

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Modding Workshop
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: