Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
WilliamTheSilent

Rep: 29.4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:45 pm Post subject: Install Problems Windows 8? Reply with quote

I installed my old CC5 + patch501a on my new Windows 8 computer.
Next I tried to install the ABTF mod and Bloody Omaha.
After putting all the files where the belong I open the CfgV13 and click Install.
That's when I get for both mods the message:

Failed to copy C:\Program Files\...etc...\CC5.exe     to      System\Original\CC5.org     because      C:\Program Files\...etc...\CC5.exe   does not exist

Any suggestions about how to get further to my beloved mods?

Is it possible that it has to do with the security (access settings) from Program Files?

I've tried to run CfgV13 as administrator, but same result.

Alberian

Rep: 0.7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:38 am Post subject: Re: Install Problems Windows 8? Reply with quote

Hey,

An solution to this is to install CCV in its default directory. Then you will have no problems installing the mods.

The problem you are facing has nothing to do with your windows version. The problem is with the modswap program. It wants to copy originel CCV files, but it only searches for it in the default directory. So when you have installed it somewhere else it can't find the originel CCV files and gives the error you have.

(Also: You must run the modswap program as administrator)

WilliamTheSilent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:35 pm Post subject: Re: Install Problems Windows 8? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
I did install in the default directory: Program Files\SSI\Close Combat Invasion Normandy.
So it doesn't make sense.

I can only play basic CC5 patched. That's not very forfilling if you're used to the great mods there are.

It must have to do with CfgV13. I'll try to download it again. Mayby my old copy is not good.

Is there another way to install mods?

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:07 pm Post subject: Re: Install Problems Windows 8? Reply with quote

I think I know the answer. Config Manager may not have permission to write to those folders. These permissions are new ever since Windows Vista/7 and up.

Try this method...

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=101#8

Basically, run Config manager with administrator privledges.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

mooxe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:08 pm Post subject: Re: Install Problems Windows 8? Reply with quote

Yeah Alberian said the same thing...

WilliamTheSilent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:52 pm Post subject: Re: Install Problems Windows 8? Reply with quote

Thanks for trying to help.

I tried the Windows 7 solution from the trouble shooting giude, but same result.

I let Windows 8 help me to make it work, but they also ran out of options. So I posted on the Microsoft help forum. We'll see, maybe more Window 8-ers will start having problems.

Maybe the install path from the installer is wrong? How can I change that?

Maybe someone can teach me another way of installing the mods  Confused

WilliamTheSilent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:02 pm Post subject: Re: Install Problems Windows 8? Reply with quote

Can it have to do with the fact that there is Program Files and Program Files (x86)?
So the installer looks for CC5 in the Program Files instead of Program Files (x86)?

What will be the effect of installing CC5 in Program Files?

mooxe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:33 pm Post subject: Re: Install Problems Windows 8? Reply with quote

Lets look at the error you are getting.

":\Program Files\...etc...\CC5.exe   does not exist "

Does that file exist?

Now sometimes when a mod half way installed, your install becomes corrupt. So you'd have to reinstall everything from the ground up. I think you may need to do that. But 1st, verify your error message, does that file exist?

WilliamTheSilent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:27 pm Post subject: Re: Install Problems Windows 8? Reply with quote

I reinstalled several times. Even in files outside the Program Files.

The CC5.exe file exists in Program Files (x86)\SSI\Close Combat Invasion Normandy\CC5.exe.
I would not be able to play it otherwise.

I even added the exe extension to CC5 to make sure it is CC5.exe

I bet ye, the installer is looking for CC5. exe in the wrong place.

mooxe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:07 pm Post subject: Re: Install Problems Windows 8? Reply with quote

"I even added the exe extension to CC5 to make sure it is CC5.exe"

I understand it didn't work before you did this, but this would make it worse. The EXE extension is already on the file, its just hidden from your view. You have essentially changed it to CC5.exe.exe now.

The first line of the install.txt (the file that holds the install instructions for BO) is, "copy $CC\CC5.exe $ORG\CC5.exe". So $CC should be "C:\Program Files\SSI\Close Combat Invasion Normandy".

You are right about the installer looking for CC5.exe in the wrong place. The original error message is exactly what is wrong.

WilliamTheSilent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:16 pm Post subject: Re: Install Problems Windows 8? Reply with quote

Does it mean $CC should be defined as Program Files (x86)\etc?

Where is that file install.txt?
I do not see a definition sentence for $CC in it.

mooxe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:49 pm Post subject: Re: Install Problems Windows 8? Reply with quote

I am not so sure about how $CC is defined. I think it looks for the entry in your registry file. I really don't know. I think your best bet is to install to the \Program Files\ folder and make sure admin mode is on.

WilliamTheSilent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:29 pm Post subject: Re: Install Problems Windows 8? Reply with quote

Okay, I finely decided to install CC5 in Program Files instead of Program Files (x86) and I was able to install a mod.
I had to install Patch501a manually because it automatically chooses an unclear path.

I don't like to mess around in program files. Afraid I will delete something wrong or change something wrong.

So the install path of CfgV13 is towards Program Files and not Program Files (x86).
REMINDER FOR ALL THE OTHER MOD USERS!!!

Maybe a new version could help?

Thanks for all the input!

RRW

Rep: 0.3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:19 am Post subject: Re: Install Problems Windows 8? Reply with quote

been racking brain on install same prob  found this post all sorted  Very Happy

KG_Brandenburg

Rep: 24.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:29 pm Post subject: Re: Install Problems Windows 8? Reply with quote

mooxe wrote (View Post):
I am not so sure about how $CC is defined. I think it looks for the entry in your registry file. I really don't know. I think your best bet is to install to the \Program Files\ folder and make sure admin mode is on.

Ive always thought that the old configs determined $CC by registry value and not hard coded to a specific file path..  I have used custom directories in cc and never had an issue with any of the configs for 2,3,4 or 5..  

One of the only things i hate about cc:COI is the fact i cant choose a custom directory. the developers probable did it for the new mod manager..

fabiombolo

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:56 pm Post subject: Re: Install Problems Windows 8? Reply with quote

I've carefully read any single post in this tread, but I'm really stuck right now.

I'm using windows 10, and have installed CC5 from gog with patch 501a, and the game works fine.

Then I installed config manager and tryed to install several plugins, with same issues as others. So I install them manually, and the game starts regularly and I can go up to the choice of battles/campaigns/operations, but then it crashes without any error message. It is not the video issue, this is working. The crashes happen after you click on the start of the mission.

Any other experience with win 10...?

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy

Jump to: