Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Author
chessmaster

Rep: 33.1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:48 am Post subject: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

hello dear friends,

is the game worth buying with the new patch?

and if so where can I buy it, small detail> I don t have paypal

thank you

Part of being a commander is knowing when to smile, make the troops happy
even if it is the last thing in the world you want to do

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:50 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

I do not have it either. This patch is not convincing me to buy it.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

chessmaster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:46 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

- what exatly isnt good in PITF?

+ and what is good?

be objective please, would like to know the cons and goods on this game

thanks

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:35 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

Here are a few -/+ points;
- Normandy again
- bigger scale means you can see less distance of a map in battle
- multiplayer requires connecting to their server (no direct connection to host/join)
- reserve BG's do not lend units to the front line BG in battle
- troops can only be placed around 1 entry VL instead of 2 like LSA due to the above change

+ 32bit graphics for explosions, maps, vehicles, etc. (should be better)
+ bigger scale for maps and vehicle graphics (more pixels, should be better)
+ guns can be towed
+ more than 15 squads/vehicles per BG
+ troops can be carried in half tracks

Edit:
+ mortar teams have a delay for firing at a spot for the 1st time (3 last locations are saved and can be shot at again without much delay)

Last edited by Tejszd on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Hetser

Rep: 23.7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:15 am Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

Maps are plenty large, hard to defend against a human who uses terrain for cover, which the AI does not. That is to say you can lose if the live opponent "flows" around you, cutting you off from supply.  (Talking operations here.)

The AI seems to be a bit more aggressive, but still needs work. For e.g. the armor gets in too close to potential choke/ambush points. Not like a human's tactics in a similar attack.

Not a lot of opponents, those that are posting at the Slitherine web site are a continent away and therefore available at the wrong time.

I bought it using MasterCard at the Matrix game site,

Let me know if you get it, we could try a battle on for size.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:51 am Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

Quote:
Normandy again

That was probably the biggie, going back there. Also, not going back to the Eastern Front.

They could have at least gone to the neglected Italian front. Kesselring's defensive campaigns have been neglected forever, even in mods. Was hoping the last go around on the old engine would give Clark/Alexander type players a chance for a redo in the history books.

PeG-WW2 Campaigns Page

chessmaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:52 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

so it stilll needs a decent patching up, howcome those guys at matrix dont involve you guys for patching up?
with all the experience of this site, should be an easy job

do wanna try the game doh..
for the new experience like the towing guns, and driving troops around and I  really like the trees, they so big and real Smile like a real forrest

@tejszd

> seems like a serious problem that multiplayer issue

>and why did they removed the function of reserve bg lending troops to frontline, they were doing so well in lsa in that light, that was a good thing

@hetser

> AI is always bad, best ever AI i saw, was Battle For Berlin vetmod

> do like the fact that the maps are so big you can flow around with, the players is more forced to chose whats important, i think its gives extra tactical possibilities

AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:33 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

1) I would like to here about the new way of selecting troops. I mean, isn’t that’s a big change??
How does that work, and how does it function in a GC long term..? Compared to CC3 style, and CC5 style…

2) How about the maps, they look grate, but how’s the code? Reports about the roads being to narrow for the new big vehicles made em go off road instead of staying on the road.. Is that fixed?  Elevation, is that still an issue? Etc…

3) I was first reserved about LSAs 2 point entrys on maps, but that seem to offer some good strategic choices that makes defence harder and attack more easy on the tac level. How does that play out?

4) Are there any H2H players in the lobby?

/S

Last edited by AT_Stalky on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:00 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

Found this in a seperat thread:

Ramcke wrote (View Post):
Shocked I don't really the new installment [PitF] of cc, playing WAR instead, I took PITFALL off my hd and just wait for it to get moded.

Though the post is  missing an important part, he dont say why ...

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:21 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

I'm starting to think I should have gotten LSA instead.

+Graphics (textures, trees, vehicles, explosions look terrific)
+Soldiers' history is not erased if you return them to the Force pool
+Better way to choose troops
+More realistic OOB
+Seems limits on the data files are gone (some one confirm please)
+Some extra stuff is moddable
+Because it is more recent it gets preference on the bug detection and patch release.
+21 units per BG is the max now

-You see less of the battlefield because of the zoom in effect.
-The GUI on the battle map is awful and takes a good chunk of screen when all of them are activated.
-Seems trees and hedgerows don't block LOS like before. It is my impression that the enemy can see you in places where you would normally be safe in previous CC's.
-Can't choose troops from reserve BG forces.
-Most awfully anti-game Operation they could choose to represent, the offensive was over in a day, the rest was mopping up by US, not to mention the location. It was called WORLD war for a reason not NORMANDY war.

At its current state is playable and enjoyable on the campaign. It takes a bit of getting used to to the view and how it "feels" compared to previous versions.

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:33 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

Thanx Kanov.

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:58 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

AT_Stalky wrote (View Post):
1) I would like to here about the new way of selecting troops. I mean, isn’t that’s a big change??
How does that work, and how does it function in a GC long term..? Compared to CC3 style, and CC5 style…

Well, you choose platoons for the first 2 available platoon spaces. A platoon could have 6 units and its leader, thus 7 units max per space, total of 14. These cannot be customized. The third platoon space is for support units, these are chosen on an individual basis, you can choose whatever units here that are support units.

The forcepool is likewise organized into companies, regiments etc.

Now, most BG's are never at the full capacity of 21 units because of different sizes, some BG's are representing regiments, brigades others mere companies. Based on the BG size you are allotted a set of useful slots that you can fill. Most of the time you get to fill the first platoon, like four slots of the second platoon and some of the support platoon.

Some Armored BG's have Tanks platoons where you can choose the tanks for the first two platoon spaces, others have their tanks in the support space.

Most companies have three platoons each.

Each company most of the time has its own weapons and HQ team too, this means that when you select a platoon from the 1st company, it has its own company leader unit and some extra support like panzer schrecks and maybe a kubelwagen for germans. These are in addition to the whole support teams and units for the BG which could be engineers company, AT guns, assault guns, mortars etc.

The refit of teams and repair of vehicles occurs automatic, mostly after night turn. Its effectiveness is according to the side you're playing (Americans are more effective at getting replacements) and difficulty.

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:00 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

I also agree with Kanov that the hedgerows and trees don't seem to block line of sight as they used to. Which I find very stupid and makes it unpredictable whether you will be shot or not. I lost a couple of tanks because I had assumed the hedges would not allow LOS.

Other than that, mortars are very powerful. I have seen mortars kill men which are even in buildings. But maybe it is logical, with buildings having wooden roofs.

It seems as if the firefights seem to be shorter even when two battling teams are in good cover or in buildings, compared to the long firefights in LSA (which I like a lot).

Also almost every German infantry team seems to have MG42. Maybe it is realistic, but I usually prefer the GJS seperation of teams such as: 3 men MG team, and 7 men inf team. It is easier to maneuver a light infantry team while an MG team provides suppression fire.

Graphics look really nice. It would be better if the tracer shots were more apparent, it is sometimes hard to distinguish them.

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:08 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

Thanx again Kanov for that detaild explenation, its sounds intresting.

/S

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:12 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

Thanx Crackwise

edit..

/S

Last edited by AT_Stalky on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:31 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

Pzt_Crackwise wrote (View Post):
I also agree with Kanov that the hedgerows and trees don't seem to block line of sight as they used to. Which I find very stupid and makes it unpredictable whether you will be shot or not. I lost a couple of tanks because I had assumed the hedges would not allow LOS.

Other than that, mortars are very powerful. I have seen mortars kill men which are even in buildings. But maybe it is logical, with buildings having wooden roofs.

It seems as if the firefights seem to be shorter even when two battling teams are in good cover or in buildings, compared to the long firefights in LSA (which I like a lot).

Also almost every German infantry team seems to have MG42. Maybe it is realistic, but I usually prefer the GJS seperation of teams such as: 3 men MG team, and 7 men inf team. It is easier to maneuver a light infantry team while an MG team provides suppression fire.

Graphics look really nice. It would be better if the tracer shots were more apparent, it is sometimes hard to distinguish them.

I've also lost flanking teams that I thought were moving beyond the reach of enemy MG's.

Forgot about mortars lol, HUGE change on them, they need 20sec to aim the first time to a new target, then it releases a volley of about 6 rounds. the target zone gets 'remembered' so if you aim again at that location it doesn't need other 20sec to aim. And yes they are very powerful now, like naval barrage from CC5.

Also agree about the composition of german teams, literally every german infantry unit carries an MG42 I don't know how realistic is that but I don't like it one bit. Much preferred the old way of 7 infantry soldiers and 3 soldiers for the MG support group.

And max number of soldiers for germans is 5, 7 for americans. Which because of the low replenish rate of the germans you must play with teams of 4,3 even two soldiers at times.

I still don't know if lost teams get replenished or if you lose the whole team then is lost forever.

AT_Stalky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:57 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

Okay, regarding funny LOS.

I looked in the elements file, and when it comes to small hedge, the AB row (line 117) is set to "0", it should be set to "1" to make los accumilate, and in the end block los. If its not set to "1" the elemnt never block los no matter how thick the hedge is, and how many rows of hedges there are.

Can anyone who have PitF test this. And see if it makes small hedges behave as u expect?

/Stalky

pitf_turn on lose acc to 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.93 KB
 Viewed:  15164 Time(s)

pitf_turn on lose acc to 1.jpg

DoktorPaj

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:21 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

What I miss most is the unit selection system and the squad sizes where I could handpick and combine my units as I wanted. I don't think I will do so much for now, and wait until someone figures out a way to have all three platoons individually selectable. Now I just have six groups of PzGrenadiere with 3 men and a leMG42 per infantry platoon.

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:39 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

Regarding trees and small hedges not blocking LOS...I forgot when the devs implemented this...was it TLD (before the patches) or LSA?
Tree trunks block LOS, while the leaves don't.
There was an element coding mistake in small hedges like Stalky mentioned...also hedges are now coded on level ground...the mounds/elevated grounds for hedgerows in CC5 are gone!

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:52 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

@Squadleader,  Do you know why the hedges are coded with the ground elevation? The previous CC5, TLD, LSA hedge system used to work great. Why did they change it?

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: