Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Author
AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:31 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Hm, surely more ppl here read books..

Well, finished Iron Coffins by Herbert A. Werner. (In Swedish: Döden från djupet, Jag var Hitlers ubåtschef)

The author served on U-boats during the war, later as captain. His boats was slinked twice and still survived. This is a memoir, pretty well written as such, compact and story’s are short but descriptive. Gives anecdotes, details in combat and the horrible life onboard. ‘
Its not one of the best books I read, but if one stumble over it and the subject is of interest its worth a read.

/S

Last edited by AT_Stalky on Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

tigercub

Rep: 23.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:39 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

The blond knight of germany

shatted sword..

i am into

The best Target is the one you just Hit!

Started with CC1 Demo

MajorFrank

Rep: 41.8
votes: 6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:25 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

AT_Stalky wrote (View Post):
Hm, surely more ppl here read books..

Well, finished Iron Coffins by Herbert A. Werner. (In Swedish: Döden från djupet, Jag var Hitlers ubåtschef)

I've been looking for some good u-boat books, especially about the WW2 Atlantic battles. I used to be really into Silent Hunter 2 & 3, strange that I haven't read that many u-boat books. I've been looking for Das Boot as a book, I see it has good reviews. The one you mentioned is also on my list.

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:47 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

MF, its a good read when the subejct is of intrest.

I just finished another book:

OsKus fjärrpatruller by Jukka Mäkelä from 1969

This is a really good book.

OsKu’s was Finland’s long range strategic patrols who gathered information far behind the enemy lines during WW2. Osku’s was a small elite force of some 70 men, serving behind the enemy lines for month at the time.. The story’s have been gathered by the author who him self was in the Finish intelligence service.
The story’s witness of the hardships the men went through. They did not just collect information but was also blowing up railways and bridges and ambushed vehicles and often took prisoners for interrogation back at HQ.
Picked up the book this morning and read it all in a day… Interesting and well written.  

/S

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:56 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Rök över Aunus. By Jukka Mäkelä

This book covers a front sector of Finland during the continuation war. The author has done a grate work in getting the storys from the commanders from the front sector. The view is mostly the company commanders and the battalion commanders view and also the division commanders views. There are also some lower soldiers views but its not like Harry Järvs books of the lower commander and private soldier views.
Anyway, Jukka Mäkelä book is awesome, it’s my second book by him and also this book was read in a single day.
Want a good read of the Finish side and view of the continuation war, this is a highly recommended book.

Its awalible in scandinavian language, but also German but I dont know if they are awalible in English though. Maybe Major Frank know this??

/S

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:25 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

AT_Stalky,

I haven't read any of Mäkelä's books, he seems to be highly regarded so I'm pretty sure he's pretty much spot on in his works.

I see that he has written a book about "The Terror of Marocco", Aarne Juutilainen. That might be a pretty interesting work considering what an interesting persona Juutilainen was and also because of the intensity of the fighting in the Kollaa - sector where Juutilainen commanded his forces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarne_Juutilainen

One of the soldiers commanded by Juutilainen was one Simo Häyhä.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

Although I have to say, the number of confirmed kills for Häyhä might in reality be quite a bit less then 505, it might actually be something between 250 - 300. Still quite a lot in less then 100 days.

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:42 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

The Russian book "BARBAROSSA THROUGH SOVIET EYES: The FirstTwenty-Four hours" was recently translated into English:

http://www.amazon.com/BARBAROSSA-THROUGH-SOVIET-EYES-Twenty-Four/dp/184415923X

Quote:
Artem Drabkin and Alexei Isaev are well known to Russian/former Soviet readers of the Great Patriotic War. Drabkin has taken on the mission of interviewing as many veterans of the war before they pass away and making their reminiscences and memoirs accessible to the public (including publishing a few as full-length books) while Isaev is a well known military historian with close to a dozen titles to his name, ranging from the opening phase of Operation Barbarossa to the battle of Berlin. This very slim volume (some 175 pages of text) makes for a compelling account of the first twenty-four hours of Operation Barbarossa that Nazi Germany unleashed on the Soviet Union. Some of the newest research is included but overall for those familiar with the Eastern Front there is nothing so compelling that one could say it is a must read (especially when weighing the price of the book against the information offered). A plus is the intermixing of the historic account with eye-witness testimony (here the cooperative efforts of Drabkin and Isaev are at their best). Unfortunately, for those unfamiliar with the war between Germany and the Soviet Union much of what's presented here will be interesting but much more will be without adequate context to situate the reader with the needed knowledge of the various personalities, events, and ideas being presented. On the one hand I cannot say this is an original work as there are no new arguments being put forward. On the other hand the authors do address some of the myths that have persisted to this day that revolve around the first day of the war and showcase Soviet mistakes and German hubris, including some of the initial disasters that befell Red Army men and the civilian population in general. So, overall, a recommended book for those with some knowledge of the Soviet Union and the Eastern Front who are interested in seeing what the newest research has to say on the opening phase of Operation Barbarossa from Russian historians and eye-witness accounts from those on the ground.

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:29 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

No Easy Day by Mark Owen & Kevin Maurer

We now know Mark Owen's real identity as this book about the Bin Laden mission has been dealt in the press a lot.

As a book it is ok, not great but doesn't have any big faults in my opinion. It didn't really make me appreciate the Navy Seals any more, to me there is a good bit of hype around them with the US media keeping the hype train going. I guess this book could be seen to be a part of all that hype. The author (the actual navy seal had a guy helping him write the book) may have written this to cash in on the fame, although he has give some of the proceeds to charity to some navy seal - organisations.

I would say that at best this is an average book. Judging the mission I would say that about as much as it was a success, it also turned out to be a bit of a disaster in many ways. They got bin Laden but had a chopper go down, some of that tech probably went to the Chinese, the raid didn't go particularily smoothly, the bin Laden death photos are now more of an embarrassment to the US gov, etc.

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:20 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Thanks Frank. The book looked interesting for me. I am probably going to avoid due to the hype and different versions of the story. Plus how I found the last Seal book I read which is.....

Lone Survivor, another Navy Seal book. It details a failed operation in 2005 where three out of four of a Seal team were killed, and another helicopter load of Seals/Spec Ops who came to save them.

This book was also written by a Seal and a professional writer helping. Average book, the best part about it was the training phase and him describing the battle on the mountain. There is a ton of in between stuff about how awesome Seals are. While reading it I did some research on the net and theres ofcourse a pile of controversy about this one to. Different accounts of the story, I really don't know who to believe. The accounts of enemy soldiers range from 10-20 to 300, drastic difference. That makes a huge difference in how believable the final battle is, its the difference between fantasy and non-fiction. Its hard to reccomend the book now because of that.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:44 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Some nice videos regarding Operation Red Wing
http://www.lonesurvivor.net/videos/

acebars

Rep: -6.7
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:48 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Finished reading "Vietnam: A History" by "Stanley Karnow".

Good book, but although it is a history not totally comprehensive and detail of certain key events is patchy whereas other points very detailed, more like "Vietnam a history by a reporter who was there" as opposed to a richly studied piece.

Jumped back about 3 centuries, now nearly finishing "The Siege of Vienna" by "John Stoye" a little dry but thorough, it really seems like the Poles have a knack of saving Europe's ass this being the first time they averted or repulsed a major European crisis!

MajorFrank

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:26 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

mooxe,

I have to add though, it's not a bad book. I guess it's the most reliable version of the Bin Laden raid at least so far. So I understand why many would like to read it.

What was a little strange was the product placement, he mentioned all the brand names of the gear he used, guns, boots, etc. Probably got a few bucks for mentioning those.

Also there is some talk about the Navy Seals might somehow get back to him for 'breaking the code of silence'. So, lots of drama to go around. And to underline, I'm not a professional soldier or have ever been so I don't really know anything about these things. I do know what I like when I read it. :)

Edit. Oh yea the writer is also pretty anti-Obama, and possibly anti-democrats, so that may or may not be to the reader's liking.

Dima,

thanks, interesting stuff.

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:28 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Just finished The Jungle Is Neutral.

Good book by a British Officer in the jungles of Malaysia. He was in charge of organizing the locals into guerillas. What I liked most about the book was his descriptions of the jungle, and how it affected everything he did day to day. I did have a hard time understanding his movements. He was quite detailed in where and when he moved around the jungles. There were maps included but I did not cross reference them, so maybe my own fault. I reccomend the book to anyone who wants to get a very far different account and perspective on WW2.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

TTorpedo

Rep: 23.5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:45 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

"A History of Warfare" by John Keegan. One off the best books I´v ever read on war. And the only one who deals with war as a cultural expression how we do war and how it evolved  trough history starting in the pre-history til nowadays.

PS: Just ordered 3 books from the same author  after reading this one.

bexx76

Rep: 38.5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:19 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

just finished SNIPER: A NOVEL by Nicolai Lilin

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13127595-sniper

the history of a russian saboteur sniper in the cecenian war.
sometimes it remembered me the way of write of Sven Hassel, fluent narration, rich descriptions and some aspects of the "soldier life" that u can recognize in all the armies of the world...
enjoyied it.

WilliamTheSilent

Rep: 29.4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:01 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

I'm reading Annals of Rome: Tacitus.
Especially when my son is at rugby practice and it's cold outside. I'll read in the car then.
You have to kind of read every sentence twice to understand what's been said in the ancient way of history reporting.
Survival rate of being senator was not very high. Especially when the new emperor came from the opposing party.
Nero was the champion killer.
I believe the romans were the real barbarians of that time.

chessmaster

Rep: 33.1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:54 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Kelile en Demne by Kader Abdolah

GOOD BOOK! not a war book but good

Part of being a commander is knowing when to smile, make the troops happy
even if it is the last thing in the world you want to do

FFL_cheesecake

Rep: 9.3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:16 am Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

Virus Morningstar : Plague of the dead... in french

Apocalyptic book with zombies and survivors.... great books in 3 parts, i'm waiting the third.

A virus turning to infected people, fast, aggressive.. not a zombie yet... but when they are shooted, they rise and become zombie, slow and always aggressive !
2 groups of survivors try to join scientits seaching THE cure !

Diesel

Rep: 0.4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:59 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

I,m reading Grenadiers The Story of the Waffen SS  General  Kurt panzer Meyer.   Written by Kurt Meyer himself.  In 1957.    Steel Inferno 1SS Panzer Corp in Normandy.  By Michael Reynolds.  And I'm reading a can of Oven Cleaner.  Wink   And I just finished reading my bills for the month.   Rolling Eyes

ronson

Rep: 36.7
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:17 pm Post subject: Re: What are you reading? Reply with quote

'Heroic Voices of the Spanish civil war'........memories from the International Brigades,
by Peter Darman

Quite an interesting book, and I would say a must for anyone interested in this period, Ebro and like mods concerned with this war.

The titles a bit misleading as this mainly deals with the 15th Brigade, mostly the British battalion and  the US battalion, all the English speakers in short.

That said its really a superb first hand account of this war, seen through the eyes of the men that fought it on the ground, who contrary to common belief were not all middle class committed 'party' members, consisting mainly of working class men with a 'leftist' viewpoint.
All the major battles the IBs were involved in are covered from Madrid to the Ebro, with chapters on the trianing and equipment too.

The final chapter 'Reflections' is very interesting as it traces the survivors in later life.

If you're interested in this period or simply have never read much on Spain before its well worth a look.

Cheers
Ronson

GR member Ronson1  ac 4247033

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Jump to: