Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Author
-Jager-

Rep: 6.5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:40 pm Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

i painted the tanks in Wacht am Rhein/ patch 4.50.07b
Now do they look realistic?

Allies.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  256.33 KB
 Viewed:  16691 Time(s)

Allies.gif

germman.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  347.86 KB
 Viewed:  16691 Time(s)

germman.gif

Good moaning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAajssMn95w&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4QDz3c3Auw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia178T1i8ss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwAioN2mtsA&feature=related

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:28 am Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

papa_whisky wrote (View Post):
Great looking tanks, SL, why shrink in increments and why eps?

Apparently when you enlarge images you should set up an automation to do it in increments (photoshop 7 anyway) so I thought maybe the same when shrinking.  probably should have tested to see if it was so.

Eps was an attempt to use something I could scale without loosing too much info.   Realistically probably could have used jpeg format for all the good it seemed to do.

I figure you've got to try these things to see what you get. Very Happy

papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:24 pm Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

Thanks SL for so clearly demonstrating using existing net images, can be used so effectively to produce vehicles. You have inspired me to get off my a*se and do some more stuff, well at least when I can find some time  Shocked

Therion

Rep: 27.4
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:18 pm Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

Does anyone have any tips for making images from scratch?

Wonderland - my mod for Armored Brigade

Killing for peace is like fucking for orgasm.

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:34 pm Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

Hi All!

The free game WINSPMBT i extracted some vehicles......test here........

Merkava Mk.IV for CCMT

heia Safari!!

-Jager-

Rep: 6.5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:56 pm Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

Perhaps you can use the blueprints? http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/
look at Orginal Close combat Normal_hull to get a idea of the size.

I find the orginal vehicle in close combat a bit to small! I Usually increase them 4pixels higher over that they will be to big.
Normal_turrets i usuall increas 2pixels.

Good moaning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAajssMn95w&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4QDz3c3Auw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia178T1i8ss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwAioN2mtsA&feature=related

platoon_michael

Rep: 47.6
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:03 pm Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

I try to find something/anything to use as a template.
Be it from the web or other games I own.I'm just not that artistic to do it from scratch.
I do agree that a larger Vehicle along the lines of what TT did with VetBoB adds a lot more in terms of detail than what comes with CC.

Currently trying my luck with screen shots from Company of Hero's.
There is a means to edit the MAX zoom out on the game I just don't have the time to find what works best yet.
Could also be useful for creating isometric houses.

relic00005.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  659.8 KB
 Viewed:  17912 Time(s)

relic00005.jpg

relic00004.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  640.09 KB

relic00004.jpg

relic00002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  500.49 KB

relic00002.jpg

Andreus

Rep: 16.8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:57 pm Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

Maybe screenshots taken from Theater of War 2 and Achtung Panzer's editors could work?

They have many vehicles and you can zoom quite close and rotate at will, for max details and tilted graphics...

Mark VI tilted.JPG
 Description:
Top-side view
 Filesize:  165.17 KB
 Viewed:  17880 Time(s)

Mark VI tilted.JPG

Mark VI 1.JPG
 Description:
Top view
 Filesize:  168.72 KB
 Viewed:  17880 Time(s)

Mark VI 1.JPG

You know, I'm just a normal guy like everyone else. Why, my friends say, "Andreus you're just so cool because you're normal just like everyone else." Yep, normal that's me. - Fallout 2

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:15 pm Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

Abdreus:
Is that game worth buying?
Does it play any good?
If not you willing to take requests?
I could use a good image for an Mobelwagon,Wirbelwind,Wesp,Hummel and Nashorn.
I also could use any and all British Tanks and vehicles

Not many Vehicles to choose from but they do have a top down view.
http://www.hobbymastercollector.com/indexpageforallgroundvehicles.html

HG1008-5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  600.61 KB
 Viewed:  17844 Time(s)

HG1008-5.jpg

Andreus

Rep: 16.8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:49 pm Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

Honestly, the game is fun the first hour, then i just came to hate it. I believe the pathfinding is even worse than CC's, at least armoured units.
On the graphic side, it's really beautiful and you can see the impacts on the vehicles/destroy buildings or fences with the tanks.

I don't have it installed anymore and don't plan to, but you can always get the demo see if you can use it for the main vehicles, and try it yourself...

You know, I'm just a normal guy like everyone else. Why, my friends say, "Andreus you're just so cool because you're normal just like everyone else." Yep, normal that's me. - Fallout 2

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:53 pm Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

Here's a better link.
http://www.wwiivehicles.com/dragon/default.asp

Click on the Image of the vehicle/Tank you want,Some but not all have top down images of the tanks/Vehicles.
You can also click the links in RED on the upper left hand side to get to more pages.

60108-05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.6 KB
 Viewed:  17722 Time(s)

60108-05.jpg

CaptSam

Rep: 0.7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:58 pm Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm also a fan of the Close Combat games, especially CC3 and COI.  I also love to make top-down sprites of armored vehicles!  I'm 100% amateur and self-taught.

The CC community has been around for quite awhile, and I was hoping to find some more experienced artists to share some techniques on creating tank sprites pixel-by-pixel, rather than reducing a larger screenshot or drawing.  I cannot seem to create decent sprites simply by reducing image sizes.

I've made lots of sprites for the free game Armored Brigade, and the sprites in Armored Brigade are around the same scale as CC:  In AB they are slightly smaller at 6.4 pixels/meter and CC I think around 7 pixels/meter.  In the upcoming "Panthers in the Fog," it looks like around 10 pixels/meter.  This is very exciting because at 10 pixels/meter, sprite artists will have more pixels to make very good-looking sprites!  Hopefully the new game will be easily modded for Cold War or modern mods with larger/better sprites!

I'm far from a professional artists, but I do make my sprites from the ground up, pixel-by-pixel.

I have posted an example of 10 pixels/meter T-72 tanks and some that look like metal miniatures.  Anything less than 10 pixel/meter this doesn't look right.  Also,  I'm posting an example of some of my sprites at 6.4 meters/pixel: (at different zoom levels, so they are not all at the same scale.)

I think there is probably already a tank graphic available right now for about every single vehicle (modern or WW2) already created for CC and ready to be added to any mod, so there's really not much use in making a bunch of new sprites, but what about 10 pixels/meter??

I would love to share ideas and different approaches for creating sprites with some CC artists!

SSA.jpg
 Description:
10 pixel/meter T-72
 Filesize:  21.16 KB
 Viewed:  17674 Time(s)

SSA.jpg

Metal 10 scale.jpg
 Description:
Metal Miniatures 10 pixels/meter
 Filesize:  29 KB
 Viewed:  17675 Time(s)

Metal 10 scale.jpg

Examples.jpg
 Description:
6.4 pixels/meter
 Filesize:  36.38 KB
 Viewed:  17680 Time(s)

Examples.jpg

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:51 am Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

I don't see anything Capt.

CaptSam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:52 am Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

Strange--They were here earlier.  Here is a re-post:

Basically, I'm hitting a wall in my sprite development.  I figure CC has been around so long there must be a few top-down sprite experts to get some ideas from.

Examples.jpg
 Description:
6.4 pixel/meter sprites at various zoom levels
 Filesize:  36.38 KB
 Viewed:  403 Time(s)

Examples.jpg

SST72C.jpg
 Description:
10 Meter/pixel T-72
 Filesize:  15.17 KB
 Viewed:  380 Time(s)

SST72C.jpg

Metalsprites.jpg
 Description:
T72 and T72 with ERA. 10 pixels/meter. The metallic effect is a bit overdone, but with some refinement, it should be quite nice at this scale.
 Filesize:  29.6 KB
 Viewed:  511 Time(s)

Metalsprites.jpg

CaptSam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:01 am Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

Also, I found this free sprite online and re-painted it.  I cannot find the original sprite artist, but I would love to ask him how he made the sprite look so metallic!

Anyone here have an idea how it was done?  I would love to make a set of sprites that look like metal miniatures!

MetalSprite2.jpg
 Description:
Pz IV
 Filesize:  8.31 KB
 Viewed:  17671 Time(s)

MetalSprite2.jpg

CaptSam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:36 pm Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

I don't know what resources the CC community uses for making images, but here's something I find useful:

http://www.juniorgeneral.org/load.php?Period=10#World

I get a pic of a Panther, use edge-detect and invert colors in GIMP, then I reduce size to 200% in-game for a guide.

Then I paint grayscale layers over the blueprint, make a bumpmap, then reduce to in-game size and add small details,and then I paint a camo overlay layer.

This is just how I'm currently doing images.  Just wanted to share and I wonder if someone has a better way?

Myway.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.11 KB
 Viewed:  446 Time(s)

Myway.jpg

CaptSam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:05 pm Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

This didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but took me about 45 mins...The roof area is too small and the gradients are too rough, but I'm needing some more practice at the larger scale images for when the new CC comes out . . .

Screen1.jpg
 Description:
jagdpather
 Filesize:  7.83 KB
 Viewed:  17656 Time(s)

Screen1.jpg

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:16 am Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

you could always touch that up a shade manually

CaptSam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:09 am Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

southern_land wrote (View Post):
you could always touch that up a shade manually

You're right, I can always touch it up.  But in this case I used the wrong grayscale values in my sloping gradients, so that when I made the bumpmap, it came out too rough.  I suppose I could pretend it is zimmerit paste, but I really didn't mean for it to look that way.  It should be smooth slopes.

This one will have to be re-done.  But I really love doing the camo.  Not sure if others here already know this, but here's a great set of colors for painting German vehicles.  

For me, I would love to waste money on 1/72 miniatures, but I'm too cheap for that.  In a sense, making little sprites and painting them is a lot of fun for me.  I actually get my pixel colors from websites that sell paint for models!  It is so much fun for me.  I was hoping to find a few metal miniature collectors that also make sprites!

Also, someone at this GIMP forums suggested I use the curves dialog to make the vehicles look more metallic.  I'm experimenting with some of that strange German camo patterns and I've increased the curves to look more metallic, but really, this sprite must be redone eventually.  Still, it is lots of fun to paint it!

When the new CC comes out, we will see if there are 32 bit vehicle sprites.  If so, then we can expect extremely high quality vehicles!

Screen5.jpg
 Description:
Various Paint Patterns
 Filesize:  66.58 KB
 Viewed:  595 Time(s)

Screen5.jpg

dakralcolorsa.png
 Description:
Paint colors
 Filesize:  21.54 KB
 Viewed:  614 Time(s)

dakralcolorsa.png

Screen3.jpg
 Description:
Bad Slopes!
 Filesize:  23.13 KB
 Viewed:  384 Time(s)

Screen3.jpg

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:32 pm Post subject: Re: Sharing tips for creating new vehicles. Reply with quote

I would love to see/use the .TGA for this tank if possible.

Your idea seems to be something I could get into.

t_screen5_178.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.75 KB
 Viewed:  389 Time(s)

t_screen5_178.jpg

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Modding Workshop
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to: