Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Author
Pzt_Kevin_dtn

Rep: 10.9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:16 pm Post subject: CC5 vs CC3 Reply with quote

Why is there continued interest in CC3 when CC5 is available with multiple mods operating under the CC5 format. Is it strictly the interest in the eastern front? Do people feel the AI is better? Is it easier to mod?

I noticed that with Simtek working on the rerelease of CC they are concentrating on CC3. Why? Why bother with CC3? Fix the issues with CC5. Not sure if I will buy the rerelease of CC5 unless i can still use Mods AND they make major improvements/fixes to the original release.

Very interested in activity for CC6. I would have liked to have been part of beta test team but I'm far too busy with life in general (i.e. poor flexibility).

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a CC5 fan too and would have preferred they fixed 5. But CC3 does have some good points compared to CC5;

1) a bit better AI (probably more to do with the smaller maps)
2) a wide range of equipment is available as the game covers many years which allows for some neat options in that a battle/operation maker can control what is available (rarity)
3) individual squads/units can be upgraded
4) individual squads/units can be rested without losing their history
5) points allow freedom to "buy" whatever you want but will stop someone from having all tanks or veteran units or...
6) you can flee a battle
7) prearranged bombardment for a battle (setup by the battle/operation maker)

ANZAC_Tack

Rep: 22.3
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:54 am Post subject: good points Reply with quote

i decided to leave cc3 cold turkey some 3 years ago, i tried ccv demo days after release, and ccv weeks after release, 5.0 was shocking for me, not as bad as cc2/4 where, but still a poor experience. yes the sounds, graphics and maps left cc3 for dead, but within weeks ccv(smaller sometimes),graphics and sounds where in cc3 wf style mods! so when i played GJS(think v 2) i thought, shit i know this, then when v3.4 i think came out, i quit cc3 completely(played cc3 from when RR first came out,the original manual install!) won a tournament in bout 2000,and on TH no1 a few times, loved it!(cases best i could do was top 10 as i never played with great frequency online, due to real life,and wife...)

yes i dislike how u cant rest units, cant buy as you choose, ccv players are spoilt, always taking best units(except GCs/ops sometimes) points made u choose most effecient, or attacking in numbers or smaller quality units. another tactical edge, but cc3s real downfall was the GC, thats where cc2/4/5 beat cc3 hands down!

when somebody can make cc3 in ccv,now thats would be a game! i have thought about making points style in ccv, by adding numbers next to units, but its requires some honesty ;o) and would cause confusion.

sometimes i love big maps, other times 15 units is just not enough!

espree de corp

Pzt_Kevin_dtn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Its been such a long time since I last played CC3 that I forgot all about some of the features that you referenced. I don't even have CC3 installed on my PC anymore.

I've also been playing the CC5 mods for awhilel. Are people still developing mods for CC3 or has that evaporated? I guess I could check the CC3 forums huh?

Happy gaming - Its fall here in the Mid South US and its the best time of the year here.

Pzt_Kevin_dtn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:28 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

How and when did I become a Corporal? Last I saw, I was a newbie. Is it based on numbers of posts? I thought it was a H2H ladder honor thing.

Pzt_Kevin_dtn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:31 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

DAAAAUUUUUGGHHHH!!!! Who keeps drawing these stripes on my sleeve? Now I'm a Sargeant!!! Too funny Laughing

Ivan309

Rep: 0.3

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:08 pm Post subject: Re: CC5 vs CC3 Reply with quote

the thing that i disliked the most in CC3 is that in the end, whoever had more tanks wins. CC5 is focused in infantery, which in my opinion is alot more interesting and challenging than running down your opponent with tanks.

zoober

Rep: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:34 pm Post subject: Re: CC5 vs CC3 Reply with quote

How is vanilla CC5? I mean does it need some mods to be playable the way CC3 needed Real Rad or some other mods based on RR data?

ArmeeGruppeSud

Rep: 9.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:23 pm Post subject: Re: CC5 vs CC3 Reply with quote

Pzt_Kevin_dtn wrote (View Post):
Why is there continued interest in CC3 when CC5 is available with multiple mods operating under the CC5 format.  Is it strictly the interest in the eastern front?  Do people feel the AI is better?  Is it easier to mod?
Well simply because CC3 is a much much better game!

CC5 is as boring as hell.

Playing on the same maps over and over and over again zzzzzzzzzz  Rolling Eyes
Only 44 maps
You can play a whole CC5 campaign without even playing on all of them  Rolling Eyes

Rather, you might fight a dozen battles each on 2 or 3 maps  Shocked

Oh the tedium  Rolling Eyes

Then there are the tiny vehicle and soldier graphics, and no zoom aaghhh!  Surprised

Then there is the total waste of combat time stuffing around with the stupid strat map when you could actually be engaging in "CLOSE COMBAT".

If you realy want to be ahistorical and rewrite history playing on strategic maps, just play Panzer General, its much much better than CC5!

In CC5 there is virtually no soldier history, because a unit may be shot up a bit, so you put it back in force pool (where it is immediately automatically put back to full strength with no loss/liability/penalty) and when you reacquisition it, all the names are new and the original soldiers' combat histories are lost.
About the only teams that ever seem to build much statistics are mortar teams (boring).

Shocked  OMG!

How incredibly mind nummingly boring!

It was the soldier personal stats that realy got me hooked with CC1!

During a DOF CC3 H2H Campaign, one SS soldat, Schuss, began his career as a buck private during Fall Blau (early in 1942)
Eventually Schuss , after a distinguished career, including 8 promotions, met his demise on Prokhorovka Ridge as Hauptman Schuss, when his Kommand Panther was fatally struck by a bazooka rocket.
In CC5, that could never happen   Sad

Legendary CC Heroes, i will never forget their names, Schuss, Frieder, and so many other legendary sprites in my CC Campaigns

CC3 is so much easier to mod than CC5

In CC3, it is so much easier to create game balance than CC5 (because of points system_

CC3 has far fewer bugs and glitches than CC5

CC3 lends itself far better to online play than CC5

CC3 kicks CC5's ass so hard, in so many areas, realy i can't understand why people bother with CC5  Confused

As far as the complaint about CC3 being too much of an armourFest, well that is easily enough fixed

Sorry Pzt_Kevin_dtn, but i cant disagree with you more.......

CHEERS

AGS

RIP

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10576

Last edited by ArmeeGruppeSud on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total

zoober

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:21 pm Post subject: Re: CC5 vs CC3 Reply with quote

ArmeeGruppeSud wrote (View Post):

As far as the complaint about CC3 being too much of an armourFest, well that is easily enough fixed

That'd be my main complain about CC3 either and as Ivan309 aptly noticed in his post:

the thing that i disliked the most in CC3 is that in the end, whoever had more tanks wins. CC5 is focused in infantery, which in my opinion is alot more interesting and challenging than running down your opponent with tanks.

And it's not just about massive numbers of tanks in CC3 but also their ability to spot and kill infantry at almost any distance and terrain. I remember being so frustrated about these all-seeing-all-killing god almighty tanks that in the end I hardly used infantry - which really sucked and wasn't any fun for me at all.

Today I finally got my CC5 installed and played already a few battles and I'm really happy. Actually I almost run over some Germans with my M4 because I couldn't spot them:o And this is great - now having tanks doesn't mean you have to win easily. You need to be cautious and concentrated on what you're doing with them. And for me this is a big big advantage of CC5 over CC3.

But I'd be curious how that "armourFest" can be fixed in CC3 ?

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:55 pm Post subject: Re: CC5 vs CC3 Reply with quote

I share ArmeeGruppeSud's points.

CC3 has always been better than CC5.

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:10 pm Post subject: Re: CC5 vs CC3 Reply with quote

Hmmm. That would depend on if one is playing H2H, or vs the AI on which is better am thinking.

Back in the glory days.. Like when CC3 was going strong and CC4 and 5 were still new, this line was still going strong and I was also in that camp (preferred 3), but I was an ardent H2H player only at that time also and not allowing myself to fully appreciate the forcepool aspect (CC5) that was brought into CC5, not the grand campaigns that both CC5 and especially the outstanding on that 4 had brought into the mix.

The various mods, many of which are not available for 3 even.. TT's vetmod being one and then there is the newer versions of CC4/4.. TLD and WAR that outdate (so to speak) even more of the purchase only system.. **IF** one chooses to play vs the AI, rather than H2H.

The answer is not so simple for every type of player. They evolve.

PeG-WW2 Campaigns Page

ArmeeGruppeSud

Rep: 9.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:18 pm Post subject: Re: CC5 vs CC3 Reply with quote

zoober wrote (View Post):
But I'd be curious how that "armourFest" can be fixed in CC3 ?
Well, you can make an infantry mod, removing all the tanks  Wink

OR

Lower the Requisition Point allowances to minimise the amount of AFVs affordable
My main H2H buddy and i played a 14 Operation DOF Campaign in which we used the default DOF campaign operations for playing AI which had a low RP allowance.

It was a very infantry orientated campaign.

Was unable to find the final Campaign Debrief Screen, but i think after more than 200 battles/days of fighting, there were only about 125 tanks destroyed in the combined German/Russians losses

Attached is a Campaign Debrief Screen from near the end of that Campaign

Please also note that, just like in the real historical statistics, the amount of artillery losses is much higher than that of AFV losses (actually double).

This is what WW2 stats should look like!

zoober wrote (View Post):
Actually I almost run over some Germans with my M4 because I couldn't spot them:o And this is great

Thankyou for this comment, because this is inspiring me to reEdit the Elements.txt file for DOF3.
Maybe i can make it possible for infantry to hide better.

If anybody can give me some advice/help in this area, the whole community and i will be very grateful

CHEERS

AGS

P.S. My opponent and i took great delight in taking one anothers sprites captive as we both HATE IT when our men surrender.
The russian prisoner count would have probably topped 300 if my opponent was not so inclined to using his mortars on his own surrendering sprites   Shocked    Evil or Very Mad   Shocked

ROTRvR12.jpg
 Description:
CDS from a DOF2 Campaign fought 2005-2006
 Filesize:  136.36 KB
 Viewed:  16420 Time(s)

ROTRvR12.jpg

RIP

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10576

Last edited by ArmeeGruppeSud on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total

zoober

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:42 am Post subject: Re: CC5 vs CC3 Reply with quote

Lower the Requisition Point allowances to minimise the amount of AFVs affordable

And how do I do that?

Regarding making infantry hiding better in CC3 - maybe you could check other mods (like GJS or vetBoB) and compare them with yours?

US_Brake

Rep: 24.2
votes: 22

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Tejszd wrote (View Post):
I'm a CC5 fan too and would have preferred they fixed 5. But CC3 does have some good points compared to CC5;

1) a bit better AI (probably more to do with the smaller maps)
2) a wide range of equipment is available as the game covers many years which allows for some neat options in that a battle/operation maker can control what is available (rarity)
3) individual squads/units can be upgraded
4) individual squads/units can be rested without losing their history
5) points allow freedom to "buy" whatever you want but will stop someone from having all tanks or veteran units or...
6) you can flee a battle
7) prearranged bombardment for a battle (setup by the battle/operation maker)

Yes... 7 reasons why CC3 rocks.

Close Combat's most infamous SOB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:40 pm Post subject: Re: CC5 vs CC3 Reply with quote

Sometime after I got CCMT, I really wanted to get COI.

I had bought CC5 back in 2000 and I couldn't agree more with Sud's first few points about the CC5 Campaign. I try to play a campaign or an operation and there were many maps were there was never a battle, not one.

But, I thought to myself, I would wait for WAR, and then WAR was crap.

Then, I thought to myself, I would wait for TLD, and then TLD was crap.

Then, I thought to myself, I would wait for LSA, and then LSA was crap.

So now, I am worried that if I get COI, it wont run right on W7. Oh, I am sure it will run right on your W7, just not on mine.  Laughing

zoober

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:56 pm Post subject: Re: CC5 vs CC3 Reply with quote

Let's be honest guys - all CC games are great and it's only a matter of personal preferences to say which one is better than other. I got CC3, 4 & 5 and like them all and can't really decide which one is my favorite. On the other hand, of course non of them is perfect either - all have some flaws and bugs. But it's been so many years since these games were released and no one has made anything that would beat or even come close to them. And that's just the best proof of how good these games are:)

Stwa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:53 am Post subject: Re: CC5 vs CC3 Reply with quote

OK,

I will play along.

Since Matrix decided to institute public beta testing as an integral component to the production of thier line of CC games (starting around the time of WAR), the quality of the games at their initial release have led me to believe that the games might be crap, relative to other games in the series.

The re-release of the re-releases, and on-going reliance upon public beta testing hasn't done much to make me zip out the plasctic and pick one of these titles.

It is really a time issue, more than a money issue.

But this topic is about CC3 v CC5. So in that sense, I might extend the comparison to COI and TLD, if anyone is willing.

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:34 am Post subject: Re: CC5 vs CC3 Reply with quote

Stwa wrote (View Post):
I try to play a campaign or an operation and there were many maps were there was never a battle, not one.

but thats a good thing.  In play testing Meuse on tLD I started several GCs, each played out differently even against the AI and some maps were missed in some campaigns, and played on in others.  When the game is expanded to 64 maps this diversity will further increase.  Who wants to recycle the same game over and again?

Stwa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:01 am Post subject: Re: CC5 vs CC3 Reply with quote

Point accepted, but I am wondering if I am thinking there were just some maps in the CC5 GC, that just would never come up. Anyway, I haven't really tried a complete GC in a long time.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Jump to: