Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Author
Gunsche

Rep: 18.3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:45 am Post subject: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Reply with quote

Yepp, it's september and Operation Market Garden began five days ( and a couple of years  Wink ) ago.
I had originally planned to post this on the 17th, but a few misstakes were discovered and had to be corrected and some new things were added (more about that further in the post), but here goes:
"It Never Snows In September" is a mod for Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem. It changes much of the stock game, but I wouldn't call it a total conversion. The goal of this project is to make the game more historical accurate, add more variety and flavour to make the game even more fun to play!

The work is based on the mod karlmortar began working on back in 2010 (you can find his forum thread some where in this forum section). I signed up to help him last year and we made quite some progress until this summer. He told me that he unfortunatly didn't
have time to continue modding (damn real life!) so Im alone on this now.

The things that have been done so far with the mod:
All necessary data has almost been completed, there are some changes in the vehicle and team files to be made aswell as some historcial changes in the Force fool file.
Team and soldier file is based on Dima and Nikin's GJS TRSM mod for TLD (with permission of course) and vehicle and weapons are based on Cathartes GJS mod for LSA ( also with permission). The reson for this is that the TRSM teams are awesome and that the GJS data works better than what we had first.
With our old data Panthers, for example, could shoot at Shermans for several minutes; their DIRECT hits doing nothing to harm the tank.
Now we are seeing 1-shots  Wink

Here are a few changes and explanations for some of the contents in this mod:
Dutch medals, new german unit types and ranksymbols and new battlegroups.
On the battle groups:
Axis:
KG Walther = KG Dreyer :KG Walther was formed early in the battle, and just as quick almost destroyed. The commanding officer was replaced with paratrooper officer colonel von Hoffmann and the KG counter attacked the corridor on 22nd of september. Under its's command was 107th Panzer brigade, but it seems to be the only unit being part of the KG at the time. I (we) removed KG Walther and replaced it with KG Dreyer, an infantry combat formation from the 85.ID with elements of the Herman Göring division school and FJ battalion Finzel.
Under KG Chill command.

StuG Abt 280 = KG Huber : Arrived from Denmark to help clearing out Oosterbeek. Was split up to beef up the other KGs. Changed into KG Huber, formed of the 59th ID's 1035th Regiment, a few PaKs and Jagdpanthers. Also under the command of KG Chill.

s.Pz Abt 506  = KG Henke : When the 'abteilung' arrived it was immediatly split into 2 parts. 2nd Coy went to the 9.SS to help clear out Oosterbeek, the  3rd Coy went to the 10.SS to help defend Elst. The 1st Coy didn't get to Arnhem, it was sent to Aachen to fight the americans. The 506th have been replaced with KG Henke, a force of all kinds of training units and reserves. Later gets reinforced by training panzers from the Herman Göring division school.

Festung MG Btl.42  = Sperrverband Harzer : Part of the hastly formed blocking force south of the Arnhem bridge, formed from various forces like sailors, coastal and fortress MG battalions. Decided to make it 'bigger'by turning it into the entire blocking force (except for III/Landstorm Nederland)

KG 712  = FJ Rgt.6  : The only combat unit formed from this division was KG Zauber, which fought south of Best on the other side of the river. In other words: outside the GC map! Replaced with FJ Regiment 6 von der Heydte, the famous parachute regiment  under the command of Freiherr von der Heydte, famous for it's battles i Normandy. Reinforced by paratrooper battalion Finzel.

Pz Kp 244  = KG von Allwörden  : Only fought as a complete unit during their engagement. Lost a couple of their flame tanks due to having no infantry support. The Coy was split up, each platoon being assigned to a KG. Pz Coy 224 now only appear as reinforcements with other KGs. Removed this unit and replaced it with KG von Allwörden, the 9.SS Tank hunter battalion. Equipped with
2 Jagdpanzer IV and a 75mm PaK it formed the northen part of the defences to Arnhem. Gets reinforced by sailors.

KG Chill  = FJ Btl.Ewald : 85th ID with absorbed parts of the 84th and 89th ID. This unit fought to the west of operation 'Market Garden', but KG Chill functioned as a administrative unit for the forces located ion the western side in the airborne corridor at Eindohven. Replaced KG Chill with FJ Rgt. Ewald,a parachute unit you get early inte battle around Eindhoven.

Allied
Princess Irene Bde = 7th Bn the King's Own Schottish Borderers / 1st AL Bde = I do not wish to insult or downplay the role of the dutch soldiers fighting in the allied armies, but the Princess Irene didn't see any action at all during Market Garden apart from with guarding the Grave bridge and tend to some german POWs. I changed this unit to the 7th british airlanding battalion instead.

Stay tuned for more, because the next time you will get a look at the new vehicles and guns!
And sorry for the wall of text Razz

New BGs.JPG
 Description:
New battlegroups
 Filesize:  24.88 KB
 Viewed:  40993 Time(s)

New BGs.JPG

Dutch medals.JPG
 Description:
Dutch medals
 Filesize:  3.82 KB

Dutch medals.JPG

ALLIES.JPG
 Description:
Allies uniforms and ranks
 Filesize:  43.39 KB

ALLIES.JPG

AXIS.JPG
 Description:
German uniforms and ranks. No pictures means that the just look like ordinary SS,Heer or FJ.
 Filesize:  215.85 KB

AXIS.JPG

Main Screen.jpg
 Description:
Main Screen
 Filesize:  495.39 KB
 Viewed:  701 Time(s)

Main Screen.jpg

A stupid gigant working on INSIS: 'It Never Snows In September' a mod for LSA. Check my forum thread for details : http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10178

Last edited by Gunsche on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:53 am; edited 4 times in total

Sapa

Rep: 76.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:01 am Post subject: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Reply with quote

Great work! Looking forward to it  Very Happy

Thankyou!

Gunsche

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:18 am Post subject: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Reply with quote

Im happy to oblige. Wink

By the way, can anyone help me with the polish and dutch rank insignias?
Are they the correct ones or are they too modern?

Oh, and one more thing, what do you guys want most?
Too keep the Heer tank destroyer rank/uniforms or let me change them into SS panzer recon?
I was thinking since I don't have a spot for SS tank destroyers, I could just cheat and let Heer tank destroyers look like regular panzer crews too, and make a spot for SS panzer recon (replacing the white piping on their rank symbols with yellow).
There aren't that many Heer tank destroyers, but two full BG's of SS panzer recon.

A stupid gigant working on INSIS: 'It Never Snows In September' a mod for LSA. Check my forum thread for details : http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10178

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:01 pm Post subject: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Reply with quote

Can't wait to give a test. Thank you for putting in the effort!

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:46 pm Post subject: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Reply with quote

Wow! Looking great!
Great attention to detail...and very nice work and research on historical ranks and uniforms!
Looking forward to this one!

Gunsche

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:00 pm Post subject: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Reply with quote

If there is one thing I like, then it's detail  :wink:

A small update for today:
Finally got my self to fix some alignment issues of turrets, shadows and hulls on some of the vehicles. Also did some correction in the vehicle file ( no more open-top halftracks 'tanking' dozens of genades and turrets swinging around instantly  Surprised  ) and improved some of the old, selfmade (and ugly) tank textures. Will post more about them this weekend.

By the way, any input on if you want to keep the Heer tank destroyer crews or change them for SS panzer recon?

Wow, a bit late but I saw an error in the german ranks/uniforms pic.
For the heer td crew description = the sturmartillerie of course belonged to the ARTILLERY, not the infantry!

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:43 pm Post subject: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Reply with quote

Quote:
For the heer td crew description = the sturmartillerie of course belonged to the ARTILLERY, not the infantry!

it depends on formation, f.e. StuG crews in PzJAbt or PzAbt would have Rosa-waffenfarbe and uniform could range from infantry to panzer crew uniform with everything in between.

Gunsche

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:25 pm Post subject: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Reply with quote

There are two Heer formations with StuG III ( a 3rd  unit being Fallschirmjäger and a fourth with the 10.SS)
1 is a StuG Abteilung (280.StuG Abteilung with 7 StuG IIIG and 3 StuH42) and the other is a s.Pz.Jagd-Abteilung (s.PzJagd-Abteilung.559 with 4 Jagdpanthers and at least 10 StuG IIIG).
The 559 is a bit interesting as it had both StuG III and Jadpanthers.

Code:
uniform could range from infantry to panzer crew uniform with everything in between

True, for example: the commander of 280.StuG Abteilung (Major Kurt Kühme) wears a sturmartilleri panzer-wrap(greyish) with red-piped heer insignias, while another member of that unit wears a plain heer uniform.

Hmmm...I am in a bit of a pickle here, what uniform to give my td crews?
Giving all heer td crews regular panzer uniforms would perhaps be the best after all?

Dima

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:02 pm Post subject: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Reply with quote

Quote:
There are two Heer formations with StuG III ( a 3rd  unit being Fallschirmjäger and a fourth with the 10.SS)
1 is a StuG Abteilung (280.StuG Abteilung with 7 StuG IIIG and 3 StuH42) and the other is a s.Pz.Jagd-Abteilung (s.PzJagd-Abteilung.559 with 4 Jagdpanthers and at least 10 StuG IIIG).

crews from 10.SS-PzD should have rosa waffenfarbe as they belonged to Panzere. Uniform - panzer crew.
crews from 280.StugAbt should have hochrot waffenfarbe as they belonged to SturmArtilerie. Uniform - StuG jackets.
crews from sPzJA.559 should have rosa waffenfarbe as they belonged to Panzerjagere. Uniform - StuG jackets or panzer crew uniform.
not sure about FJ-StuG-Brigade, but probably hochrot as well.

Quote:
The 559 is a bit interesting as it had both StuG III and Jadpanthers.

that was pretty common to have different type of AVF in same formation in late war.

Gunsche

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:24 pm Post subject: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Reply with quote

What I have read and seen about FJ StuG crews are that they wear regular Luftwaffe ranks.
Thank you Dima for clarifying this mess  Wink

Rep: 60.6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:25 pm Post subject: Re: CC LSA: A Bridge Too Far Reply with quote

looks very nice  Cool

We are the pilgrims, master. We shall go
 always a little further, it may be
beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow,
 across that angry or that glimmering sea.

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:04 pm Post subject: Re: A Bridge Too Far: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Reply with quote

Please read this........

http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-bridge-too-far-mod-10-to-lsa/downloads/a-bridge-too-far-mod-10

heia Safari!!

Gunsche

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:21 pm Post subject: Re: A Bridge Too Far: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Reply with quote

Oh, damn! Forgot FireFox's mod for LSA, I only remembered the CC5 one.
No problem, I will change the name of the mod as soon as I figure out a new one.
Thanks for pointing that one out, DAK :wink:

How about "It Never Snows In September"? Wink

Dima

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:17 pm Post subject: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Reply with quote

Rox!

Gunsche

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:37 am Post subject: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Reply with quote

For now the name of this mod is 'It Never Snows In September' until further notice.

And now a look at some of the new contentes on the vehicular aspect of this mod!

In the attached image you can see some of the new combat vehicles (and an old one, just to show what we were doing with the old graphics  Wink  ).
You will recognise some of the vehicle graphics, like the Cromwell and the modified JagdPz IV, and they come from GJS 4.4 for CC5, but most of the graphics are built on the stock LSA ones. I have been trying to make them look like the real-life ones, but its hard as 1 pixel sometimes is too big but you can't make it smaller.

Back to the image. you will notice two trucks and a car. The hell you may think, I know that many players doesn't want to see jeeps and trucks in CC but we wanted to add them just to get some ad-hoc feeling for the germans.
For example: when Gräbner made his dash across the Arnhem Bridge he had alot of his infantry mounted in his halftracks, the rest in trucks. Many of these trucks were reinforced with sandfilled barrels, sheets of metall and sandbags in order to provide soem protection for the passangers. It even seems that civilan trucks and even a garbage truck (!) was used in the attack.

And the truck with the 20mm FlaK is a bit of, how should I put it, the artist's interpetation?
Information on KG Krafft mentions light flak guns and these were either towed or selfpropelled ( most likely an missunderstanding of motorized=towed, I think)

You might notice an rather odd shadow for the Kübel, but no worries, Im going to fix it.

Challenger A30 is basicly an extended Cromwell hull (with thinner frontal armour) and a large turret with a 17-pdr gun.  It can be found with the Welsh Guards ( Only 2-3 of them, they didn't recive any replacements A30 since they were phased out for the Sherman Firefly).

Not on picture are:
Sherman III
Stuart III
US Recce Jeep w/50.cal
2cm Polsten AA Gun (mobile)
Sherman II
Wasp Mk.II carrier
Humber Mk IIIA
Humber IV (+ plus a captured Humber used by KG Gräbner)
10.5cm LG 40 Recoiless gun
12cm GrW42 mortar
PzKpfw III Ausf N
3.7cm FlaK 43 (mobile)
2cm FlaK 38 (stationary)
PzKpfw IV Ausf G
7.62cm IKH 290 (r) Infantry gun

New Vehicles.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.37 KB
 Viewed:  40714 Time(s)

New Vehicles.JPG

Nomada_Firefox

Rep: 32.9
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:28 am Post subject: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Reply with quote

I have not problems if you name the mod equal to my mod but obviously it would be worse for you and a problem for players. But at the end, I took the name from the film.

Quote:
I had originally planned to post this on the 17th,

This is funny, the unique way for release a mod in a exact date is to think the date when you finish the mod. But the chances from release it are very few, at least viewed from my old experience making mods.

"Nada escapa a mis dominios".
Clan Nomada Web Site
FirefoxCCMods Web Site
(Only www.FirefoxCCMods.com is a English web site).

Dima

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:29 am Post subject: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Reply with quote

Quote:
Back to the image. you will notice two trucks and a car. The hell you may think, I know that many players doesn't want to see jeeps and trucks in CC but we wanted to add them just to get some ad-hoc feeling for the germans.
For example: when Gräbner made his dash across the Arnhem Bridge he had alot of his infantry mounted in his halftracks, the rest in trucks. Many of these trucks were reinforced with sandfilled barrels, sheets of metall and sandbags in order to provide soem protection for the passangers. It even seems that civilan trucks and even a garbage truck (!) was used in the attack.

bad idea IMO.

Gunsche

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:08 pm Post subject: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Reply with quote

Quote:
I have not problems if you name the mod equal to my mod but obviously it would be worse for you and a problem for players. But at the end, I took the name from the film.

Thanks Nomada, you're right about the confusion of two mods with the same name!
I'll stick with It never Snows now.

Quote:
This is funny, the unique way for release a mod in a exact date is to think the date when you finish the mod. But the chances from release it are very few, at least viewed from my old experience making mods.

Yeah, but it's fun to be unique some times  Wink
I just wanted to finish a few things so I could include it in the news update/announcement but I got sidetracked. How ever, the work on the final product might be over by christmas (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

Quote:
bad idea IMO.

It already was in real-life. But I'll keep the 'poor mans's APCs' there for now and after release; players can gather their opinions and post them.
If majority wants to get rid of them, so be it.
I'm not impossible  :wink:

Notice the three 'I's  Razz

Gunsche

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:31 am Post subject: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Reply with quote

Update on the past weekend and yesterdays work:
Finished tinkering with the weapons and vehicle file (some values were tweeked, for example too strong armour on the B2) and finished the last on the graphics department for the vehicles and guns, however there is still a problem with the FlaK 88's turret being not centered on it's base.

Added two new british units :
Crusader AA Mk.II ( Mobile anti-aircraft for armoured formations, Guards AD and the 8th armoured brigade attached to the 43rd Wessex ID)
ML 4.3-inch Heavy Mortar (infantry divisions only)

Have also been revising the FPools file (again!) and the british 50th Northumbrian and the 43rd Wessex infantry divisions are 100% completed (I only need pictures for the brigade commanders).

Up next is the BGs' from the Guards Armoured Division!

Gunsche

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:57 am Post subject: Re: It Never Snows In September: A mod for Last Stand Arnhem Reply with quote

Have finished all allied battlegroups, including their reinforcements.

Going to change some of the germans forcepools as some of the bgs are missing some start units and some reinforcements units.
Also messing around with the menus and main screen. A new main screen can be found in the first post in this thread.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Last Stand Arnhem
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jump to: