Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1222
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Hurriken

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:55 pm Post subject: Which game to buy? Reply with quote

Last time I was here was 2006! I thought this series was long dead and I ran across a review for another wargame that mentioned Close Combat V. I had no idea they were still making games! What, is Close Combat an underground game now?I was a huge CC2 player back in the 90's but stopped when I couldn't get it working on newer rigs. Played a little CC3 as well. It seems CC5 is the hot game but I don't understand what to buy when I look at the online stores. Can someone help me get started? Which game I should buy, which mods to DL, where to buy, etc. I want to run it on a Win8 laptop and an WinXP pc. I'm pretty happy to find this out, I've never played a game quite like it since.

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:48 pm Post subject: Re: Which game to buy? Reply with quote

Must be pretty exciting to see all the stuff available if you say you stopped at CC3.  Smile

This is all my opinion:

CC4 has the most fun stock campaign out of the strategic Close Combats. It is Highly inaccurate and full of gross unit mistakes though, not something even a history amateur would like to see. Also I don't like the snow setting that much that's why it got the shortest play time from me. Best AI mod with VetBoB.

CC5 has the best overall mods but don't know if it will work with win8. The stock campaign and maps are pretty good too. GJS, Stalingrad series, cc4 conversion, Kharkov, Meuse, Omaha, Okinawa are just some of the mods available.

Now the new releases are kind of hit and miss depending what you like. They supposedly work in win7 at least:

Wacht am Rhein (Remake of CC4): more maps, more moddability, different strategic map. Mods fro CC4 do not work with this version.

The Longest Day (Remake of CC5): The main game offers you the chance to fight on all the beaches in Normandy. An ugly elongated and narrow strategic map of just 2 or 3 maps deep in some areas is the consequence though. You can't have your cake and eat it too! lol. Mods for cc5 do not work with this version.

Last stand Arnhem: Has lots of new features for the strategic CC's like exploding bridges, static units, stacking of battlegroups, sharing units between battlegroups etc. Not a remake of CC2 though, more like a mod of the new close combat engine covering the Market Garden operation.

Panthers in the Fog: improved graphics now at 32bits which gives you the possibility of having the best looking units in all the series. Great forcepool system, now your troops' achievement aren't lost if you return them to the forcepool, can mount halftracks, max qty of units upped from 15 to 21. Loses a couple of features available in LSA though. Still in babby state not seeing much activity on it except for a full mod coming late this year covering operation epsom. Should work on win7.

TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 pm Post subject: Re: Which game to buy? Reply with quote

CC2 works on Windows 7 at least. Should work on 8 too.

And a lot has changed since CC2/CC3. You may be in for a shock...

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:14 pm Post subject: Re: Which game to buy? Reply with quote

This topic pops up from time to time, you should make a quick search to know what people have said before.

I believe it's a matter of preference, we all have a favorite game, for me It's CCII and CCV.

CCII has aged pretty well, although it lacks some features like scavenging, that would be really useful, or multiple waypoints.
It features a very special campaign mode with multiple fronts, resources, etc, that make it a favorite for some of us. Also the small maps are great for the AI.

CCV is the last of the "classic" games and it features some of the best mods. The vanilla game is not that great. This one is the most played online, at least it was the last time I checked.

As for the remakes, I only have LSA and other than that I played The Longest Day. Each one has something that makes it stand out but there are not many mods out there.

And to run the classic games you should try Close Combat Starter.

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:42 pm Post subject: Re: Which game to buy? Reply with quote

Get a copy of CCV and play its mods for the next 10 years.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

Hurriken

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:31 am Post subject: Re: Which game to buy? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

So CC5 is "the Longest Day"? It's pretty expensive, I'm surprised. I still have my original disc of CC2 and CC3. Will that still work?

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:13 am Post subject: Re: Which game to buy? Reply with quote

Hurriken wrote (View Post):
Thanks everyone!

So CC5 is "the Longest Day"? It's pretty expensive, I'm surprised. I still have my original disc of CC2 and CC3. Will that still work?

Nope

CCV is Invasion Normandy

The Longest Day is a remake of CCV

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:17 am Post subject: Re: Which game to buy? Reply with quote

Just this past Sunday, I watched a friend of mine use an original CC5 game disk, to install that game onto a Dell Inspirion (dual core) laptop running Win 7 (64).

Not only did the game install perfectly, the game executed perfectly as well. What seemed even more amazing to me was the 1366 x 768 flatscreen panel display.

When examining CC5 options, this screen resolution was listed, and therefore specified, and during execution the menu displayed in 1024 x 768 (with 2 vertical bars, one on each side), and the game screen utilized all 1366 x 768 pixels.

Dima

Rep: 87.3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:55 am Post subject: Re: Which game to buy? Reply with quote

Stwa,

CC5 runs just fine on my i7 (Win7-32) with 1920x1080 resolution.

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:28 am Post subject: Re: Which game to buy? Reply with quote

Same here...on a 3 year old AMD X3 PC (Win7-32).
What's your max res setting for playing CC, STWA?

Stwa

Rep: 308.9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:38 am Post subject: Re: Which game to buy? Reply with quote

The monitor I am using is 1360 x 768 and its 32".

I get some pixelated stuff, (like tank guns), but I use the small 9 pixel soldiers, and I just love the game.

My understanding is Win 7 will be supported until 2020 (maybe longer), so that is really cool.

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:29 pm Post subject: Re: Which game to buy? Reply with quote

I can get CCV to run on my 21" monitor and the maps look fine but the Battlegroup screen looks horribly pixelated.

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:46 pm Post subject: Re: Which game to buy? Reply with quote

I can't get CC4-5 to do 1366 resolution.

I have to set it to win98 compatibility or else the game turns into a powerpoint sideshow but this setting doesn't let 1366, the biggest is 1280 or something like that.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:14 am Post subject: Re: Which game to buy? Reply with quote

CC5 on Win7 with a 24 1920 x 1200 monitor works good. Only issue CC6 specific to Win7 and or newer machines is the scrolling is too fast when hitting the sides of the screen. This issue has been fixed along with some other CC5 bugs but you do lose access to a large number of mods....

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:00 am Post subject: Re: Which game to buy? Reply with quote

With newer machines...get used to using the arrow keys to scroll when playing CC5.
But at max res...there should be minimal scrolling on most CC5 sized maps.

Silverpen

Rep: 28.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:42 pm Post subject: Re: Which game to buy? Reply with quote

Hurriken,
I have CCI,III,IV and V as well as TLD and WAR. Frankly CCIII & CCV are the best of the CCS with the most interesting mods available. With CCV I can even play CCII ABTF as a mod and there is an excellent new mod on a slice of the Italian Campaign called Ortona . There are a few mods now for TLD and WAR as part of Matrix Games offering. As for technical issues I can get all the games other than CCI to play on my laptop HP Pavilion Win7 64 bit  dv6 4G ram 250G hard drive dual 2.1M at 1366x768 res and 16 bit. I can't speak for Win8 but it should work fine.Yes the new PITF is damn expensive and I am still deliberating on its purchase.
I suggest you continue to communicate to some of the seasoned players/modders here on CCS to get their expert opinion.

Silverpen

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: