Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1180
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author

Are you interested in a pocket mod/larger mod like this?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 15 ]
Perhaps
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

LuckyDummy

Rep: 38.6

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:03 am Post subject: Operation Stalemate II: Peleliu mod or pocket mod Reply with quote

Greetings friends!

I've happened my way back into the CC mindset and have been toying the the idea for a new Pocket mod/ eventually like to create a GC for the battle of Peleliu.

I'm sure many are familiar with this battle largely thanks to The Pacific HBO series.  I am considering starting with a pocket mod covering some of the action around portions of the epic clash like the fighting south of Peleliu on Angaur Island or north of Peleliu, Ngesebus Is, and wanted to see if there was an interest in the idea.

Porting this over the Okinawa mod I think would be relatively simpler.  Needing only to create and code the maps for the specific areas initially as well as changing/updating some of the involved battle groups and interfaces/artwork.

I've been studying over the details, maps, and images of the battle for a couple of years now and feel confident to begin.
I originally sought help from Yukongold and a few others who were gracious enough to bestow upon me some basic knowledge and materials (textures, tools, etc) but was unable to pursue this at great length.

The third/fourth image below is some experimentation with the stratmap idea for the main island.  I recall reading something about beach maps requiring to a right to left attack(beach on right?) in order for single battles to work properly.  So this is the reason for the orientation of the strat map with N pointing relatively South SW. (anyone know if this is accurate for beach maps to work?)
Again mostly experimenting with different approaches to see what I might do.  I layered portions of aerial photographs of the airfield partially in overlay and partially the actual image as reference to the relative accuracy of the strat map testing to the island/maps themselves.

Following is a sample of my first map attempt two years ago, mostly just playing with textures, (clearly shown the cc5 beach map reversed) cc3 pacific trees, testing my own trees etc just trying to experiment with different looks.

A recent discovery of a huge cache of photos from the battle has given me new perspective on the area and the ability to create fairly accurate maps to reflect the action, whereas my first attempt was merely an imagining with little factual respect to the area around the beaches.
Some issues with the eventually GC i believe would be:

1.  The length of the battle ran roughly over two months, so I'm not sure how to reflect this in relativity to the CC5 engine(assuming it is the one used)
2.  Gains made by the invading marines made by the 2nd day included all of the airfield and most of the southern island.  Yet the fighting in and around Umurbrogal Mountain, "Bloody Nose Ridge" lasted for weeks.  
The relative distances for the airfield in actuality scaled down and compared on a 1:1 ratio for "game play" would make creating a map size capable of reflecting potential gains of territory on a map equivalent to historical ones difficult/impossible.  Or so I perceive.  not sure how this could be overcome, other than sacrificing some historical consistency for playability purposes.

My goal I believe (wisest path to proceed with) would to be to create a pocket again, focusing on Ngesebus or Angaur Islands.
There are many questions I would have, for example If It is necessary to orient the StratMap so the invasion beaches are on the right.
Could the campaign feature beach maps that are coded in such a way to function as a supply without needing the "beach map orientation", and show only the beach map terrain for aesthetic purposes?

A summary of the battle can be found at wikipedia, and a more indepth/detailed accounting can be found Here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC/USMC-M-Peleliu/

So i'd like to get others feedback on the possibly of this , your thoughts, opinions,  suggestions, etc, or if you don't believe this is a good idea, please feel free to give honest feedback.

Cheers,

LD.

US Marines at Peleliu Beach .jpg
 Description:
Reminds me about CC2 ABTF with this art!
 Filesize:  164.5 KB
 Viewed:  15300 Time(s)

US Marines at Peleliu Beach .jpg

USMC-M-Peleliu-8.jpg
 Description:
Angaur Island (4 day fight roughly)
 Filesize:  245.69 KB

USMC-M-Peleliu-8.jpg

USMC-M-Peleliu-3.jpg
 Description:
Main Peleliu Map showing Ngesebus @ North.
 Filesize:  476.16 KB

USMC-M-Peleliu-3.jpg

Alpha_Strat.jpg
 Description:
Strat map layering testing/comparisons
 Filesize:  174.13 KB

Alpha_Strat.jpg

MapSample.jpg
 Description:
Early map experiementing years ago, Thanks Yukon!
 Filesize:  346.15 KB

MapSample.jpg

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:11 am Post subject: Re: Operation Stalemate II: Peleliu mod or pocket mod Reply with quote

A great idea;)

Thanks!

heia Safari!!

DAK_Legion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:48 am Post subject: Re: Operation Stalemate II: Peleliu mod or pocket mod Reply with quote

maybe you can see in bloody betio a reference for your Project....

heia Safari!!

LuckyDummy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:58 am Post subject: Re: Operation Stalemate II: Peleliu mod or pocket mod Reply with quote

DAK_Legion wrote (View Post):
maybe you can see in bloody betio a reference for your Project....

DAK, thats actually where I thought I read it at.  Looking now , it shows beach maps with a south position, so this works in CC5?

DAK_Legion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:15 pm Post subject: Re: Operation Stalemate II: Peleliu mod or pocket mod Reply with quote

Hi

this is the link of bloody betio mod for The Longest Day....

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9585

here are some pics and you can get an idea.

I think the map orientation not a problem for me...you must play with the .btd´s..is my opinion

heia Safari!!

LuckyDummy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:21 am Post subject: Re: Operation Stalemate II: Peleliu mod or pocket mod Reply with quote

Greetings all,

Coming back into all this after several years of hard drive failures and other shinanigans.
I've decided to start with a smaller/pocket mod for the Battle of Angaur involving the 81st Infantry Divison, which later was tasked with relief efforts and taking over on Peleliu due to the heavy marine casualties in securing the island.

I've drafted up a possible strat map idea.  I believe the release will use TLD as porting over units/sounds/weapon/scrn images etc will speed up delivery considerably.

Depending on my ability to manipulate the days/hours involved, this could be anywhere from 8 maps or up to 25 if i really wanted to reflect the advancement over the coarse of hours during the 4 day gains.

The Assault begins on Red & Blue beaches.  N side, and E side of the island.
involved Battle groups would be made up of the 81st INF Div.
1/2/3 Battalions of the 322nd & 321st.  Four Battlions spearhead the attack each of 322 & 321st, with 1 battalion in reserve.
Later support does arrive but may not suit the campaign map.

What do you think?

Thanks,

LD

Angaur Strat Map.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  163.26 KB
 Viewed:  12677 Time(s)

Angaur Strat Map.jpg

Bungarra

Rep: 137.3
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:31 pm Post subject: Re: Operation Stalemate II: Peleliu mod or pocket mod Reply with quote

I'm sure Southern Land would feel for you with your hard drive failures.....  His was a heartbreaker...

Dak is still about too... so don't hesitate to ask.... there are some terrific mod/map makers here.....

It looks a very interesting project and I look forward to the outcome..

Good luck

You know if you don't live it.... You can't give it.

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:56 am Post subject: Re: Operation Stalemate II: Peleliu mod or pocket mod Reply with quote

Bungarra wrote (View Post):
I'm sure Southern Land would feel for you with your hard drive failures.....  His was a heartbreaker...

Hell yeah

ScnelleMeyer

Rep: 190.3
votes: 18

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:35 pm Post subject: Re: Operation Stalemate II: Peleliu mod or pocket mod Reply with quote

Nice to see you bring this one back to the drawing table LuckyDummy.

Wish you good luck on the project.

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:54 pm Post subject: Re: Operation Stalemate II: Peleliu mod or pocket mod Reply with quote

All mods about pacific theater are greatly needed... Very Happy

Uberdave

Rep: 26.9

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:04 am Post subject: Re: Operation Stalemate II: Peleliu mod or pocket mod Reply with quote

Yes, Pacific Mods are always needed.

I think it would be nice, especially with some good tropical / jungle maps (another thing missing from CC).

Okinawa was mediocre and Betio was a brief novelty. There never has been a Pacific mod on par with the West/East front mods.

If you need help modelling the Japs, let me know. They are typically poorly modded in CC.

DAK_Legion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:18 am Post subject: Re: Operation Stalemate II: Peleliu mod or pocket mod Reply with quote

You can make better of you can uberdave
Take okinawa with all stratmap and database portes and make the best mod for tld....maybe as the shit of khalking gol;)

Enjoy enjoy comrade;)

heia Safari!!

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Modding Workshop

Jump to: