Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1214
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Author
johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:38 am Post subject: Re: Is CCS slowly dying? Reply with quote

Quote:
No one that has been involved with CC over the years (its development or production) has considered the games to be primarily single player.

Truer words were never spoken my friend. Some (many) of us no longer play H2H now days, yet realize there really is no way to EVER fix that issue and that Matrix/Atomic, blah,blah never did put any type of priority on that issue.

Quote:
the AI in close combat is that we as consumers can modify it to become a ruthless attacker or a tenacious defender. And that is just by modifying some lines in the data files!

Only within certain boundaries Pzt_Kanev. TT's mods, tools etc did many exciting things with his work and some still carry the torch (too many names to list) but memorizing the same old stale maps... equipment characteristics.. It gets kind of old after awhile you know?

Missed seeing you here STWA, must have been checking in on the "wrong" topics when was looking in Smile

PeG-WW2 Campaigns Page

TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:45 pm Post subject: Re: Is CCS slowly dying? Reply with quote

Stwa wrote (View Post):
Regarding the age question,  Arrow   Same to ya.  Exclamation  

Stwa wrote:
BTW, since 2004, I can count the number of multiplayer battles, in which I have participated, on one hand.

Wow, even I'm beating you.

I'm beginning to wonder if a multiplayer tornament would help to revive the series/this site or not. There's no point trying it if people very rarely play multiplayer.

I'm also wondering if we could issue challenges/achievements to try make a competition - that might spark some interest too.

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:46 pm Post subject: Re: Is CCS slowly dying? Reply with quote

I posed a challenge over at the CC5 forum.

I don't know if that's how you guys used to play using CCReq, but I was used to just choose between a bunch of single maps the host provided. Now I'm suggesting that you can make your own custom FP (can be mixed force of SS, heer,FJ) based on a point limit given by CCReq, export it and send it to me to make the OP and we can slug it out!

I think it is more fun if you actually choose the troops you're going to use.

CCMMORTS

Rep: 0.8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:22 pm Post subject: Re: Is CCS slowly dying? Reply with quote

Here's an idea for a challenge
What about playing a WAR grand campaign
Every player in the tournament plays a BG from start to end of campaign
So at the end of each battle the players involved upload a new saved game of the campaign
I think it could accommodate a lot of players too!
PS : SHOTGUN PEIPER  Razz

''Where the iron crosses grow''

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:30 pm Post subject: Re: Is CCS slowly dying? Reply with quote

We tried it in the Nomada clan, it sets itself for trouble when the player that is next up is not available. It needs dedication and commitment from all the players!

I think small ops are better since they can be actually finished though.

CCMMORTS

Rep: 0.8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:36 pm Post subject: Re: Is CCS slowly dying? Reply with quote

True

''Where the iron crosses grow''

TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:40 pm Post subject: Re: Is CCS slowly dying? Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
I think small ops are better since they can be actually finished though.

I think individual battles would be better, but agreed that small ops are superior to campaigns.

I'd prefer something we could measure, like time/speed runs and no/minimum casualties.

E.g. CC2 - Start the Nijmegen Operation, and take Nijmegen City map as the Americans taking the fewest/no casualties on at least Veteran Diff.

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:22 pm Post subject: Re: Is CCS slowly dying? Reply with quote

Hi Again Gents (you too TIK  Wink ),

There are a lot of things we could try to help resurrect MP, but more specifically CC gameplay in general. But, the forumites here over the years have proven to be very strong minded if you know what I mean. It is hard to get consensus on anything much less outright agreement.

The very fact that Matrix has been popping out a 2D title almost every year since 2006, in some ways has presented a challenge even to multiplayer gaming. If sales were divided equally among all these titles, then the available MP oponents for a single customer of a single CC title has been divided by the number of realeased titles. Not good.

And then what about leadership here at CCS. What has been happening during this purgatory phase (all these flaming titles). Apart from myself, I haven't heard anyone else even mention that all these titles (one every year), is a problem. So, since I don't hear it from others (like the uppers at CCS), I just keep it to myself.  I have heard one upper here at CCS recommend that a NOOB should just buy them all, and the upper even listed the order in which they should be puchased. Not good? I dunno?

When the picture gallery was still around, it was easy to understand what had happened around 2000. SSI went out of bis, Atomic didn't quite finish CC5, and soon thereafter there was Destineer, and you just got the sense that there were not really going to be anymore CC titles. Not good 2D titles anyway. That stableized CC for the most part on a single title - CC5, and modders could do their thing, knowing there would never be another update or another title, unless it was a mod.

And then there are the MP lobbies. At least everyone here wandered through the lobby wilderness, I suppose beginning with BHQ, then Himachi, and then to Game Ranger. Even though I dont do MP, I got the impression that we were Feature Shopping, but after some research on that maybe this wasn't all about Feature Shopping.

So, if all the multiplayers were spread around equally on the available lobbies and if everyone purchased a single CC title your potential oponents are very reduced. So 5 titles (including PitF), 4 lobbies (including Slitherene), then out of 1000 people that purchased a CC title the maximum available opponents would be 1000 * .20 * .25, which equals 50.

Then you gotta figure perhaps 50% of those just don't want to mess with MP and 50% of whats left aren't in your time zone or don't speak your language, so that leaves only a potential of 12.5 per 1000 gamers that purchased a title from Matrix.

Stwa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:19 pm Post subject: Re: Is CCS slowly dying? Reply with quote

Well, obviously I am just guessing at some of the multipliers I used in the equation from the prior post. But you guys get the idea. And me thinks Matrix/Slitherene gets the idea as well. So much so, they decided to cut down on the available lobbies when they released PitF. It (the number of lobbies) is not the whole reason, but it is part of the reason. Other factors, were probably promotional, since while you are at the Slitherene lobby you will notice other featured games, etc.

But they did more than just cut down on the available lobbies. PitF departs signigicantly from the other games. The map scale changes just the best example. However, Matrix realized quickly that perhaps mods should be transported to PitF lest it be the odd game of the bunch, and proffered a method for upscaling your maps without having to re-do the dreaded map codes.

Mooxe said in another thread, that perhaps new mods would help to re-juvenate this site. But why on earth would anyone do that, when Matrix continues to pop out another game every year. What would the point of modding be when the average mod team can produce a complete mod every two years at best.

And it was established very early on in at least CC5 modding, that a mod really meant an ENTIRELY NEW GAME from top to bottom. You know, the kind of mod that might take forever to finish. In the time it took me to make my lowly CCMT mods, Matrix realeased 3 new WW2 titles.

The only people contemplating the classic full mod, are people that are submitting a prototype to Matrix for the next possible Matrix title. So, you have one upper at CCS suggesting the community produce some new mods, while other uppers are building mods to present to Matrix as potential production candidates.

But like all problems, there could be solutions, but the problems need to be identified first, and there must be common ground which can be agreed upon. Otherwise, we will just see the same pattern over and over again.

CSO_Sbufkle

Rep: 32.2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:06 pm Post subject: Re: Is CCS slowly dying? Reply with quote

Im happy to see the CCS around still.. and man.. the cries of "is CC dying" goes back over a decade. As long as you guys post in here and have online get togethers it will survive.

2 years ago I joined an Xbox Clan of older guys, somehow CC came up and the next thing you know a bunch f the guys had played it and i am sending  them mods and maps! (GREAT WAR MOD!!

Mooxe should have been allowed to be part of the rereleased for the very least being the hub of the communities with the CCS. If not even more..

But Matrix had its own forums and decided to go that way. which I can understand, but were talking hindsight, and that being so, a partnership with CCS as the acknowleged hub might have been a better fit. THe community was divided with rereleases. Those who made them honestly wanted to help the community strong, from what I believe, even when I briefly was a part of it. But hey... thats why you leave major release games manufacturing to the professionals.. modders in cc take those basic releases and make them better. The dynamics changed.

Personally, console gaming is the thing.. HD 1080p viewing, stereo turtle beach headsets, gaming conventions and modern games lobbies. I would have loved that for CC... but it just didnt happen.

A big thank you to Mooxe and what hes done to keep community alive.. and I really hope it stays there.. because it always has!

Ivan_Zaitzev

Rep: 56.1
votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:23 pm Post subject: Re: Is CCS slowly dying? Reply with quote

Matrix has declared the fan forums of Steel Panthers as the official Steel Panthers Forum, so there's a chance they will do the same with Close Combat.
Nice to see you around Sbufkle!

The real Close Combat starts when you are out of ammo.
Have you hugged your AT Gun today?
My Youtube Channel
http://closecombat2.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:55 am Post subject: Re: Is CCS slowly dying? Reply with quote

wow,
CSO_Sbufkle

Where's SR_Drill?
I have his last login at Matrix to be 3 years ago

CSO_Sbufkle

Rep: 32.2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:11 am Post subject: Re: Is CCS slowly dying? Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
wow,
CSO_Sbufkle

Where's SR_Drill?
I have his last login at Matrix to be 3 years ago

Platoon Michael! The CCIV man!

Stwa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:31 pm Post subject: Re: Is CCS slowly dying? Reply with quote

Ivan_Zaitzev wrote (View Post):
Matrix has declared the fan forums of Steel Panthers as the official Steel Panthers Forum, so there's a chance they will do the same with Close Combat.
Nice to see you around Sbufkle!

Me thinks they may have done something similar when they brought Ageod on-board.

Hi Sbufkle. I only spoke to you a few times, but you just seem to project the "good old days".

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:33 am Post subject: Re: Is CCS slowly dying? Reply with quote

Wow Sbuf!

glad to see you!

always...GHAZWAH the best map for CC!

heia Safari!!

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:04 pm Post subject: Re: Is CCS slowly dying? Reply with quote

Hey glad to see your still hanging around Sbufkle!

Gun_Pierson

Rep: 1.3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:08 pm Post subject: Re: Is CCS slowly dying? Reply with quote

The problem is that there's no next gen version of close combat yet.  So Players move over to other games.  I mean I still love cc, but last years I've also been playing Men of War.  Even though not strictly CC, it has great graphics and is fun to play once in a while.  Not on the level of fun I have as with CC, but as less mods come out for CC and the graphics get worse over time as technology evolves, the game loses players.  Not to mention the AI.  These days it's funny that a tank shows it's back so it becomes annoying. When a good successor eventually will arise, the forums will flourish with activity again.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:02 pm Post subject: Re: Is CCS slowly dying? Reply with quote

I vaguely remember you also from the glory years also online Sbufle. The leader of your group was.. Sully?, or Sullivan the full name?

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to: